Beating a slump! Taking a break VS Playing through it?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You wouldn't have to "play through it" if you were just enjoying yourself on the course....

Trust me, I'm a past master at "going off the boil".. Just enjoy the walk and the banter, and take those rare excellent shots as they come.. It'll come back..:thup:

I will remind you of that when you are looking in the trees for my ball tonight :rofl:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
While I agree 100%, you probably know yourself, that when your game hits the skids, it's hard to enjoy it?

Neutralize your grip, neutralize your stance, take an athletic posture, hit the ball, follow it (your a good enough golfer that it has really not gone that badly) chip it, putt it, smile and move on. Do not care how it went just how many it cost. You mind is fooling you. You are making a few bogies... so what, your a handicap golfer, your not a super star.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Gareth. I have not been playing that long, and not as experienced as all the other posts here but I also had a nightmare at the weekend having made great strides in recent weeks. I also agree that it's hard to enjoy it when things aren't going well and you know you can to better. The options that I discussed with a mate are to take a short break, as maybe we can play too much, or spend too much time on the range. Maybe instead work on putting, or the short game, or work specifically in the bunker, as there's plenty to do in other areas, or take a lesson (not as a default, but as something different). Although it felt bad to me, my scores weren't so far away either. I was told, if in a slump, when practising the swing, hit a few without paying any attention to what happens to the ball, just work on doing the right things, slowly, trying to recapture feel.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Five over for 9 holes. I'd be doing cartwheels around the bar. I had a shocking season last year. Just kept turning up every week and kept believing it would get better. This year I'm just playing, trusting my swing and enjoying it. I still have a burning desire to get to single figures AND I WILL. It may be this year, it may be next but I'll do it. In the meantime, bad rounds get forgotten and the good ones savoured until the next one

Do you EVER write a post that is not about you? Are you even aware of how you reply to these things?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A few posts have struck a chord so far.

Re: Putting the fun back into the game and the "How, not how many" mantra.

The last hole I played last night, I hit a belting drive leaving only a mid iron. Hit a 6 iron all wrong and ended up 18ft from the pin.

I did :rofl: after I'd seen the ball stop on the green. Maybe this is something I should do more often.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay, I think some forumers have hit the nail on the head. Your over thinking it. Hold the club comfortably. Then just do a few practice swings taking the club through to your finish position. Then put a ball down do the same thing. Don't try and hit it just swing the club through it. I have the problems you have, they are related to reading how far everyone is hitting it and thinking I need more distance. So I try hitting at the ball but then the pulling and hooking starts ... Yippee another missed green! But just relaxing aiming the club face up and taking a comfortable stance and swinging through makes a massive improvement. So relax take aim and swing the club through the ball and enjoy your golf :)

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few posts have struck a chord so far.

Re: Putting the fun back into the game and the "How, not how many" mantra.

The last hole I played last night, I hit a belting drive leaving only a mid iron. Hit a 6 iron all wrong and ended up 18ft from the pin.

I did :rofl: after I'd seen the ball stop on the green. Maybe this is something I should do more often.

Love it! You were GIR at what? 170 yards and were cross! or in disbelieving of your "poor" shot. I have been there.... "good shot Al"... "Meh I wanted it to draw and be lower and spin more and and and"... hehe

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
While I agree 100%, you probably know yourself, that when your game hits the skids, it's hard to enjoy it?

I totally agree mate, but it's the mindset you use to approach the game that has to change, not the emotion as you're going round the course..

For example, a few weeks ago, a few of us played Frodsham.. I had a shocker, couldn't get the stupid ball in the hole. I was putting pressure on myself from the first tee to score well.. I didn't. I think I shot a 91 :eek:...

3 days later I played my own course. A social knock with a friend who was going through a bit of a drop in form. He wanted me to watch him play and see if anything stood out. I just went out and hit the ball. Hit it, find it, hit it etc. No pressure on myself to score well. I came off the 18th with a 77 on the same day that the Comp CSS was 74 (3 over). That round would have put me to Cat 1 if it was in competition..

Take the pressure off yourself and just enjoy the feeling of a nice walk in the country. The swing will come back when you stop trying to over-think it..:thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I totally agree mate, but it's the mindset you use to approach the game that has to change, not the emotion as you're going round the course..

