Booking system v no booking system

D

Deleted member 23270

But why should someone else who would like to go out at 10:00 be stopped because there is a roll up on.
They could join the rollup or you could also argue why should 1 group prevent a whole rollup from going out when they want?

D

Deleted member 15344

Is your roll up open to both men and women? We both work so a Saturday am time is precious to us. We want to play golf together on a Saturday when there is no comp. We also need a set time due to commitments with GD later on.

I can still remember a man shouting at me on the first tee "That I had taken his tee time" Found out later that he was part of a rollup who had always had that time prior to tee bookings and before our time at the club. Also used to be men only playing on a Saturday morning if there wasn't a men's competition on. I did make it my mission to always book that time for some reason;)

That’s the one thing a booking system has created for us - a lady’s roll up on the Saturday , they have up to 20 each Saturday now and no one bats an eyelid , they can book anytime they wish

I always now ask any roll who wants to go back to non booking - what would you say if another roll up wants to turn up at the same time as you ?

The excuse of “well it’s what we have done over the last x years” doesn’t wash anymore - every member has the right to play at any time they wish when there isn’t a comp on - it’s what we have now and it works

Rolls up have no more priority over a group of 4

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is your complaint just about roll ups? What about Ladies mornings blocking times out? Every comp, weekend or otherwise?...it's at least every other Saturday during the 4-5 warmer months....not to mention Sunday Open comps. I was blocked (after already having a tee time) yesterday because of a Union league comp. The zillions of "visiting parties" taking lots of slots? There are lots of things other than roll ups that take up pretty good sized chunks of tee slots. Why is it that roll ups seem to get under some peoples skin....? Yet....they seem to ignore all the other events that take that same 10am slot you want.

I actually don't want a 10:00am slot as the course is already usually busy and slowing down. Just picked that as an example. Roll ups from what I've seen are not mixed so I wouldn't be able to play in one. Ladies roll up if it is still going after Covid is on a Tuesday morning. I can't play in that as I now work mornings. Ladies block out some times on a Thursday for comps. Times are open before and afterwards. Men block out loads more times on a Saturday. Not every week over winter though but due to closures or vile weather we have had limited time when we can play. Only times available for those not playing in the comp afterwards in the season but I don't fancy a five hour round. Playing nine after them can be bad enough. Open comps are not every week at ours but yes there will also be Sundays we can't play.

Looking at it now there is only a Sunday that HID and I can play 18 together and even that's changing as we are trying to get grand daughter out on the course again on a Sunday and at the moment with her diabetes nine holes is enough for her. In fact she only managed four on Sunday as she went so low:(

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Here's, for me, why I like a booking system.
I'm done for the day workwise....
I could wander up to club and have a solo round....but..
I don't know if the tees will be free, whether there's 3 or 4 groups waiting on each tee.....
Yesterday was a write-off due to the weather so today could be busy....and the Pro shop can't see the tees and won't know how busy the course is...
But.........if only there was a way..:unsure:
Too, a chance and went up.
Virtually nobody about.
Went straight out onto the 1st.
But had I been 20 minutes later id have been behind a 4 ball and 2 x 3 balls....
So I got lucky.....

D

Deleted member 23270

Too, a chance and went up.
Virtually nobody about.
Went straight out onto the 1st.
But had I been 20 minutes later id have been behind a 4 ball and 2 x 3 balls....
So I got lucky.....
Or you could have joined one of the 3balls.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a female junior in our roll up. Her old man rocks up but more than happy to let her go out with any of the roll up, especially some of the better players as he wants her to see what they do well. No-one minds and she is more than capable off her 21 handicap of beating a lot of the field. We've had women playing in it and I like to think the Saturday one I run is the most accessible in the club

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have booking system, been in place since covid and members voted to keep it in place. Can book 8 days in advance which I think is better than the 3 weeks that some people are mentioning. There must be lots more cancellations when people realise 20 days later they can’t play
That’s the biggest problem at ours.
People book and just don’t turn up.
Sheet is full but course is empty.
Our members have voted to end the booking system and this was given as the main reason.

Boomy

Visit site
That’s the biggest problem at ours.
People book and just don’t turn up.
Sheet is full but course is empty.
Our members have voted to end the booking system and this was given as the main reason.

It’s standard procedure for us to check in with the pro (or asst) before teeing off so he can mark off who turns up, and who doesn’t. I believe they then get contacted for a no show.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s standard procedure for us to check in with the pro (or asst) before teeing off so he can mark off who turns up, and who doesn’t. I believe they then get contacted for a no show.
Personally I always turn up but at the moment checking in with COVID precautions just ain't worth the hassle.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is your roll up open to both men and women? We both work so a Saturday am time is precious to us. We want to play golf together on a Saturday when there is no comp. We also need a set time due to commitments with GD later on.

I can still remember a man shouting at me on the first tee "That I had taken his tee time" Found out later that he was part of a rollup who had always had that time prior to tee bookings and before our time at the club. Also used to be men only playing on a Saturday morning if there wasn't a men's competition on. I did make it my mission to always book that time for some reason;)
Yes it is - though most ladies choose to play in their own groups prior to the rollup. As an aside my club is, this year for the first time, opening up medals and other suitable competitions to mixed groups. This means that, in medals for instance, a couple will be able to play together in a group of three with the third player being either a lady or a gent.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The pro turn up and play arguments seem to use roll ups as the key defence. For those who like no booking, is there a non roll up reason why?
Yes, the ability to just turn up, meet your friends and get in the queue with balls in the hat to decide the groupings. We are normally between 3 and 9, so not a massive number:)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, the ability to just turn up, meet your friends and get in the queue with balls in the hat to decide the groupings. We are normally between 3 and 9, so not a massive number:)
That could still happen with a booking system though. We have a group that books 3 x 4 ball slots on a Saturday morning but mix up the groups when they get there. Same idea but booked.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That could still happen with a booking system though. We have a group that books 3 x 4 ball slots on a Saturday morning but mix up the groups when they get there. Same idea but booked.
We didn't , just book your 4 ball in the hope you got there first, which you often didn't.
No tee times is more relaxed, plus if the fog is down or the course is closed for inspection (as recently with all the rain) it's not a problem. If you had a time booked, it used to cause mayhem.

sunshine

Visit site

So the only reason you have provided why it's better not to have bookings, is that it suits you because you have all the time in the world. :rolleyes:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely no chance of getting three four balls on a Saturday morning at ours.
We book for the comps now that’s all.