Backstopping.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-walker-apos-surprising-backstopping-213840962.html

This seems to have reared it's head this week after Jimmy Walkers comments on twitter.
It surprises me because I would have thought that this would be one of the rules that a pro definitely would know, but the way Jimmy tweeted about it he seemed ignorant that it was illegal to do it consensually (sp?).

I've done it in team games for my partner without a word being said, and if a word was said I'd then go and mark my ball just in case.

But as for normal Medals etc. I mark my ball everytime if I can, and expect others to do the same.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you can put with that degree of precision to get a predictable cannon of another ball then good luck to you !!!

There's a few things golfers do that may be questionable but this does not exactly rank as the crime of the century in my book.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because it was never clear and concise I always thought it was courteous to leave a ball if it could in fact assist a fellow player. I viewed it as a 'rub of the green' as it was very fortunate to actually hit it and benefit from it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really understand how this makes any real difference. I can't recall ever seeing a guy hit another player's ball from a putt or chip. Seems insignificant to me. When I'm on a green and someone else is putting I usually ask the putter if they'd like me to mark my ball or not. And that's in terms of whether it's in their eye-line and likely to put them off, I never considered they would say no on the basis that it might stop their ball rolling too far past. :confused:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's not when putting though is it - isn't it related to shots from off the green (eg putting or chipping from the fringe)

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I've seen plenty of chips from off the green where one ball hits another and ends up closer to the hole than they would have been.
All legal at the time ofc, as the players involved didn't get the chance to mark their ball, nor did they have a conversation about it.

Leaving your ball as a backstop is only illegal if you 'collude' to do so with another player.
If you say nothing, then it's fine.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've had a severely thinned chip cannon off a ball and go in for a birdie. I guess there's a 50/50 chance that a ball will be deflected towards the hole. One things for sure I've seen, and experienced, plenty of balls that would have been well past if the sting hadn't been taken out of them by hitting another ball.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-walker-apos-surprising-backstopping-213840962.html

This seems to have reared it's head this week after Jimmy Walkers comments on twitter.
It surprises me because I would have thought that this would be one of the rules that a pro definitely would know, but the way Jimmy tweeted about it he seemed ignorant that it was illegal to do it consensually (sp?).

I've done it in team games for my partner without a word being said, and if a word was said I'd then go and mark my ball just in case.

But as for normal Medals etc. I mark my ball everytime if I can, and expect others to do the same.

I liked the part where Jimmy Walker got cocky and said "Golf is hard. You should try it some time." and the guy basically said "I played European Tour and Australian Tour for 20 years, so I have tried it." :rofl:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So I did this yesterday, faced with a tricky downhill chip off a bare(ish) lie.
FC's pitch had finished about 1 ft right and marginally behind the hole.
I stated 'I'm ready, I'll play' so he got the message not to mark it (though he had adequate opportunity to do so) but we did not 'collude'

The result - I hit his ball so I finished 1ft from the hole not 3ft or so

Thoughts?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The only thing I made obvious though was the fact I was ready to play, having already addressed the ball following my practice strokes. Open to interpretation by my FC I guess as to what my reasoning was. Certainly there was no prior agreement to give me any advantage

Actually probably put myself at a disadvantage as if I'd have focussed 100% on the hole I'd have probably holed it