Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After swearing I'd given up on them, and against my better judgement, I bought the latest Reacher instalment, No Plan B, written by Lee Child's less talented brother.
I finished it this morning. Possibly the worst book I've paid to read. That's definitely the last one I'm wasting money and time on.
I said this after the previous one and held firm. I'm pleased to hear I was right to. Such a shame.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope you enjoyed it to the end. It's my all time favourite book. I've bought it several times in paperback, kindle and audiobook and read it at least once a year

Well this is a well timed response.

I read the book start to finish whilst on by the pool on holiday in Lanzarote last year.

I saw your reply first thing this morning, as I sit by the swimming pool in the same Lanzarote villa I was in last year 😂😂

Regarding the book. I thought it was absolutely phenomenal. My only real experience of Clancy is through either the screenplays or computer games etc.

Hunt for the red October being one of my most rewatched films ever.

Red storm rising however was different level stuff. The sheer scale of the global conflict and the Logistical nightmare of weaving a human story around all the chaos was genius.

I have to say being an ex Electronic Warfare director on RN frigates. His detailed descriptions of anti submarine warfare where worryingly close to being accurate.

He must have had sign off from the powers that be to publish certain parts of that book.

The anti ship missile defence warfare geek in me, was beaming ear to ear reading about the TU22 Backfire / AS4 kitchen raids on the Atlantic fleets.

Mainly because I spent a large portion of my life either practicing to defend against the Ruskies, or sat in real life shadowing the Russian navy.

I also loved the Politburo aspect of it all. The sneaky buggers. 🤣

Loved the book and loved the attention to detail. The bloke knows how to write a story bursting with worryingly accurate terminology and tactics etc.

I would say. Red storm rising is absolutely begging for a multi series long play TV series.

It would be spectacular if someone brought that to HBO or Netflix etc.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you've not read them, Rainbow Six and Without Remorse are awesome books. I think his best.

Late reply sorry 🤣

It’s on my list now mate. Thank you.

Having a bash at a different genre currently. Grand Sci-fi.

Just finished ‘consider Phlebas’ by Iain M banks. Which was brilliant

Just started ‘player of games’

Must admit that only being 1 1/3 books into the whole ‘culture series’ I am excited to see what they bring.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bob Mortimer, The Satsuma Complex. It's similar to Richard Osman books and you can almost hear Bob Mortimer speaking the lines. It is very him. It isn't going to win prizes but it is a very easy way to pass the time.
If you have not done already.

Read his bio. Well when I say read, I mean download the audio book with Bob narrating the thing.

Jesus Christ I have not laughed as much in years. It’s such a sweet and poignant book but also (retracted swear word) hysterical.

I’d give it 11/10.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well this is a well timed response.

I read the book start to finish whilst on by the pool on holiday in Lanzarote last year.

I saw your reply first thing this morning, as I sit by the swimming pool in the same Lanzarote villa I was in last year 😂😂

Regarding the book. I thought it was absolutely phenomenal. My only real experience of Clancy is through either the screenplays or computer games etc.

Hunt for the red October being one of my most rewatched films ever.

Red storm rising however was different level stuff. The sheer scale of the global conflict and the Logistical nightmare of weaving a human story around all the chaos was genius.

I have to say being an ex Electronic Warfare director on RN frigates. His detailed descriptions of anti submarine warfare where worryingly close to being accurate.

He must have had sign off from the powers that be to publish certain parts of that book.

The anti ship missile defence warfare geek in me, was beaming ear to ear reading about the TU22 Backfire / AS4 kitchen raids on the Atlantic fleets.

Mainly because I spent a large portion of my life either practicing to defend against the Ruskies, or sat in real life shadowing the Russian navy.

I also loved the Politburo aspect of it all. The sneaky buggers. 🤣

Loved the book and loved the attention to detail. The bloke knows how to write a story bursting with worryingly accurate terminology and tactics etc.

I would say. Red storm rising is absolutely begging for a multi series long play TV series.

It would be spectacular if someone brought that to HBO or Netflix etc.

Yeah I never tire at his use of the perspective of just a few dozen individuals within a 'world war' and the roles each plays from the different services on both 'sides' for such a big plot
I also love that the audiobook is about 36hours long so it passes the time on lots of commutes

I'll second the recommendation for Rainbow Six (its a close 2nd fav) and about the same length of book, and again I've read it at least a dozen times
(I've only one tiny minor plot gripe, pretty inconsequential really, it just bugs me... but I won't mention it yet. let me know when you read it)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have not done already.

