Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting towards the end of Mel Brooks's autobiography - All About Me.

A fairly hefty tome at 451 pages but one of the most entertaining biogs I have read for a very long time.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey I read that about 30 years ago, it was terrific, think there was a 2nd novel as well?

I’ve just started a sci-fi book that’s won a load of awards called Ancillary Justice, it’s a bit slow but I’ll stick with it.
Yeah the second book was called Tandia, it's the name of his girlfriend. Again a good read .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Last Devil to Die, the latest Richard Osman book. As good as the others but with an added, very moving thread. The odd new character and some existing ones developed further.

An excellent read, the characters are excellent and the plot very clever.

If you haven't read any of them, do it. They make you feel warm inside.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah the second book was called Tandia, it's the name of his girlfriend. Again a good read .
Agree and The Potato Factory, all Bryce Courtney's books I have read I have enjoyed and The Power of One is one of my all time favourites.

Dragging my way through the first Michael Connelly 'Harry Bosh' novel, don't think I will bother with the rest.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Following on from Robin Ince's Bad Book Club, his latest title is Bibliomaniac, a nationwide tour of bookshops.

But, oh dear. The great Blackwell's in Oxford when I went there last week is now owned by Waterstones.
I knew something was wrong when entering the subterranean cavern known as the Norrington Room.
A member of staff told me why.
A day earlier I was in my favourite 2nd hand bookshop in Hay on Wye - The Cinema Bookshop - to find they now sell new books as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stone Cross, Marc Cameron. US Marshall story. Very decent.

Art of Death, Laurence Anholt. British detective but quite quirky, a bit different.

Happy to recommend both.

robertmin

Banned
Visit site
Well…it took a while but yesterday I finished Anna Karenin. When did I start on it? Well only July 26th. Yup…11months for all of its 1000 or so pages (I’ve read other stuff along the way).

I savoured it and loved it…brilliant and deep characterisations…Tolstoy’s genius…and a very philosophical examination of life, the human condition, and what it’s all about - if we care to stop, open our eyes, and see the truth of what is clearly before us - and appreciate the difference between what we want and think we need, and what is right and good.

And on the flight home yesterday started and already half way through The Enemy Below, by D A Rayner. A short gripping WW2 tale of a British destroyer and German U-boat. Written in 1956 Rayner had been there, seen it, and done it. So lots of real operational detail as the destroyer tracks and hunts down the sub.

Next up main read? Maybe something a bit lighter than Tolstoy - both in tone and pages 😳

But as for AK…go on. If you read older classic stuff…treat yourself…it’s easy to read (though lots of characters and relationships to keep track of) and as the chapters are short it can be read in bite-sized chunks. It’s worth it. And there is one more book in the process - Experiencing Architecture - 2nd Edition by Steen Eiler Rasmussen. I study architecture, and reading such a book is like a routine for me. And actually, this one is nice and I think I'll use it in my dissertation. I still haven't chosen the theme, but I'm reading some info about possible architectural dissertation topics and have some ideas. I've also found this list of topics and they all are so interesting and so different, and I have to think about it. But at least with books, it's easier because I've already read a lot, and have a lot of recommendations.
I read The Enemy Below, by D A Rayner previous month and I really liked it. I'm very interested in WWII history and stories of the sea so I enjoyed the book, but I've not seen the movie.

And now I'm reading Stalingrad by Antony Beevor - I've read less than a half, but I can say it's a good reading.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just read all 19 in the Roy Grace series by Peter James, and now revisiting an old friend Victor the assassin.
I gave up on the Roy Grace books but I am loving the Victor the Assassin series. I don't know if it was you or someone else on here who recommended them but whoever it was, thank you.

I'm currently trying the Mark Dawson books about John Milton (assassin). Early days but decent. He's no Victor, 😄, but they are pretty readable.

On a slightly different tack, I've just finished the second Laurance Anholt book about the Mindful Detective, Art of Death was the 1st, Festival of Death the 2nd. Police, mystery books but a bit quirky. If you like the Richard Osman style of writing, try these books out.

CountLippe

Visit site
Our Kind of Traitor by Le Carre
His usual excellence
Just finished that myself, enjoyed it. I'm a recent convert to Le Carre and stocked up on a load of his books, and wondering which direction to go in. I've done Spy Who Came In From The Cold and Tinker Tailor. Do I complete the Karla Trology first? The early novels seem alot bigger that his later work.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just finished that myself, enjoyed it. I'm a recent convert to Le Carre and stocked up on a load of his books, and wondering which direction to go in. I've done Spy Who Came In From The Cold and Tinker Tailor. Do I complete the Karla Trology first? The early novels seem alot bigger that his later work.
My favourites are the Karla trilogy, Russia House, Perfect Spy, A most wanted man, and a call for the dead

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Punishment She Deserves - Elizabeth George.
A Lynley and Havers story from five years ago. Good, solid writing and plot.