Best two course venues that is n't one of the big boys!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
A group of us are looking at a possible October 2020 golf break in the UK, ideally within a 2 hour drive of Cheltenham and ideally a venue that has 2 courses and a hotel.

Preferably not one of the big venues like The Belfry or Celtic Manor.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kennysarmy

Visit site

Hi, probably sub £300 for dinner, bed and breakfast.

We're going to the Dorset in July next year hopefully on a one night stay.

Forest of Arden is definitely on our radar, I'll go check out Whittlebury Hall - thanks for the recommendations.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just got back from Goodwood, 2 good courses, the downs was very nice. 3 course dinner, bed and breakfast plus the 2 rounds was £165pp

Looking at St Mellion or The Vale for our trip next year

St Mellion and Goodwood might be outside of 2 hours.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just got back from Goodwood, 2 good courses, the downs was very nice. 3 course dinner, bed and breakfast plus the 2 rounds was £165pp

Looking at St Mellion or The Vale for our trip next year

St Mellion and Goodwood might be outside of 2 hours.
Using google maps (and Cheltenham station as a reference) its about 2 1/2 hours to Goodwodd but decent accommodation and courses https://findagolfbreak.com/accommodation/the-goodwood-hotel/

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you choose the Goodwood option make sure you have plenty of disposable if you all enjoy a drink. Two years ago I asked for a bottle of coke and after pouring it into my glass with ice and lemon she looked me squarely in the eyes and said £3.25 please sir.

D

Deleted member 1418

A liitle left field, but Saunton is probably about 2 1/2 hour drive, with two cracking courses. Saunton Sands Hotel just up the road, and you would probably get a good deal in October.

Totally agree about Saunton.

If the Saunton Sands Hotel is too pricey, then look at The Thatch/Billy Budds in Croyde just down the road. 2 cracking pubs with twin rooms starting £60 night b&b.

D

Deleted member 18588

Hi, probably sub £300 for dinner, bed and breakfast.

We're going to the Dorset in July next year hopefully on a one night stay.

Forest of Arden is definitely on our radar, I'll go check out Whittlebury Hall - thanks for the recommendations.

Avoid Forest of Arden.

The Arden course has a very good back 9 but the front is only average at best and is likely to be boggy in October.

The Aylesford course is just a wide open field. Totally featureless.

And the prices for drinks etc; are pretty eye-watering.

Saunton is a far better choice.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
St Mellion Nicklaus is boss, and the Kernow is decent, but well worth it for the Nicklaus course on its own (or I would even suggest playing it twice), not sure of the hotel and night time, as only played the course.

Hitdaball

Visit site
The Warwickshire is good for this. One course is American with lots of water, the other is quite different with lots of trees. We did 2 rounds with hotel and dinner last April for £200.

It’s in Warwickshire....😆

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A vote here for St Mellion if it’s inside your travel limit. A group of us have been a few times in May; 2 nights half board and 3 rounds for around £250 if you arrive on a Sunday. I think it’s dearer starting Saturday.

There isn’t a night life as such but they have a couple of bars as well as the restaurants if all you want to do is have a few drinks and chat with your mates.

It is really tough, but no one I’ve been with has said they didn’t like it as far as I know.