Read his bio. Well when I say read, I mean download the audio book with Bob narrating the thing.

Jesus Christ I have not laughed as much in years. It’s such a sweet and poignant book but also (retracted swear word) hysterical.

I’d give it 11/10.
I have already read his book, never thought of the audio. I'd agree with your summary, a lovely book, very Bob.

RichA

Visit site
Take it from your pal Tug.

It’s 500 times better listening to bob tell the tale.

It’s both long and important 🤣
Thank you. Listening to it this morning on a long car journey.
It is very, very good.
I don't usually bother with autobios or bios, as they always seem either self-indulgent or fawning. This is delightful.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you. Listening to it this morning on a long car journey.
It is very, very good.
I don't usually bother with autobios or bios, as they always seem either self-indulgent or fawning. This is delightful.
Good stuff. Try not to drive when you get to the samurai sword story.

I laughed that much I’d have crashed the car 😅

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Going on holiday for near two weeks pretty soon. Hopefully I‘ll be able to finish Anna Karenin that I have been very slowly reading for a few months…I did say slowly - don’t think Tolstoy wrote it for rapid reading. On p500 and something - only 350 to go 🙄

Meanwhile I’ll also do a little bit of quick WW2 adventure/thriller reading D A Rayner…The Enemy Below. A bit of Destroyer-U boat cat and mouse.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slowly making my way through the the full collection of H G Wells. Free download from Amazon. Read one book and then read something more modern before going back. The Time Machine bears not much resemblance to the original film of the same name but was an enjoyable read. Some of them are hard going though such as Love and Mr Lewisham. I have absolutely no idea what it is supposed to be about.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Death on the Nile, Agatha Christie. I've never read one of her books before so I thought I'd give it a go. I was worried it might be dated in the language and feel stilted but those worries were soon put to one side. Very easy to read, the story is bobbing along quite nicely.

The good news of course, she has written a few so I've got plenty to work through 😄

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Death on the Nile, Agatha Christie. I've never read one of her books before so I thought I'd give it a go. I was worried it might be dated in the language and feel stilted but those worries were soon put to one side. Very easy to read, the story is bobbing along quite nicely.

The good news of course, she has written a few so I've got plenty to work through 😄

I’ve gone old school too. The adventures of Tom Sawyer

And I’m probably due my 7th/8th read of When the lion feeds by Wilbur Smith

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a theme with several recent posts - currently working my way through Charles Dickens. Everyone regards his work as classic, but never read any before. Very descriptive narratives but the language takes a bit of getting used to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wondering whether listening to a book reading is the same as reading the book myself.

I avoid screen adaptations of books I have lined up to read as I want to conjure up my own version of the world and characters the author sets out to create, and have had same thoughts about radio adaptations…but a radio (or similar) reading of a book feels different.

So have started listening to a reading (albeit abridged) of Catch 22 On BBC Sounds. Just feels equivalent to reading it myself in that I still create in my minds eye that which reading does.

And wondering of other avid readers thoughts on this.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On a theme with several recent posts - currently working my way through Charles Dickens. Everyone regards his work as classic, but never read any before. Very descriptive narratives but the language takes a bit of getting used to.
I love Dickens and have read most of his main novels. The language is one thing in that I had to teach myself to accept slow reading and not get frustrated. But as he wrote in episodes and often has multiple plot lines running consecutively, lines that run in parallel, converge and sometimes cross, keeping track of the characters and where they were introduced and are in the plot line they are in can be tricky and I often find myself flicking back to check…and when I find it i often read a few pages to reestablish their part in proceedings. Just makes reading an extended exercise.

My favourite…dunno…but Bleak House is superb. Next Dickens up? Dombey and Son.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I said this after the previous one and held firm. I'm pleased to hear I was right to. Such a shame.
I only paid 80p to read it as I just reserve books at the library now instead of buying them. Not the worst book ever, but probably won't bother with the next one.

Might be time to read the whole series again though - due to fading memory with older age? :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only paid 80p to read it as I just reserve books at the library now instead of buying them. Not the worst book ever, but probably won't bother with the next one.

Might be time to read the whole series again though - due to fading memory with older age? :)
I do the same library wise, brilliant service. Every so often I buy one that is missing in a series but we can hardly begrudge that when we read so many for free.