Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I gave up on the Roy Grace books but I am loving the Victor the Assassin series. I don't know if it was you or someone else on here who recommended them but whoever it was, thank you.

I'm currently trying the Mark Dawson books about John Milton (assassin). Early days but decent. He's no Victor, 😄, but they are pretty readable.

On a slightly different tack, I've just finished the second Laurance Anholt book about the Mindful Detective, Art of Death was the 1st, Festival of Death the 2nd. Police, mystery books but a bit quirky. If you like the Richard Osman style of writing, try these books out.
Also working my way through them. Absolutely terrible plots, and very formulaic - but somehow highly readable. Currently on book 7 so can't be as bad as I think.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same Time Tomorrow by Bob Cryer, son of Barry. It's a biography of his dad.

It's a story of his life with examples of his gags every 3 pages or so. I'm sat here giggling away. They are old school, obviously, set up and then hit with the punchline. My kind of humour. Nothing nasty, no one hurt, gags not just stories.

If anyone liked Barry Cryer, or just likes old school comedy, give it a read.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Part way through - All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr.
I don't know what caused me to buy it but I am glad I did. Marvellous, absorbing, moving, beautiful prose.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The savage storm by James Holland.
The battle for Italy 1943.

What stunningly heartbreaking written book.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Finished Michael Ondaatje’s The English Patient.

Been meaning to watch the 9 Oscar winning film adaptation but the book has been sitting at my MiLs since ‘forever’. And so I chose to read the book first, And I am so glad I have. It’s wonderful. Beautiful prose for a complex story of love in wartime.

And though I obviously now know the plot just a quick glance at the film trailer tells me that the film beautifully crystallises what are, at the moment having read the book, my own imagining built from the Ondaatje words of the people and places.

Next up. Alan Paton’s Cry, The Beloved Country. As in just 5 weeks time we are off to SA for a 2+ week holiday.

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Just finished book 7 of The Primal Hunter by Zogarth - LitRPG about a Hunter, pure trash and low level popcorn books and I love them.

D

Deleted member 1147

A Spy Alone by Charles Beaumont
Very good so far. He’s a retired SIS operative, so it seems to be plausible as well as entertaining.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
John Cooper Clarke - I Wanna Be Yours.

His patter is so consistently good, he manages to make 20 years as a heroin addict interesting and amusing.

I listened to the audiobook, which he narrates. His deadpan style is perfect.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A question for those who like a bit of sci-fi…

I‘ve had Frank Herbert’s Dune sitting on my ‘to read’ shelf for years but never got to it. Now have the two film adaptations waiting to be watched. Should I read the book first.

Generally I do as I enjoy that we create our own imagined universes when reading - and watching a film first ruins that. Bottom line is that if the films don’t really do the book justice then I will not watch the films…yet,

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
The Last Dance by Mark Billingham. Not a Tom Thorne book, a new detective. Lighter in tone, very witty but still with murder in it. Very enjoyable.
Just took that back to the library today and was looking to see if anyone else had read it.

I'm a big Tom Thorne fan and enjoyed the new guy too.

I randomly read my first Tom Thorne novel, which was recommended to me by my wife after she had just read it - maybe the third or 4th in the series? - and then ordered all of the rest from the start in order over a year or so (I read other books too) via the library at 60p-75p a go for each book if they weren't available locally. ;)

Just finished The Match by Harlan Coben yesterday.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just took that back to the library today and was looking to see if anyone else had read it.

I'm a big Tom Thorne fan and enjoyed the new guy too.

I randomly read my first Tom Thorne novel, which was recommended to me by my wife after she had just read it - maybe the third or 4th in the series? - and then ordered all of the rest from the start in order over a year or so (I read other books too) via the library at 60p-75p a go for each book if they weren't available locally. ;)

Just finished The Match by Harlan Coben yesterday.
We are very lucky in that we can order any book on the Northumberland county library system and it will get delivered to the library of your own choice for free. It's a great system, i use it a lot. I wouldn't begrudge a 60-75p charge for moving books around, it would be worth it. The library system is brilliant, people should use it more.

I was really pleased with his new character, definitely looking forward to book 2