Provisional for suspected lost ball, then ball found but unplayable

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a follow up rules question.
In stroke play, if a FC plays a provisional and then asks that the group not look for his first ball, is it my duty to look for it anyway to protect the rest of the field?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In stroke play, if a FC plays a provisional and then asks that the group not look for his first ball, is it my duty to look for it anyway to protect the rest of the field?

While Bob has already answered can I ask... protect the rest of the field from what?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is never a duty to search for another player's ball but if the player asks or searches themselves it is effectively a moral obligation to help them.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
While Bob has already answered can I ask... protect the rest of the field from what?
I meant it in the sense of making sure the rules are followed.
I just wanted to know if the rules require that you look for a ball after a provisional has been played.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just wanted to know if the rules require that you look for a ball after a provisional has been played.
As BB says but if you or someone else accidentally finds it you must abandon the provisional.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others say, there's no obligation under the rules to look for a ball. It's just that if you do bother to start looking, the rules simply limit how long you can spend doing it - so that you're not there all day ...

salfordlad

Visit site
There is no requirement to search. But if any ball is found before your provisional becomes ball in play, you are required to identify if it is your original ball.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies explaining what to do if a ball is found. I already knew those rules. The only thing I was asking about is whether there's an expectation/requirement to look for it. I now know that there isn't.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies explaining what to do if a ball is found. I already knew those rules. The only thing I was asking about is whether there's an expectation/requirement to look for it. I now know that there isn't.
Although you asked a specific question, often the questioner or others reading the post may not be aware of the broader picture. Other posters (including me) may think it could be worthwhile to post some extra comments on chance they may be useful.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Although you asked a specific question, often the questioner or others reading the post may not be aware of the broader picture. Other posters (including me) may think it could be worthwhile to post some extra comments on chance they may be useful.
Ok, fair point. Thanks.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Walking up and playing the provisional ball may not, in itself, be sufficient to make it the ball in play. In this scenario, the provisional ball becomes the ball in play only when it is played from a spot nearer the hole than where the original ball is estimated to be. It may be necessary to play the provisional ball more than once until this is achieved. (Rule 18.3c(2))
What if the provisional is close to the hole than the opponent's ball - attempting to play it before the opponent has a chance to find your first ball could be playing out of turn? Aware this is a complete red herring but a "fun" question...

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
What if the provisional is close to the hole than the opponent's ball - attempting to play it before the opponent has a chance to find your first ball could be playing out of turn? Aware this is a complete red herring but a "fun" question...
In strokeplay no issue at all. In matchplay the opponent can ask you to replay your shot the shot, but the provisional remains the ball in play.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Correct.

Incorrect. By definition, the provisional ball is not the ball in play and it certainly doesn't 'remain' the ball in play.
Are you merely saying here that once the provisional ball is played from nearer the hole it is no longer a provisional ball?. In which case the premise of my answer would be correct, just the terminology is wrong. Yes?

salfordlad

Visit site
In strokeplay no issue at all. In matchplay the opponent can ask you to replay your shot the shot, but the provisional remains the ball in play.
Let's step this through this response to azazel's post #54 so everyone is on the same page.

Assume your provisional is a foot from the hole, much closer than where your original is estimated to be and where your opponent's ball is. Your opponent is searching for your original in the rubbish but you have no interest in finding it. You scurry up to your provisional and tap in. Immediately after, the opponent shouts "found your original and you played the provisional out of order so I'm cancelling that stroke". What is the ruling?

The provisional ball became ball in play when it was played from next to the hole and the original ball became a wrong ball (18.3c(2)). The opponent's cancellation of your stroke does not alter that and requires you to replace the (formerly) provisional ball where it was played from but it's status is ball in play and the original ball remains a wrong ball.

This is the narrative covered in greater depth in 18.3c(2)/2.