Best Welcome in Golf

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
St Andrews , Timaru New Zealand on our honeymoon, phoned up the day before to see if we could play on the Saturday, bit of an intake of breath, " Ooh it's our biggest Open of the year tomorrow," slight pause then " What time can you get here ? " Replied 8am " Oh great see you tomorrow then "
Rolled up paid $10 each , hired clubs and off we went .
After our round we went in the clubhouse to see if we could get a sandwich and the Ladies running the refreshments couldn't do enough for us, lots of sarnies then cake and as much tea as we could drink . Asked where we were going and why we're in NZ , replied to Dunedin and on Honeymoon and they then gave us sarnies for the trip and wouldn't take any money. We put a $5 bill in the RSA box.
Recently in this country , Roman Road Celtic Manor , yes I know it's a resort but they couldn't have been friendlier all the way from the pro shop to the ranger who kept coming back to see how our match was going :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bearwood Lakes have always been very accommodating to visitors. Another that has really given me a warm welcome on a regular basis is Caversham Heath. Very friendly and a great bunch of members that are always up for a game and a laugh. If I lived nearer that would be one I'd definitely consider

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always get a nice welcome at Irvine GC.

Agree with the OP- a warm welcome is a really important part of the customer experience.

I went for a practice round a wee while ago and on arrival was asked why I was playing myself and was told that the course was busy and I should expect to be out there for 4 hours. Cheers mate (finished in 2.5).

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Thought Lundin Links was a very warm friendly club when we played there the other year. Clubhouse and pro shop very friendly, and not to mention the best black pudding ever for breakfast. St Andrews was pretty good too, from checking in, to the starter, and the lunch service at the Links Clubhouse. Trump Turnberry was another for excellent service in and around the clubhouse. Bearwood Lakes was very friendly, Mandy was superb, giving everyone a free breakfast after turning up for a society day and the course being closed due to heavy rain the day before - still not played it yet though :( as we couldn't fit another day into the calendar this year.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was hoping to see more reports of smaller members clubs providing genuinely warm welcome rather than resorts providing 5* service...

Yes I agree many of the better courses will be paying staff to provide a "friendly" service smaller member clubs that welcome you are the true test of a friendly golf club.

D

Deleted member 21258

I always think service is different to a welcome. The best service I have received at a golf club was Loch Lomond (taking clubs out, parking van and so on), but myself I hated that, as I can park my own van and get my clubs out etc, I do not want a 'servant'. :embarrassed: Welcome I would not rank it anywhere near the top. That is a personal thing to me.

Probably explains why my ones, were a couple more well know and a couple of standard 'local' clubs but really just standard golf clubs rather than service based courses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The daft thing is a warm welcome is free. I put down 2 clubs, one of them being Turnberry. My clubs were not carried, cleaned or any of that 'service' stuff. I just found the people very welcoming, probably down to excellent training and management, but even so it was top stuff. All clubs can give a friendly welcome, it costs nothing and should be the easiest thing in the world to do. More clubs should send their employees on customer service training, it is so important.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Baildon - Cracking beer, cracking crack in the bar afterwards. We didn't want to leave !!!
Bingley-st-Ives
Pike fold - Great Staff in the bar. Pro excellent.
Rochdale

My old club is Baildon, really pleased you enjoyed it. The clubhouse is the hub of the club, the clubhouse is lively and you are always welcomed in there - especially if you like a drink after your round. There moving from that clubhouse and building a new one directly across from it. The clubhouse and land has been sold.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve always had a honest sincere & pleasant welcome at Fleetwood GC, that’s all I ask tbh.

There’s no one carrying your clubs from the car or a bowl of hand picked apples on the 1st tee, quite unbelievably they don’t have a masseur in the locker room or a witty club historian/Shoe polisher.
I still enjoy playing there though.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve always had a honest sincere & pleasant welcome at Fleetwood GC, that’s all I ask tbh.

There’s no one carrying your clubs from the car or a bowl of hand picked apples on the 1st tee, quite unbelievably they don’t have a masseur in the locker room or a witty club historian/Shoe polisher.
I still enjoy playing there though.
Good call. First links course I'd played. Very (genuinely) friendly and welcoming.

D

Deleted member 1147

We played Little Aston last month & the pro, steward and bar staff were all very friendly, helpful and welcoming.
The Pro showed us around, gave us codes etc to move around the clubhouse. Rather than letting us have to go looking for help (like you get at some courses).

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played Little Aston last month & the pro, steward and bar staff were all very friendly, helpful and welcoming.
The Pro showed us around, gave us codes etc to move around the clubhouse. Rather than letting us have to go looking for help (like you get at some courses).
I think he just spotted you weren’t the sharpest knife in the drawer :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'll put my old club up for a warm welcome. Cleveland GC, on the Yorkshire Riviera just south of Middlesbrough. I've arranged a few forum meets back there and the general membership have been very welcoming. They're not shy in asking have you had a good time, and what do you think of the place. They're more than happy to have a drink and a chat. Go in there on a Saturday, a Sunday or most tea times and you'll not be short of a bit of company.

Best 'big' club. St Andrews. Great welcome in the club house, first tee and from the caddie master. And Trump Aberdeen close behind.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Bearwood Lakes have always been very accommodating to visitors. Another that has really given me a warm welcome on a regular basis is Caversham Heath. Very friendly and a great bunch of members that are always up for a game and a laugh. If I lived nearer that would be one I'd definitely consider

The pond at Caversham is very welcoming too I gather 😂😂😂😂

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was hoping to see more reports of smaller members clubs providing genuinely warm welcome rather than resorts providing 5* service...

In which case I refer you to part of my earlier response - Charleton, in Fife. The welcome & friendly atmosphere was naff all to do with any kind of "service standard". It was just the way the guy was. Pleased we had come to his course, and endeavoured to make our stay as pleasant as possible. We'd have happily stayed the full afternoon chatting to him after our round (except we had an "appointment" at Elie to which we had to go).

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Royal Liverpool!

Nice welcome from pro shop lads and made to feel like one of the members by Louise ( one of the clubs officers).

Me and the wife were told to feel free walking around the club house and make ourselves at home .

Lady captain was in the lounge who invited us for a brew then the starter greeted us and let us go and lose some balls :)

The best part of playing Liverpool ( apart from the golf) was when we finished the round Louise greeted us on our return and gave us a full guided tour of the club house and explained all about their history.

We were totally blown away by the relaxed atmosphere, great hospitality.

Without hesitation will return for another game :)