Booking system v no booking system

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Regarding turning up to see a roll up already on the tee, most members knew when they went out (and new members were told about roll ups and "encouraged" to join if only to meet members and get a regular game) and if a group came onto the tee as the roll up was going out we'd let them go first. We'd also make use of the 10th tee and split the group in two if it was large (+20) and to make it quicker. No tee times had worked for decades before Covid and it has really had an effect on how our roll ups operate, the cameraderie these give, and to a degree has taken a part of the soul of the club away. Also, I would argue the roll ups account for the majority of the wet and dry trade, especially at weekends and so would be affecting the numbers

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We're a small 9 holer, pre-covid we were turn up on the first tee and go, same for comps where there was a set time where it was comp players only.

Covid of course brought in a booking system, and we will never go back, it's been a revelation, and why some courses are reversing this is beyond me.

Anyway, I don't see why this should be a major impediment, surely proximity, quality of course and friendliness of the club trump how you book?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We didn't have a booking system before Covid, it was just rock up and play. If there was a queue of players on the tee, you joined the queue and followed everyone out. Covid caused us to introduce a booking system, which we've since voted to retain. We can only book 7 days in advance, and we can only book a 4 ball, we can't block book out individual times on a rolling basis, unless you're quick on the trigger each evening at 6pm when the next booking for that day next week goes live. We use IG and it all works fine on the phone app.

Originally, I liked the rock up and play when you want. We knew that certain roll ups went out at specific times at the weekend, you stayed clear unless you wanted to join them. Competitions did block a morning, and you had to book your time for them, otherwise, it was pretty easy to turn up and play whenever you wanted. The roll up I play with can have 40 players, turning up for the draw at 10 and being drawn in the last group out could mean an hour standing in the queue on the tee.

Now that we've been using IG for a couple of years, I like the booking system more, and wouldn't want to go back to a turn up and play system. I know that if I want to book a slot next week, I just open the phone app at 6pm and select my time and all good to go. Sometimes, there may be a lot of players in before me, sometimes not, but I don't go out early doors anymore, usually around lunch time, or early afternoon, or after work. I don't usually have problems booking any of these. It's also easy for me to see who's playing, I know which slow groups I want to avoid and can see whether they're out and book round them accordingly. If I haven't booked and want something at short notice, or maybe forgot or was busy at 6pm, I don't usually have problems booking the afternoon slots.

Our Sunday swindle does a grand job, we stick our names in the hat the Friday before, the boss does a random draw and provides a list of groups with a suggested tee time. The first player on the list of each group is tasked with making his groups booking at the suggested time. I'm not aware of anyone having major issues with the system and it seems to work very well for the main part.

Personally, I think the booking system is a plus for the course.
This is my place and it works for me just as it works for you as described.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We're a small 9 holer, pre-covid we were turn up on the first tee and go, same for comps where there was a set time where it was comp players only.

Covid of course brought in a booking system, and we will never go back, it's been a revelation, and why some courses are reversing this is beyond me.

Anyway, I don't see why this should be a major impediment, surely proximity, quality of course and friendliness of the club trump how you book?

It’s not that lack of booking system that’s my concern as such, it’s the not knowing whether I’ll be out for 4 hours or 6 hours that makes me a bit nervous about it. My wife’s pretty good to be fair, but I’m not sure that would continue if Sunday roast was ruined!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Beware booking systems. We have one and the seniors book virtually all times on a Tuesday and Thursday morning, then the ladies get a fee times. Saturday is comp day so most morning times are gone that day as well. If I wasn't in the seniors I would be playing elsewhere. Check out each club and see what they have in place and the practicalities of how they work.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I understand it's all about personal choice but I really struggle to understand why a booking system is so despised by some. Surely knowing your tee time in advance and not having to hang around if you arrive at the same time as many other groups is a good thing? Not everyone has the luxury of being able to spend an unspecified amount of time at the golf club.

It may be presumptious but would I be right in thinking that the majority in favour of no booking are long term members who would be eligible for the senior section?

