Best golf holiday I've ever done

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just back this morning from a 10 day trip to the USA.
My dad and I were lucky enough to secure tickets for the tournament days of the Masters, so we booked a 4 day trip to myrtle beach after it to round it off.
Augusta is quite simply the most aesthetically pleasing course I've ever been on,,it's stunning, the condition of the fairways and greens is out of this world!! The thing that I found most surprising about it was the width of the fairways though, they are very generous!! Wide at most parts, but mega steep, the 10th and 18th are like ski slopes!!, the greens are like upturned soup bowls miss it by an inch and you could end up 50 yards away!!
Just sat at a few greens and tees the first day and watched a few groups come through, then walked the course the second day and followed Rory, his patience looks extremely thin, he looks a bit fed up all the time just now.spoke to his missus at the side of the 13th green where she was walking round supporting him, very pleasant lass.
Stood in the pouring rain to watch Adam Scott winning, the rain was just as bad as we get here in Scotland , lol. The quality of cabreras shot into the 18th under that pressure was outstanding.

Onto myrtle beach the day after the masters finished, played 4 rounds, grand dunes resort was first-course was in reasonable condition, had quite a lot of water on it, big ponds with gators! Lol pretty tight track with narrow fairways and small greens. My dad liked this as it wasn't as long as the other courses.
Played tpc myrtle beach next day, I liked this course, greens were hard and fast, quite tight again with lots of water and gators, 18 is a cracking hole, the grass on the tees was a little long but no major complaints about the condition of it. Played of the blue tees and it played just under 7000 yards if I mind right.
Played true blue next day nice tees here, this is where I played with 2 members playing for their handicaps, they had great practice facilities here, but to much sand here for my liking , some of the bunkers were as big as the fairways, greens were good though, par 5's are real par 5 here, if you are going to get on the putting surface in 2 you're going to have to hit 2 cracking shots.
Last round was caledonia and this was the pick of the bunch for me, almost every hole was a cracker, beautifully laid of track in great condition, greens were a bit slower than true blue but super smooth roll and very receptive when pitching onto them. Just the perfect mixture of sand and water on this course.

All my rounds were 5 hours though as the distance between greens and tees can be quite long, Deffo not a walking course.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
USA is great for golf mate. We have some friends that live out there on a golf resort in Colorado

http://www.eqresorts.com/divide/

Anyway one of the things you do notice out there is that nearly all the fairways are wide and the courses long. There is a real emphasis on being a bomber off the tee. They really do know how to lay it on though with the service and customer care, second to none really. Never been to Myrtle Beach myself, sounds like you had a great trip and glad you enjoyed it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds ok I suppose.:whistle::)

What is it like outside the gates of Augusta. They never seem to show the area on the tv, and no Metlife blimp. What are they hiding ?;)

Just watching the golf from Habour Town. Quite fancy a few days there.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Harbour Town is one of my favourite courses in the USA everytime it is on I want to go and play there, not all about bombing it off the tee neither. I dont think the area is nice round Augusta if what I have heard is correct. There is a rather nice bar close by though if what I have been told is true:whistle:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
There are not many US courses I watch on TV that I really want to play, but Harbour Town, along with Augusta and Pebble Beach are in my top three.

The European tour is currently playing EL Saler, near Valencia, and that is a fantastic course. Adds to the enjoyment of watching golf on TV when it is on a decent course.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds ok I suppose.:whistle::)

What is it like outside the gates of Augusta. They never seem to show the area on the tv, and no Metlife blimp. What are they hiding ?;)

Just watching the golf from Habour Town. Quite fancy a few days there.

Harbour Town looks like a great course, not really talked about that much and one I keep forgetting about but would love to go there

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We contemplated a trip to play the courses in harbour town area including harbour town, also kiawah island, they both were a bit more expensive than myrtle beach, both look awesome though.
Never stayed in augusta as hotel prices were mega expensive so can't really comment on the area. We just drove about a mile in augusta then onto the freeway. Was a bit massive hooters with a big marqee outside it right outside augusta on the main road though so must have been some good entertainment at night!! Was also loads of folk standing at the side of the road trying to buy tickets

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You played some of the best tracks in Myrtle Beach. I've only played the TPC out of those 4 but it's widely accepted that Caledonia and True Blue are the best tracks in the area along with Tidewater. Agree about the speed of play out there, cannot understand how a round can take over 5 hours in buggies!

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Caledonia is a lot better than true blue IMO. Way to many huge bunkers on true blue for me! Lol. We did pick those courses for their reputations though. When we played true blue we were never held up and I thought we played quite quick but was still 5 hours, some if the distances between greens and tees can be massive though