Basic rules for a newbie

V

vkurup

As I venture into more competitions, needed a quick revision on rules. How do i count the scores in the following situations

1) Tee sure fire hit into OOB.. provisional taken and in play.

2) Tee hit near OOB and there is hope to find it. Looked around and declared ball missing. The group behind ready to tee off, so no point treking back. Take a drop and hit from there

3) Tee hit near OOB, Provisional hit. Tee found and provisional found

4) Tee hit near OOB, Provisional hit. Tee found but provisional lost

5) Playing from the fairway.. hit the ball, slashes into the water. Retake the shot from the same spot

6) Hit the ball, gets into an uplayable lie (under a tree, stuck in tractor tracks, water edge, my dog ate it etc).. drop the ball into one or two clublength

tnx in advance..

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
1) 3 off the tee.
2) have to go back and hit from the tee, 3rd shot
3) play original ball, next shot 2nd shot
4) play original ball, next shot 2nd shot
5) ???
6) one shot penalty, so next shot will be 3rd.

- Play the ball from where it was originally played.
- Drop the ball, no closer to the hole, two club lengths from the ball is unplayable.
- Keeping the point of the unplayable lie between you and the hole, you may go back as far as you want/need and drop the ball along that point

thats what I think anyway, correct me if I'm wrong !

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
5) is include the shot you just hit into the water and add another for the penalty drop, so if you hit your 2nd into the water you drop another and are now playing your 4th shot.

You don't have to drop where you hit from though if you don't want to. You can also drop as far behind the hazard as you want, keeping the point where it last crossed the margin of the hazard between you and the flag.
If it is a red staked hazard you can also drop within 2 club lengths of where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard, no nearer the hole (or also a point equidistant from the hole on the opposite side of the hazard).

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Scenario 2 cannot happen. You either go back to the tee or NR that hole. You can't drop a ball where it went out as a penalty for OOB.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Scenario 2 cannot happen. You either go back to the tee or NR that hole. You can't drop a ball where it went out as a penalty for OOB.

Never seen an NR in stroke play. At last years Senior PGA I was on the bag for my father-in-law and he hit his tee shot OOB, but only realised this at the point where we looked for it. Rules official offered a drop for stroke & distance or a walk to the tee.

V

vkurup

More in social golf.. taking a shot from where we last thought or saw the ball crossed the white stakes/oob markers

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never seen an NR in stroke play. At last years Senior PGA I was on the bag for my father-in-law and he hit his tee shot OOB, but only realised this at the point where we looked for it. Rules official offered a drop for stroke & distance or a walk to the tee.

Rule official was wrong as far as i know Greig .. (open to correction tho) back to the tee or NR in strokes ,matchplay & v par its loss of hole , stableford its scratch for that hole ..

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
More in social golf.. taking a shot from where we last thought or saw the ball crossed the white stakes/oob markers

your op mentioned "as i venture into more competitions "... as for social golf, you can hit from where ya want realy, providing you dont delay or endanger others ..

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy way to remember club lengths for dropping.

If there is a penalty involved e.g. for unplayable lie, then you get 2 clubs lengths.

If it is a free drop without penalty e.g. abnormal ground, then you get 1 club length.

The ball can then roll up to 2 club lengths in either scenario.

V

vkurup

Easy way to remember club lengths for dropping.

If there is a penalty involved e.g. for unplayable lie, then you get 2 clubs lengths.

If it is a free drop without penalty e.g. abnormal ground, then you get 1 club length.

The ball can then roll up to 2 club lengths in either scenario.

This is useful palindromicbob.. tnx

V

vkurup

For #5...
5) Playing from the fairway.. hit the ball, slashes into the water. Retake the shot from the same spot

If I take my second shot, and hit into the water or other OOB. In social golf, I can do two things.

a) Retake the shot by dropping the ball in the same spot
b) (I am sure not this is incorrect).. to keep up pace, we let the poor fella to walk up to where the ball crossed the water body/OOB and drop a ball and take his next shot.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
For #5...

If I take my second shot, and hit into the water or other OOB. In social golf, I can do two things.

a) Retake the shot by dropping the ball in the same spot
b) (I am sure not this is incorrect).. to keep up pace, we let the poor fella to walk up to where the ball crossed the water body/OOB and drop a ball and take his next shot.

it might be, and it might not...

rule 26 isn't rocket science in it's basics (but can get a little prickly round the edges) so why not just do it properly'ish.

1. either play again from same spot
2. or drop on a line back keeping the spot the ball last crossed the water hazard between you and the flagstick (exactly!)
3. if the stakes are red, rather than yellow, you get the additional option to drop within 2 club lengths of the point the ball last crossed the hazard (same point established in 2) not nearer the hole and not in the hazard. You can also drop it on the other side of the red hazard using a point equidistant to the hole as your reference point.

Whilst there are some nuances about the last part of 3, the underlying principle is pretty basic and worth learning in the same way as provisional balls, lost balls, GUR and obstructions. They crop up all the time.