Best Hole

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Ok, your best and most favourite hole ever.. on any course whether it be a major venue, a municipal, pitch and putt.

Time to nominate the hole which you could play again and again.. the most testing, teasing, challenging, fun hole.. the one hole which really floats your boat.

I'll start.. the 18th at Carnoustie.. the history, difficulty, challenge, and I've never got better than bogie in about 10 attempts :cry:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Love the 16th at Machrihanish Dunes, one of the most natural golf holes you'll play, God laid the fairway, McLay Kidd added a tee and a green site.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Love 15 at Seahouses but fond memory of 14 at there too. Howling winds coming off and some sea ramblers stopped to watch my shot just ahead of the tee. I asked them to move back to their confusion as I aimed right out at sea. i belted a hybrid right out and the wind blew it back in onto the green. I was unsurprisingly the only one to hit the green that day. Amazingly I had a rubbish round but I just had that feeling I was gonna hit a great shot.

Zig

Visit site
Trying to narrow it down to one is as hard as narrowing down your favourite song or album........

My contenders...

The third at RCD, for both the tee shot and the second. And the sea on your right. And the marram grass bunkers.
Kingsbarns... the par 3 on the back nine over the water.
Calamity at Royal Portrush. Or the 4th - short par 4 towards the sea.
The first at St Andrews... just for the heartbeats on the tee shot!
The par 5 along the water at Royal Dornoch. Especially late at night in June. Amazing.
Or the par 5 along the water at the European Club. Just for the bunkering. And for hitting rescue from the beach ;)
The 5th - par 3 elevated tee down to a green miles below at Ballyliffin Glashedy.
The 3rd or 4th at Rosses Point with the elevated drive to a fairway miles below.
16th at Ganton. Class par 4.
The first at Portmarnock Old. Views and difficulty!

And almost every hole at Carne. Just blooming nuts. And great ;)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
My favorite hole, at least in once sense, is the tenth at Crystal Lake in Haverhill, Massachusetts.
It's not a remarkable hole. It's just a perfectly balanced and fair hole.

Number ten is a simple 400 yard par 4 bending slightly to the left.
The fairway is lined with tall pines, but loosely spaced, not thick woods with underbrush.
It's the right width.

There is a big fairway bunker to the right which catches the average length drive but keeps it from rolling out of bounds if its headed toward the stakes which are among the the loosely spaced pines, opposite the 18th fairway.

The medium size green is unprotected in the middle with big bunkers to the left, right, and in the rear. If you hit to the right of the green, you need only touch the ball; if your line if perfect, it will bounce out of the hole like an out-of-control freight train, that's how steep the grading is contoured once you roll of the flat part. Hit to the left of the green and you have a potential birdie putt unless the hole is cut way to the right, but it's still an uphill, not downhill, putt..

When I'm at Crystal, usually to play in my old employer's retirees' outing, I lay up short of the bunker which usually leaves me an unforced seven or eight iron to the green.
I look for the left side of the green, but there's a nasty, deep-faced bunker if I miss. If I try to go closer to the elevated right side of the green, the putt could be brutal but a miss to the right lands in a primarily decorative, low lipped bunker. But try to stop the sand shot once it lands.

It's a pretty hole, but as I say, unremarkable except for its fairness and solid design. Nothing gimmicky. Not too hard for the recreational player. Not a patsy for the really good player.
Just a good enough golf hole to remember as a really good golf hole.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

11 @ Hillside

The hole I most want to play is 13 @ Augusta

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played several of the famous ones.... but less famous for the sake of variety?

How about 2nd at Burnham and Berrow? Raised tee, views all directions, dunes both sides, well placed bunkers and a devil of a green.... not sure I've ever been on the right level. Birdie there last visit.... holed out from green side bunker!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
18th at Wallasey is one of my most memorable for two reasons.

Mainly because I par'd it and the celebratory pint lead onto a cracking night!
But also, the hilarious scene of a crow trying to steal a ball and fly off with it, only to drop it in the greenside bunker!

Visit site
7th Hole at Mulion GC in Cornwall. A hole that is visually stunning when stood on the back tees and would not be out of place on courses such as Trump Aberdeen or RCD. Best hole in respect tee shot, approach and green complex layout. A true gem of a hole.
4th at Hindhead is also one that lives long in my memory, great heathland hole with subtle dogleg in a valley beset either side with mature pine trees.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A load I could choose from but I do like the 11th at Hillside, the opening hole on the old course at St Andrews for the sheer atmosphere and I love the challenge the 18th at Blackmoor presents where even a decent drive does not mean the problems have ended

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 5th at Teign Valley in Devon. Not on a famous course but its a cracker. Little more than a 100 yards but the green is wafer thin, bushes to the right, a pond to the left. It looks a doddle but on the dozen or so times I've played it a par is not a given by any means. Aesthetically pleasing as well.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Over the years I'd have to say the 14th at Dewsbury, elevated tee drops down onto a tiered fairway, then down a steep hill to the green. It's a par 4, but if you catch your drive you can almost make the green. If you don't get close to the green, then you have a downhill lie with maybe an 8 iron to a green protected by two bunkers, and a steep slope off thge back of the green - it's a really tough shot. Sometimes better to play to the edge of the top tier of the fairway with a 5 iron, then hit maybe a 7 iron down onto the green.
It's a great hole.

Great views over West Yorkshire off the tee too. This was the first time the boy played it about 18 months back, you can see the tier on the fairway, and the green tucked down in the trees in the bottom left.

Apologies for the effects. :eek:

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The 3rd at Royal Cinque Ports is a hole that I've rarely played well, but is absolutely beautiful with a sunken green that is probably one of the most difficult putts on the course. I love it

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 3rd at Royal Cinque Ports is a hole that I've rarely played well, but is absolutely beautiful with a sunken green that is probably one of the most difficult putts on the course. I love it
The wife's new best friend at work is married to a member there, hopefully I'll be getting quite a few invites this year ?