Being a member of 2x golf clubs?

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all.
I am falling out of love with my present club (quite a few separate issues)
Our membership runs April to April & I am fully paid up until next April.
I am lucky, in that I have quite a choice of courses within 10 miles or so.
There is one in particular which I really like, the course is fantastic, it seems very well run with lots of comps & social stuff going on, it's a bit further to travel than my present club, but what is an extra 10 mins in the car if it means a better club?

The thing is, this clubs membership runs from January to January (pro-rata)
Rather than wait until next April when my present clubs membership expires & then take a leap into the unknown by joining a new club, I am considering joining this new club from Sept (pro-rata) to get a taster for it for 4x months, to see how it plays in winter & just get a feel for the club.
If I like it, I could then join from Jan 2016.
The only thing is, I would then be a member of 2x clubs for 7x months.
Would this be a problem?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi all.
There is one in particular which I really like, the course is fantastic, it seems very well run with lots of comps & social stuff going on, it's a bit further to travel than my present club, but what is an extra 10 mins in the car if it means a better club?

Rather than wait until next April when my present clubs membership expires & then take a leap into the unknown by joining a new club, I am considering joining this new club from Sept (pro-rata) to get a taster for it for 4x months, to see how it plays in winter & just get a feel for the club.
Would this be a problem?

why would it be a problem?

I think i was a member of 4 at one time. you just nominate a home club and your scores in comps at the other course get passed on to you home club.

realistically though you find you only play occasionally at the others... Im down to just 2 now;)

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Some clubs offer a discounted country membership where the rule is that you already have to be a playing member somewhere else.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
No, you just need to pick one as your home club for handicapping and be an "away" player at the other and away you go. Probably best to leave your handicap at your current club until you are sure you will leave....but it's entirely your choice.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all.

Would this be a problem?

No problem. You have to nominate one of your clubs as your Home Club - normally the one where you play most qualifiers (in your case it will be your new club as you're leaving the old club). Your Home Club administers your handicap and you need to ensure that your qualifying scores from your Away Club get back to your Home Club - this will normally happen automatically via CDH but it's your responsibility to make sure it does.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all.

Would this be a problem?

i'm interested to know the courses....

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have the money and the time, fill your boots. I played once with a guy who was a member of Wentworth, Queenwood, Kiawah Island and somewhere expensive on Long Island.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all.

Would this be a problem?

1st world problems! :)

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was a member at two clubs for a couple of years after taking advantage of a good joining offer. The main incentive (other than monetary) was that the new club played their comps on a Friday and Sunday while my home club played theirs on a Wednesday and a Saturday. This was great for playing competitive golf but HID was not best pleased, especially on her weekends off.

The biggest problem I found was that the new club did not show my handicap as away, despite telling the handicap sec on numerous occasions. The end result was that at one point I had a handicap two shots lower at my main club than the away club, despite advising them of my scores. I always played comps off the lower handicap despite what the computer said.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am a member of two clubs and aimed use this year to get to know the two courses at my new club whilst playing the knockouts and comps at the old one. So far, it has been great.
I am playing about 60 to 70 % at the old club as I have played four knockout matches in a month and an open. It means if there is something big on at one club, I am sure of a game too.