Bandits/Cheats/Good Days and Bad

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Reading numerous threads about changes to the handicap upper limit and the affect these will have on comps has led me to think about were the biggest handicap risk in comps come from.

IMO, the biggest challenge is playing the golfer in the 10-18 handicap range, this is also the range, IMO, were the biggest bandits live.

9 and below, you know you have to bring your best game.

19 and above, they have the inconsistencey they have to worry about.

I really don’t see anyone genuinely above 28 turning up on more than 4-5 holes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. The most common comp winners at my place seem to be guys off of 11-14 who are obviously capable of having a fantastic round they just don't do that on a consistent basis. There's usually one of them who turns up on the day and hits a 6 over gross to win it.

Edit: for clarity, I wasn't agreeing that people in this range are bandits, just that the most winners seem to come from here.:thup:

Last edited:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reading numerous threads about changes to the handicap upper limit and the affect these will have on comps has led me to think about were the biggest handicap risk in comps come from.

IMO, the biggest challenge is playing the golfer in the 10-18 handicap range, this is also the range, IMO, were the biggest bandits live.

9 and below, you know you have to bring your best game.

19 and above, they have the inconsistencey they have to worry about.

I really don’t see anyone genuinely above 28 turning up on more than 4-5 holes.

Do you class yourself as a bandit/cheat ?

Rather strange thing to say that players in this bracket might be cheats.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with this too.

I am playing off 15 and I know I have the ability to shoot beneath that but it just hasn't happened in a comp yet.

But I am taking lessons every month and try to get to the range at least once a week. During the summer I am on the course nearly every evening. So I wouldn't say I am a cheat or a bandit as I am practicing and trying to get the handicap down. So if I do win a comp and get cut then I guess my hard work is starting to pay off.

D

Deleted member 16999

Do you class yourself as a bandit/cheat ?

Rather strange thing to say that players in this bracket might be cheats.
Also put good days and bad days.

I certainly believe I can play to 6 or 26 on any given day.

Those who are rumoured on here to fix their handicaps in national comps live in this category.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at it from a different perspective will get you the same answer.

There's little kudos or stigma associatednwith any handicap between about 8 and 18 (possibly a touch around single figures) so there is little by way of natural pressure to get a better handicap.

All this means is that you are more likely to find someone in that range who's more concerned about winning than lowering their handicap.

This can translate into consciously massaging their handicap to improve their chances of winning (cheating) and unconsciously doing it (bandit).

If the gap between handicap and capability gets too large the latter will, eventually, find himself winning, or just cut, in Q events whilst the former probably won't be playing in one!

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with this too.

I am playing off 15 and I know I have the ability to shoot beneath that but it just hasn't happened in a comp yet.

But I am taking lessons every month and try to get to the range at least once a week. During the summer I am on the course nearly every evening. So I wouldn't say I am a cheat or a bandit as I am practicing and trying to get the handicap down. So if I do win a comp and get cut then I guess my hard work is starting to pay off.

Stick at it! During the summer evenings do you play on the course, or practice at a chipping area/putting?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stick at it! During the summer evenings do you play on the course, or practice at a chipping area/putting?

So last year it was all on the course when I could but this was because my club didn't have any practice facilities.

I have joined a new course this year for that exact reason so I will be trying to mix it up a bit more this year with a few evenings on the practice ground and a few evenings squeezing in a few holes.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So last year it was all on the course when I could but this was because my club didn't have any practice facilities.

I have joined a new course this year for that exact reason so I will be trying to mix it up a bit more this year with a few evenings on the practice ground and a few evenings squeezing in a few holes.

Without 'bragging as such' in 2016 I played all summer long on the course, never improved a bit. Stayed at 21 hc all year.
Last year I practiced on chipping area, putting green, driving range (one area a night) and then had maybe 2 or 4 holes at the end just to see how it worked in real life course situations.....numerous times walked in level par or 1 over. Last year my handicap dropped from 21 to 8. Practice on the same thing over and over is better than playing on the course IMO! Stick at it, Single Figures awaits :)!
w

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Without 'bragging as such' in 2016 I played all summer long on the course, never improved a bit. Stayed at 21 hc all year.
Last year I practiced on chipping area, putting green, driving range (one area a night) and then had maybe 2 or 4 holes at the end just to see how it worked in real life course situations.....numerous times walked in level par or 1 over. Last year my handicap dropped from 21 to 8. Practice on the same thing over and over is better than playing on the course IMO! Stick at it, Single Figures awaits :)!
w

Wow well done! that is some drop.

I am hoping for similar results. Hoping to spend a lot of time around the pitching and chipping area to really improve this part of my game.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
In medals I agree that mid teen handicappers have the best opportunity to win, as they are often capable of single figure scores on the right day.

In stablefords my experience is that the higher handicappers tend to win, new golfer around the 26-28 handicap that often win. This is where bandits start, as they have improved much quicker than their handicap has fallen which is often the case for new golfers as they get more consistent.

The reason why they win stablefords is because 26-28 handicappers will often have 1-3 massive blow ups, like 8s or 9s which in medals puts them out of contention but easily recoverable in stablefords.

As for those who artificially keep there handicaps high in order to win competitions they should be banned from winning any prizes

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Judging from our competition divisions, Div 2 11-15 is certainly the most populated/concentrated area of handicaps and is probably the hardest division to win.

It is very rare to see the division won by someone playing to their handicap which can be seen reasonably often in Div 1.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
w
Thats awesome well done .
This is the correct way to do it .
you must work on the weak parts of your game but don’t neglect the rest .
I practice for an hour then play nine .
If I don’t pull off the shots I just practiced =no pudding after my tea !
That last bit was a lie!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with this too.

Up for a friendly handicap challenge this season mate?

I am off the same handicap and getting monthly lessons, hoping to get to singles this season.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think it's anything other than lack of consistency, I'm now off 13 (12.5) but can often par either 9 holes of my course or very occasionally shoot level par gross but equally can get into the 90's without too much trouble. It really just depends what swing ive bought with me on the day.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Completely agree, I'm off 16.5 currently but on the way have had scores of 8 over gross, 10 over gross. Did bother me at first, people thinking something other than he's having a blinder. But equally I have played with the same people and shot 23 points in a stab and top end of 90 in medals.

Can't say iv ever played with anyone and thought what a bandit/cheat maybe I'm lucky

Last edited:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
People, both on the course and on forums are quick to jump to nasty conclusions. There are indeed bandits and cheats out there and shame on them, but I'm very cautious to name anyone as such. Most golfers are seeking to improve, therefore it should never be a shock when an improving golfer shoots below or way below their handicap. The handicap will catch up with them.

Must always know the difference between an improving golfer and a cheat.....on paper alone it's not always easy to see the difference

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Most golfers are seeking to improve, therefore it should never be a shock when an improving golfer shoots below or way below their handicap. The handicap will catch up with them.

It will do if they are handing cards in. But what if they're not? Over the years I've played with plenty of people who shoot the lights out in friendly games but hardly ever play in qualifiers. Cheats? Bandits? Dunno, but it doesn't half annoy me when I have to hand the winnings over to them.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will do if they are handing cards in. But what if they're not? Over the years I've played with plenty of people who shoot the lights out in friendly games but hardly ever play in qualifiers. Cheats? Bandits? Dunno, but it doesn't half annoy me when I have to hand the winnings over to them.

Agree the stakes, then agree that you will all submit supplemental cards......:clap:

Or just pointedly decline to play them for money