Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On a theme with several recent posts - currently working my way through Charles Dickens. Everyone regards his work as classic, but never read any before. Very descriptive narratives but the language takes a bit of getting used to.
I love Dickens and have read most of his main novels. The language is one thing in that I had to teach myself to accept slow reading, but as he wrote in episodes and often has multiple plot lines running consecutively, lines that run in parallel, converge and sometimes cross, keeping track of the characters and where they were introduced and are in the plot line they are in can be tricky and I often find myself flicking back to check…and when I find it i often read a few pages to reestablish their part in proceedings.

My favourite…dunno…but Bleak House is superb. Got Dombey and Son next.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so after a couple of pretty short adventures - Beau Geste and A High Wind in Jamaica - now for something completely different.

A book I’ve mused about reading for many a moon…Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Apparently his masterwork ahead of WaP…which I may or may not subsequently embark upon depending upon how I get on with AK. But if I can read and enjoy the longest of Dickens then I am not daunted by AK.
Well…it took a while but yesterday I finished Anna Karenin. When did I start on it? Well only July 26th. Yup…11months for all of its 1000 or so pages (I’ve read other stuff along the way).

I savoured it and loved it…brilliant and deep characterisations…Tolstoy’s genius…and a very philosophical examination of life, the human condition, and what it’s all about - if we care to stop, open our eyes, and see the truth of what is clearly before us - and appreciate the difference between what we want and think we need, and what is right and good.

And on the flight home yesterday started and already half way through The Enemy Below, by D A Rayner. A short gripping WW2 tale of a British destroyer and German U-boat. Written in 1956 Rayner had been there, seen it, and done it. So lots of real operational detail as the destroyer tracks and hunts down the sub.

Next up main read? Maybe something a bit lighter than Tolstoy - both in tone and pages 😳

But as for AK…go on. If you read older classic stuff…treat yourself…it’s easy to read (though lots of characters and relationships to keep track of) and as the chapters are short it can be read in bite-sized chunks. It’s worth it.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just started book 9 in the Detective Inspector Ridpath series, written by M.J. Lee. The back story, book 1, starts with him returning to work after battling cancer, and he is seconded to the Coroner’s Office. The various stories are centred around south west Manchester(modern day), and having lived around there for 10yrs there is an added interest.

Some great plot twists, and the occasional unhappy twists. Easy reading but quite gripping at times.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a big book of Jeeves and Wooster. Utterly brilliant. Thing is every bit of speech is done in my head with Fry and Laurie, THE best Jeeves and Wooster portrayals on TV.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I always know when I have read a good book. It takes two days.
The latest was a day and a half.

“The Last fighting Tommy”.

The life of Harry Patch. The only surviving veteran of the trenches. Sadly no longer with us. It basically goes through his own life story and not just about his time during 2 world wars.
A fantastic read, sad, educational.

D

Deleted member 1147

For those that like the Slough House books, I'm currently reading Mick Herron's latest "The Secret Hours".

Usual excellent stuff

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to admit that I am not currently reading anything.
I would usually read a book a week but haven't turned a page for a good few months now . It's not a strange thing for me as when I get in the right frame of mind I will read the the small print on a four pint of milk bottle, I have about twenty books at home that I haven't read yet but when in the mood they won't be unread for long .

If you are looking for a good read then I would highly recommend a book called "the power of one" by Bryce Courtney. It's a story set in south Africa just before the 2nd world war about a young boy growing up and his trials of life as he grows.

TheHeron

Visit site
Been steadily working my way through all of Stephen Kings stuff in no particular order. Gotten round to 'Carrie' earlier this week and whilst it's a touch dated, it's still very readable.

RichA

Visit site
Listening to Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection, read by Stephen Fry.
The stories are good but, to have created Holmes, Conan-Doyle must have been an intolerable know-it-all himself.
Like Dickens, it feels like he was paid by the word.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I might be ditching the former and immersing myself in another Rebus tale. Not read a bad one yet.
I've read all of the Rebus books. I thought they wobbled about 2/3 through the series but then came back again strongly. A good set.

If you like Rebus, have you read the Thorne books by Mark Billingham? Also very strong as a series, similar to Rebus but different enough.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've read all of the Rebus books. I thought they wobbled about 2/3 through the series but then came back again strongly. A good set.

If you like Rebus, have you read the Thorne books by Mark Billingham? Also very strong as a series, similar to Rebus but different enough.
I'm also currently reading In a House of Lies.

It's enjoyable, but a bit odd as Rebus isn't really the central character any more.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm also currently reading In a House of Lies.

It's enjoyable, but a bit odd as Rebus isn't really the central character any more.
It does take a little bit of adjusting to but I thought he did it well. The other characters that come to the front are ones that we have known for a while so it was a natural progression for me. He dealt with a tricky issue, the ageing of a character. Do you ignore it or do you move with it.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I’ve tried them, but the writing is just a little weak for my liking. Not a patch on Rankin.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It does take a little bit of adjusting to but I thought he did it well. The other characters that come to the front are ones that we have known for a while so it was a natural progression for me. He dealt with a tricky issue, the ageing of a character. Do you ignore it or do you move with it.
I’m fine with Rebus being older and not in great health, but it is pretty implausible how a copper who has been retired for years is able to involve himself so deeply in an active case. In the real world, I’d expect he would be told in no uncertain terms to keep his nose out or else.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have to admit that I am not currently reading anything.
I would usually read a book a week but haven't turned a page for a good few months now . It's not a strange thing for me as when I get in the right frame of mind I will read the the small print on a four pint of milk bottle, I have about twenty books at home that I haven't read yet but when in the mood they won't be unread for long .

If you are looking for a good read then I would highly recommend a book called "the power of one" by Bryce Courtney. It's a story set in south Africa just before the 2nd world war about a young boy growing up and his trials of life as he grows.

Hey I read that about 30 years ago, it was terrific, think there was a 2nd novel as well?

I’ve just started a sci-fi book that’s won a load of awards called Ancillary Justice, it’s a bit slow but I’ll stick with it.