For example, a few weeks ago, a few of us played Frodsham.. I had a shocker, couldn't get the stupid ball in the hole. I was putting pressure on myself from the first tee to score well.. I didn't. I think I shot a 91 :eek:...

3 days later I played my own course. A social knock with a friend who was going through a bit of a drop in form. He wanted me to watch him play and see if anything stood out. I just went out and hit the ball. Hit it, find it, hit it etc. No pressure on myself to score well. I came off the 18th with a 77 on the same day that the Comp CSS was 74 (3 over). That round would have put me to Cat 1 if it was in competition..

Take the pressure off yourself and just enjoy the feeling of a nice walk in the country. The swing will come back when you stop trying to over-think it..:thup:

This, kind of, sums up my point.

The swing flaw that's causing the issue isn't going to go away with out coaching. That's booked in for next week (Wednesday).

There's going to be some element of thinking for a time as I'm going to be making changes, however, if/when the changes start to bear fruit, no doubt the confidence will return.

I think you're right in as much as I need a change in how I approach playing and simply "Take it as it comes".

D

Deleted member 15344

Being blunt

Stop blinking thinking too much

Just have a laugh and enjoy yourself - forget about the score , play in a few social games with some mates

Remember why most of us play the game - it's not to make a living - we play because we enjoy it and it's a hobby.

Forget the score , forget the handicap , forget about any previous rounds and just walk , talk , laugh and hit the ball :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Being blunt

Stop blinking thinking too much

Just have a laugh and enjoy yourself - forget about the score , play in a few social games with some mates

Remember why most of us play the game - it's not to make a living - we play because we enjoy it and it's a hobby.

Forget the score , forget the handicap , forget about any previous rounds and just walk , talk , laugh and hit the ball :thup:

Agree 100% Phil.

I've said before I get too hung up on the score as opposed to the enjoyment factor when it should be the other way around!

Swing flaws aside, enjoyment should be the main factor, however I'm not currently enjoying it and that's where the conundrum begins. Stick or twist. Take a break or play on.

D

Deleted member 15344

Agree 100% Phil.

I've said before I get too hung up on the score as opposed to the enjoyment factor when it should be the other way around!

Swing flaws aside, enjoyment should be the main factor, however I'm not currently enjoying it and that's where the conundrum begins. Stick or twist. Take a break or play on.

Find someone to have a few 4BBB matchplays matches mate - see how you feel in a game with no scores and nothing riding on it :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Find someone to have a few 4BBB matchplays matches mate - see how you feel in a game with no scores and nothing riding on it :thup:

I'm trying to fix the cause though not the symptom.

What's causing my bad play (Symptom) is a swing flaw at transition (Cause). Fixing that, at least to some manageable degree solves the issue?

I understand what you mean about taking the pressure off, but the cause of the lack of enjoyment will still be there.

I'm not looking for a technically perfect swing (.. Although that would be nice), just one that reduces my bad miss that, at the minute, I can't seem to shake off and is wrecking any chance of making a score.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm trying to fix the cause though not the symptom.

What's causing my bad play (Symptom) is a swing flaw at transition (Cause). Fixing that, at least to some manageable degree solves the issue?

I understand what you mean about taking the pressure off, but the cause of the lack of enjoyment will still be there.

I'm not looking for a technically perfect swing (.. Although that would be nice), just one that reduces my bad miss that, at the minute, I can't seem to shake off and is wrecking any chance of making a score.

If you are talking swing thoughts etc then sorry I haven't got a clue

I don't worry about those things and just hit it as believe swing thoughts etc rip the enjoyment out of it

Speak to your pro about any swing stuff - if you have something in your mind about your swing only a pro will help you sort that out

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have solved problems both ways, mostly by taking a break though.

In the "play through it" mode I tended to turn up on the weekend and try to work out what was going wrong. Too often by the time I have worked it out its too late and the card is wrecked.

The most successful option for me is to get on the course late evening when there is not many around. Deliberately not marking a score and repeating any bad shots until you get a shot you are happy with.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you are being very hard on yourself.
This "swing flaw" has seen you shooting under your handicap and hitting a great drive and an "all wrong" 6 iron to 18ft. How high are your blinking expectations?!