I also don't understand the complaint of booking systems creating the "fastest finger" scenario and prime tee slots going quickly. The roll -up system does not create any extra tee times so if everyone who used the booking system to book a prime tee time just turned up instead along with those who missed out - you still have a situation where there are more people wanting to play between certain times than tee times available.

Am I missing something?

For me there is just one thing that perhaps you may be missing, and as you asked, that being the flexibility required around what can often be uncertain and unpredictable lives that a booking system does not support - particularly for weekend play.

When a system opens up for Saturday and Sunday booking I may not know what I am doing that Saturday or if I am doing something when I might be doing it. That is often in the hands of my Mrs and, until they flew the nest - my children. And it is subject to change at any point and without notice. When I could just turn up and put my ball in the chute that didn't matter a jot, but with a booking system the flexibility I would need is gone.

Yes - even when it is unlikely I can play or if I can when that might be, I could stick a pin in the donkey and if I can play then I've got a time...but that is not really having any consideration whatsoever to other members wanting to play and there being no tee times available. And so I would be very reluctant to do that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Regarding turning up to see a roll up already on the tee, most members knew when they went out (and new members were told about roll ups and "encouraged" to join if only to meet members and get a regular game) and if a group came onto the tee as the roll up was going out we'd let them go first. We'd also make use of the 10th tee and split the group in two if it was large (+20) and to make it quicker. No tee times had worked for decades before Covid and it has really had an effect on how our roll ups operate, the cameraderie these give, and to a degree has taken a part of the soul of the club away. Also, I would argue the roll ups account for the majority of the wet and dry trade, especially at weekends and so would be affecting the numbers
Exactly the argument made very strongly by our roll-ups as they fought to have windows of reserved tee times, and with the club currently being under significant pressure to change or cancel our Sat rollup reserved tee time window it is an argument that we have to continue to make, even as we make compromises, and adjustments are made to how the Sat window is managed (specifically when reserved tee times are released).

phillarrow

Visit site
Beware booking systems. We have one and the seniors book virtually all times on a Tuesday and Thursday morning, then the ladies get a fee times. Saturday is comp day so most morning times are gone that day as well. If I wasn't in the seniors I would be playing elsewhere. Check out each club and see what they have in place and the practicalities of how they work.

Would those same seniors not all just rock up anyway on a Tuesday and Thursday and take up the same tee times? I'm genuinely asking by the way, I'm not being facetious.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Here's, for me, why I like a booking system.
I'm done for the day workwise....
I could wander up to club and have a solo round....but..
I don't know if the tees will be free, whether there's 3 or 4 groups waiting on each tee.....
Yesterday was a write-off due to the weather so today could be busy....and the Pro shop can't see the tees and won't know how busy the course is...
But.........if only there was a way..:unsure:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Would those same seniors not all just rock up anyway on a Tuesday and Thursday and take up the same tee times? I'm genuinely asking by the way, I'm not being facetious.

Exactly. Our Seniors operated a roll up where they all appeared, drew for playing partners and off they went. Post covid, they do the draw a week ahead and then book the times. Same folk, playing the same times. The only difference is they have an exact time booked in advance.

The level of visitor bookings is also a factor. Looking at our booking sheet for tomorrow, its pretty full, only 2 visitors all day, both are members' guests.

D

Deleted member 23270

I understand it's all about personal choice but I really struggle to understand why a booking system is so despised by some. Surely knowing your tee time in advance and not having to hang around if you arrive at the same time as many other groups is a good thing? Not everyone has the luxury of being able to spend an unspecified amount of time at the golf club.

It may be presumptious but would I be right in thinking that the majority in favour of no booking are long term members who would be eligible for the senior section?

I also don't understand the complaint of booking systems creating the "fastest finger" scenario and prime tee slots going quickly. The roll -up system does not create any extra tee times so if everyone who used the booking system to book a prime tee time just turned up instead along with those who missed out - you still have a situation where there are more people wanting to play between certain times than tee times available.

