Ball hits overhead wires

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I played a course today where my playing partner played a shot that hit overhead wires and deflected onto the green , 12 inches from the hole , could of gone in , a note on the card , i assume a local rule, states that any ball striking overhead wires to be played again without penalty , can you opt not to and would you still have to if the ball had gone in ? thanks

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What is it about the word "must" that leads to any doubt as to what's required - if 'twas optional is would say "can".

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My club has power cables running across it. The rule is:

"If a ball strikes any power cables (not the pylons) within the course the player must disregard the stroke, abandon the ball and play another ball as near as possible from the spot from which the original ball was played without penalty"

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
Same here - home course has the rule as has others around here - in fact any course I've played has stated you must replay the shot.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone, you pretty much echo my thoughts with the word "must" . We argued the hypothetical point of if the ball had gone in , one of the group was adamant that its "just" a local rule and the rules of golf are that the hole is over when the ball goes in the hole , therefore the hole was finished before another shot could be played . I thought he was talking tripe , but was not going to get into an argument over something that had not even happened .

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's wrong that you must replay the shot, you should have the choice

That would make it the only golf rule where you would be able to make a choice after the interference had had it's impact.
It's a fundamental under the rules that such choices are avoided (provisional balls only being suffered by the rule makers because of the time saving element!)

Other relief options require you to consider the potential advantage, or disadvantage, or taking relief before the shot is played eg playing or dropping from a path.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks everyone, you pretty much echo my thoughts with the word "must" . We argued the hypothetical point of if the ball had gone in , one of the group was adamant that its "just" a local rule and the rules of golf are that the hole is over when the ball goes in the hole , therefore the hole was finished before another shot could be played . I thought he was talking tripe , but was not going to get into an argument over something that had not even happened .

As Duncan has stated, it's fundamental to the RofG that you don't get to choose between options where one of the 'results' is already known! That's why the 'must' exists in that LR!

As for the hole being over when the ball went into the hole... Yes that is correct! But likewise, the LR was in effect as soon as the ball hit the cables, so what happened after that is irrelevant!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think it's wrong that you must replay the shot, you should have the choice

You used to have a choice, now its a mandatory replay.

I'm also in the can if you want. Which begs the question, why can't you reply the shot without penalty if it hits a tree? You can see the wires, and take a chance on the shot, just as you can see the tree...

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm also in the can if you want. Which begs the question, why can't you reply the shot without penalty if it hits a tree? You can see the wires, and take a chance on the shot, just as you can see the tree...

The wires carry hundreds of thousands of volts with the off chance that something may possibly pass to the ball and then be hit by a metal object in the hand - it's purely a safety reason even if the chance of something happening is one in a million if not a damn sight more longer odds.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Castle heather in had an overhead inverness had cable over a whole, hole from tee to green, moved since, but i think you had a choice, was a while ago.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The wires carry hundreds of thousands of volts with the off chance that something may possibly pass to the ball and then be hit by a metal object in the hand - it's purely a safety reason even if the chance of something happening is one in a million if not a damn sight more longer odds.

Complete tosh!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely not. Silvermere has lines going over one hole and my PP managed to hit it twice in succession. Impressive. Had to replay both times as the scorecard was very clear. It doesn't give an option

You've looked at that from the wrong angle (too)!

It was the 'purely safety' (the bit in bold!) that I was referring too!

I've actually hit the cables at Silvermere on all 3 holes where they encroach - in the same round!