Best approach to playing the Old Course

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
With my 40th coming up in 2024 (I know what you're thinking, can't possibly be that old) - I've decided that a good "gift" from wife/family, might be to play the old course...I know there are various different approaches (ballot, single walk up, booked time through an accommodation package), but just looking for people's thoughts and suggestions on which route to look at (and times of year)

I'd likely go up with 1 mate (possibly 2, I don't have many) and the wives will likely want to travel with us to make a few days of it (if that's logistically possible - if not, what a shame :))...any guidance greatly appreciated.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Easiest thing to do is:

enter the advance ballot when it opens in august time. you have to select another course to play on top of the old course. It’s an expensive way to play, but it’s a guaranteed time. You pick 3 ‘2 week slots’ and they’ll just assign it.

if that fails, you could look at tour operators. Again, an expensive way to play.

lastly, the 48 hour ballot. It’s not a guarantee, so it is dicey, but a possibility.

would try and avoid June/July/august, and go for shoulder season, or early summer, or later in the year to try and avoid big crowds

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Easiest thing to do is:

enter the advance ballot when it opens in august time. you have to select another course to play on top of the old course. It’s an expensive way to play, but it’s a guaranteed time. You pick 3 ‘2 week slots’ and they’ll just assign it.

if that fails, you could look at tour operators. Again, an expensive way to play.

lastly, the 48 hour ballot. It’s not a guarantee, so it is dicey, but a possibility.

would try and avoid June/July/august, and go for shoulder season, or early summer, or later in the year to try and avoid big crowds

This sounds exactly what I need to do. I don't mind paying a bit more to guarantee a round - but I also don't want to be forced to stay at a specific hotel for a specific number of nights by booking through a tour operator if I can help it.

The plan would be to play at least another course anyway, so that's fine (as well as maybe taking in Carnoustie or Kingsbarns or similar whilst I'm up there). When you say the advance ballot that opens in august - is that for the following year?

AAC

Visit site
This sounds exactly what I need to do. I don't mind paying a bit more to guarantee a round - but I also don't want to be forced to stay at a specific hotel for a specific number of nights by booking through a tour operator if I can help it.

The plan would be to play at least another course anyway, so that's fine (as well as maybe taking in Carnoustie or Kingsbarns or similar whilst I'm up there). When you say the advance ballot that opens in august - is that for the following year?

Yep, it most certainly is.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
top job. I can only find details of the 48 hour ballot on the St Andrews website - so I assume it's something that pops up when it's available and not there the rest of the time.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You mean on double greens, right - not playing to the 17th green after teeing off on the 1st?
Unless you go over the bridge, you'll likely be in the creek!
Perhaps 'towards' the 17th green as it's the 1st shot and plenty of room out there. Though Ian Baker Finch might disagree.
Creek really only comes into actual play for the 2nd shot and tee shot selection (don't normally need Driver).
I've played it 5 times, never via the ballot, but if there's a group of you then ballot is the way to go. Well worthwhile using a caddy too, not just for guidance (very useful though) but also for stories. Dunvegans is a real post-round place to be to continue the buzz! Though I remember having a pretty good time watching The Masters in one closer to the R&A clubhouse that seems to have disappeared/been absorbed into a hotel.
I'd recommend Carnoustie over Kingsbarns (by quite a way, even with the extra distance involved) and The New over The Jubilee (but closer, as both very good).
I'm sure you'll enjoy it - even if the weather is dreich. And it will be memorable.