Am I missing something?
When you have a booking system that goes live at a particular time you get lots of people all diving in to book a time. If there is a rollup you end up with lots of groups mixed in which is the problem at my club. It means there are no true rollups as such. You may have 5 groups in a 'rollup' going at at 10am, 10:24, 10:44 11:12 etc which spoils it. Lots of people enjoy a rollup with a couple of quid in the pot, it creates a good club atmosphere rather than everyone playing in the same 4ball every week and also is good for integrating new members.

So yes, you are being a presumptious ;)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve already given My point of view, but it seems to me not checking the clubs diary appears to be commonplace judging by many comments made.

Albo

Visit site
Ive always been a member where it was bookings and for me this works, I couldn't be a member at a club without (I don't think).

Home life is what it is, I have young kids and need to know when I am playing to account for what I'm needed for at home.

Our club has a ball in chute thing on a Sat in winter, opening tee time the one time I used it was 8am, got there at 730 to find 7 balls already there with 2 cars in the carpark, as 8am got closer more and more cars arrived, and zero balls appeared behind mine, I teed off at half 9 behind 4ball after 4ball. In all honesty its a bad situation, it may be a roll up but not one I was aware of, but its pretty bad pracrice imho.

Tee times all the way for me

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Im a fan of booking.

With the visitor levels being high at our course, no booking system would cause an absolute mess on the first tee.

If I was a member of a more private members club, I'd quite like the non-booking aspect.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Here's, for me, why I like a booking system.
I'm done for the day workwise....
I could wander up to club and have a solo round....but..
I don't know if the tees will be free, whether there's 3 or 4 groups waiting on each tee.....
Yesterday was a write-off due to the weather so today could be busy....and the Pro shop can't see the tees and won't know how busy the course is...
But.........if only there was a way..:unsure:

Leads to another consideration. If the club don’t know how many tees are needed (for tomorrow etc) how would they sell excess to visitors and how do visitors know when to turn up

I wonder if there’s a certain profile of club &/or member that favours having or not having a booking system

Affluent members clubs, clubs with high ratio of non-working members, underused & quiet clubs etc all would seem to have less need of a booking system
Resort/propriety courses, busy clubs, time sensitive membership, clubs that want visitor revenue etc would probably get lots of benefit from a booking system

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The discussion has prompted me to have a quick look on system as I fancy a few holes sometime this afternoon - though I don't know when.

Last 4 ball is at 1pm. After that group there are only three 2 balls booked rest of afternoon.

What I will do is head to the club at some point. But I won't have a tee time booked. I'll decide if I want to go to range before going out and if I go how long for. And when I get back to clubhouse I'll just ask in shop if tee is still free (or look on app) and decide when I'll head off - maybe I'll have a coffee first - and maybe then I'll stick my name down against a time. So effectively I can just roll up and play when it suits me.

Today - morning up to 11am was pretty much solid with Ladies Rollup and then our big Thursday Rollup - both with rollups having window tee reservations. As a result there are no societies or visitors on Thursdays.

And I see a little bit of sun trying to break through the clouds - so must get the ironing done before I think of heading off :)

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The pro turn up and play arguments seem to use roll ups as the key defence. For those who like no booking, is there a non roll up reason why?

Yeah you're right. And if its a regular roll up I can't figure out why the proshop/club wouldn't just book out the window needed for a handfull of tee times for the roll up before opening up the rest of that days tees times online :unsure:

D

Deleted member 16999

The discussion has prompted me to have a quick look on system as I fancy a few holes sometime this afternoon - though I don't know when.

Last 4 ball is at 1pm. After that group there are only three 3 balls booked rest of afternoon.

What I will do is head to the club at some point. But I won't have a tee time booked. I'll decide if I want to go to range before going out and if I go how long for. And when I get back to clubhouse I'll just ask in shop if tee is still free (or look on app) and decide when I'll head off - maybe I'll have a coffee first - and maybe then I'll stick my name down against a time. So effectively I can just roll up and play when it suits me.

Today - morning up to 11am was pretty much solid with Ladies Rollup and then our big Thursday Rollup - both with rollups having window tee reservations. As a result there are no societies or visitors on Thursdays.

And I see a little bit of sun trying to break through the clouds - so must get the ironing done before I think of heading off :)
So a good argument for a booking system.??