Best Welcome in Golf

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Clubs with a ‘relaxed’ feel in the pro shop and bar area normally feature in this category over some of the traditional clubs. Never been blown away by the welcome at most of the top courses I’ve played, in fact you get the impression from some that you are very much a day visitor rather than a member for the day.

I would say based on my experience Cuddington, West Byfleet, Tandridge and Langley Park are ones I would say stick in the memory of being very welcoming and helpful.

Have only been in 1 unpleasant golf club when it comes to atmosphere and that is Rye. I don’t care how good they think their course is, they can put it where the sun don’t shine.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Clubs with a ‘relaxed’ feel in the pro shop and bar area normally feature in this category over some of the traditional clubs. Never been blown away by the welcome at most of the top courses I’ve played, in fact you get the impression from some that you are very much a day visitor rather than a member for the day.

I would say based on my experience Cuddington, West Byfleet, Tandridge and Langley Park are ones I would say stick in the memory of being very welcoming and helpful.

Have only been in 1 unpleasant golf club when it comes to atmosphere and that is Rye. I don’t care how good they think their course is, they can put it where the sun don’t shine.

Nice to hear mate, thank you, glad you enjoyed it. I'd also second Tandridge as a very welcoming club.

Can't say I had your experience at Rye. It's a bit old world, but none the worse for that in my opinion, sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Littlestone - me , BiM , ChrisD and Rich played there 4 years ago on a Sunday , the welcome was superb from all but even better was after , the club captain who was having his Captains Lunch came over gave us a tray of his food and sat chatting with us forgetting his guests. Me and Rich also went back for an Open and played in a fourball with him and his wife because the pair that were supposed to play with us pulled out.

Also the Pro at RCP is brilliant - really friendly and welcoming.

I'd second all of that Phil.

Another one that I found extremely friendly was North Berwick. There's a notice as you come in reminding visitors that they are members for the day, and that as such they were entitled to all the facilities in the clubhouse where the other members would make them most welcome. Having turned up as a singleton with my wife, a very friendly member offered to show us the way round and then we were made most welcome in the clubhouse afterwards. They lived up to every word of that notice. (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

Maesdu in Llandudno North Wales, lovely golf course, lovely people was only me and my dad there as a 2 ball yet went out of their way to ensure we had an enjoyable day, pro gave us complimentary course planners tips for certain holes and came and had a coffee with us afterwards.

Son liked that course, not played it myself, but is on my hit list. Sounds perfect for a sunday drive and game.

Will have to push it up the list, cheers(y)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll second Castle Course St.Andrews and Machrahanish Dunes. Also throw in Southerness as well.

Need to call out Sutton Green in Surrey simply for their starter describing their course as "a bit of a links". It's a fracking parkland course- just because the wind blows occasionally does not make it a links. He was such a nob about it that it did annoy a lot of people playing that day. Rest of their club is great.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Littlestone - me , BiM , ChrisD and Rich played there 4 years ago on a Sunday , the welcome was superb from all but even better was after , the club captain who was having his Captains Lunch came over gave us a tray of his food and sat chatting with us forgetting his guests. Me and Rich also went back for an Open and played in a fourball with him and his wife because the pair that were supposed to play with us pulled out.

Also the Pro at RCP is brilliant - really friendly and welcoming.

To be fair Phil I think they were so welcoming simply because of my donation of balls to their following club members, It was one of my worst days on a golf course

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The two that stand out to me have already been mentioned - North Berwick where you get a nece welcome, and you do get treated like member for the day. And Castle course at St Andrews - met as you arrived, nice welcome in clubhouse & the starter extremely helpful & informative. And, in respect of starters, the chap at Patrick148's Nairn gets a commendation.

And an honourable mention has to go to Charleton golf course in Fife. One chaps seems to own the place, run it, do the bar & the cooking -(at least that's how it looked to us). Extremely friendly & helpful. (He even phoned Kingsbarns for us trying to wangle a discount rate ...)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Skibo when you are a guest, clubs taken from your car, locker with your name on, food and drink complimentary as were any drinks and food on the course served in the two huts. clubs and shoes cleaned and taken to your car after the round. They couldn't do enough for you..and service with a smile.

In contrast played on freebe 4 ball a few weeks ago and we were not even allowed in the clubhouse, let alone anything else:ROFLMAO: felt and treated like we were Gypsy's that were camped in the carpark:LOL:

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Lots of examples of great service (clubs taken from car, cleaned, shoes cleaned etc) but is that the same as a warm welcome? I've played places like that but sometimes you can't get a smile or a pleasant word from the person. Played plenty of other places where you don't get that level of service but every member of staff has a smile on their face and takes time to talk to you.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Amazing how many good courses you can wander into and can then roam around without anyone assisting or welcoming unless you find a bar or pro shop - i've always wondered why there isn't always a concierge/reception

In answer to the question - Shiskine

D

Deleted member 15717

I can't think of anywhere in the UK that I have played that I have been made to feel really welcome.

Best place that I have experienced was Dubai Creek...out of the taxi with someone there to take your bags and sign you in, into the clubhouse and changing room assistant to help with lockers if required. Pro shop staff were great, and out to collect buggy with clubs on whilst being told where the practice range etc is.
After the round, the bags came off the buggy and were fully cleaned and then they were ready to pick up whenever we wanted to leave.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think most courses tend to give a really good welcome to visitors these days. I don't experience many bad welcomes.

There are a few clubs that have stood out for me though. The best I've experienced in terms of EVERYONE throughout the club being friendly, engaging and welcoming would be Turnberry, St Andrews Golf Club, Saunton, St George's Hill, and Northamptonshire County.

The worst welcome I've experienced was at Hunstanton. The day I played there, it seemed that everyone employed at the club was properly grumpy. It was a shame, because I really enjoyed the course.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice to hear mate, thank you, glad you enjoyed it. I'd also second Tandridge as a very welcoming club.

Can't say I had your experience at Rye. It's a bit old world, but none the worse for that in my opinion, sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it.

Yes enjoyed your place mate, nice feel in the clubhouse and on the course from other members (I was on a few of their fairways at the wrong time :p).

Yes shame I had a bad experience with 2 people from Rye, but as they were both employees I'm afraid I just can't forgive that kind of stuff. I like an oldie world course/clubhouse as well (RSG next week, yipeee!) but on my visit there is a line between being slightly proud of your course and tradition and then on the other side just being a complete tool.