What a fantastic move this would be.......

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Players seem to be talking about the Tour changing it's logo from Vardon to Seve's 84 pose...................I think this would be a superb move not just as an outstanding mark of respect but also as a marketing tool. It would make it instantly recognisable a bit like the Open logo...I bet many don't know that is Vardon on the Tour logo at the moment!!

PAUL LAWRIE FAVOURS CHANGING LOGO TO IMAGE OF SEVE

Former Open champion Paul Lawrie is one of a number of players in favour of the European Tour changing their recently adopted logo (pictured right) to honour Spanish great Seve Ballesteros.
The Tour paid for a new logo featuring (an action silhouette of) six-times Open champion Harry Vardon to coincide with the launch of the Race to Dubai series for the 2009 season.
But Lawrie believes the now famed image of Ballesteros, who died on Saturday after a long battle with brain cancer, on the final green at the 1984 Open at St Andrews should have been used instead.
"I absolutely support the idea (of changing it) as it would be a great move," Lawrie said.
"Seve is the reason why we are playing on the European Tour, and everyone would have that opinion, so I fully agree with that."
Tributes have poured in from all over the world for Ballesteros, who was considered one of the sport's greatest players.
The 54-year-old claimed five majors and won a record 50 European Tour titles before retiring because of back problems in 2007.
Those achievements left Lawrie feeling that the original logo should have featured the Spaniard and not Vardon, who won the last of his Open titles in 1914.
"There are quite a few players who believe that it should have been a logo featuring Seve in the first place," said the 1999 Open champion at Carnoustie.
"Of course, it's not for me to tell the Tour what to do. The current logo is a nice logo and it's been very well done.
"But everyone knows and agrees that it was Seve was the player that really started it all for the European Tour. He was the difference.
"We shouldn't be changing the logo just because he's gone but that's always been the case so maybe it could have been a Seve logo from the word 'go'."
Lawrie's compatriot and fellow European Tour professional, Andy Coltart, who has been busy moving house, used Twitter to back the idea of changing the logo.
"We've already got a Harry Vardon Trophy, so why not a Seve logo instead," the Scot tweeted.
"No disrespect to Harry Vardon, who is obviously... a legend, but today's strength in the European Tour is down to Seve, and he is 21st century.
"I hear that the Seve Trophy may struggle to continue getting a sponsor, so that's another reason," Coltart said of the annual Britain and Ireland v Continental Europe matches.
"We need to make sure we have some kind of recognition of Seve's legendary status."
However, former Spanish Open winner Peter Lawrie believed the timing of a possible change was not appropriate.
"The Tour spent an awful lot of money designing the Vardon logo but... I would look at it as an emotional reaction if they were to change it now," said the Irishman.
"The thing is if you look at the history of the Tour, it didn't start with Seve, and while it would be nice to honour his memory by changing the logo, I'm not in favour of a change just yet."

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surely there could be some deal done to buy that particular right for a period of time, say a dontation to the Seve Foundation. If they can't use that particular logo the Tour do need to find some way of utilising Seve's name or image to show their appreciation for what he did for them

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely there could be some deal done to buy that particular right for a period of time, say a dontation to the Seve Foundation.
It's not necessarily that they need the rights to use it. Maybe they just wouldn't want to effectively advertise one particular brand over the others.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would be great to have a logo representing Seve. He made the European Tour what it is today. If the famous 1984 St Andrews celebration can't be used how about a logo based on this one?

136337%5fm16.jpg

One of my all time favourite golf pictures. Captures his dynamism and the excitement of his golf perfectly, especially the full version (can't find it unfortunately - this is from the European Tour website)

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like I'm in the minority here, as I don't think that immortalising him in a logo goes anywhere near what he deserves.

The current Seve Trophy hasn't really captured the public's imagination to date and I would love to see much more significant competition named after him so that it could be an enduring celebration of what he brought to the game.

The World Matchplay would seem a fitting event given his tremendous matchplay success.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
redesigning the logo or renaming an existing event doesn't seem enough. what's needed is a new event that epitomises his spirit and sheer bloody brilliance, something other than the standard 4-day strokeplay.