Avoiding the obvious - is it a mental issue?

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
As per another thread, I've just got back from 9 holes of golf. I went round in 42, which was ok, but this included 1 absolutely disaster hole.

This hole is the 2nd. There is a lake on the right, but still plenty of fairway on the left.

I lost three balls in the lake off the tee.

For my first I took a hybrid. I have a natural fade to my shots, so aimed well left, but still managed to find the wet stuff.

For my second I took the same hybrid but aimed even further left. I managed to hit an even greater fade, which just splashed 10 feet from the edge of the lake.

For my third I abandoned the hybrid and played a 4 iron which - you guessed it - I faded into the water.

You can see the hole here:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=go...46,14.128418&t=h&hq=godstone+golf+course&z=18

My question is - what the hell can one do to avoid the obvious hazard?

It shouldn't be difficult - there is as much fairway as there is lake, and I was aiming well left. Despite that, I hit three shots consecutively into the lake.

How therefore do you deal with 'obvious hazards'? By that, I mean is it a mental issue which means that by focussing too much on missing a certain obstacle you're more likely to find yourself in it?

barrybridges

Head Pro
I should point out that this is not the first time I've lost balls on this hole. In the past year I reckon I've easily got through a full pack of 12 in the lake.

No matter how much I focus and aim left, I always end up in the wet stuff.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Theres definitely a school of thought that says the further to the left you aim it the more you will slice it. Theres a possibility that you are pointing your body left and hence your swing path is further left but you are leaving the club face open relative to this aim hence creating more left to right sidespin on the ball. Would definitely double check your full alignment on this hole

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:rofl::whoo:
I should point out that this is not the first time I've lost balls on this hole. In the past year I reckon I've easily got through a full pack of 12 in the lake.

No matter how much I focus and aim left, I always end up in the wet stuff.
let me know when your going i could do with some balls ( i will bring snorkel and mask)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Theres definitely a school of thought that says the further to the left you aim it the more you will slice it. Theres a possibility that you are pointing your body left and hence your swing path is further left but you are leaving the club face open relative to this aim hence creating more left to right sidespin on the ball. Would definitely double check your full alignment on this hole

^
^
This.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your/anyones brain does not do. Do&don't. You keep saying to yourself don't go in the water, don't go in the water. Your brain only sees water. So thats where the ball goes. Next time just ignore the water push it out of your mind dont even think about it (easier said than done). Just tee up and play your normal shot.

P.s. Did the old guy go in the water?(sorry cheap shot):whistle:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Alignment as stated above. Also rather than just aiming for a general area try picking a specific point on the fairway, a leaf or discoloured piece of grass, and hit to that. Even imagine a green out there at 200, with a pin in the middle, if it was a par 3 of that length you probably wouldnt end up in the water as often, how often do you miss long par 3s that far right?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suffer a fade/slice, the more left the further right it goes. Aim straight ish and turn your shoulders left slightly at address (it works for me) very slight fade/straight

also try swinging slightly slower, smooth backswing gentle downswing, it will be quicker than it feels but not over quick

I am no expert (by a long chalk and never will be) but found this seems to work wonders for me so worth a try :thup:

barrybridges

Head Pro
I suffer a fade/slice, the more left the further right it goes. Aim straight ish and turn your shoulders left slightly at address (it works for me) very slight fade/straight

also try swinging slightly slower, smooth backswing gentle downswing, it will be quicker than it feels but not over quick

I am no expert (by a long chalk and never will be) but found this seems to work wonders for me so worth a try :thup:

All very good feedback, thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Sometimes the more you try and avoid something you more you end up hitting into it.

A

Alex1975

If I had scored 42 in 9 holes with three balls in a lake my post would have a different title.... did I miss something?

Do you know, is your fade/slice caused by you coming over the top?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
All very good feedback, thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Sometimes the more you try and avoid something you more you end up hitting into it.

Take on the green with driver. how long is the hole? looks short so why play short.
grip it and rip it.

or take someting off the tee that won't reach the lake, like putter;)

barrybridges

Head Pro
Take on the green with driver. how long is the hole? looks short so why play short.
grip it and rip it.

or take someting off the tee that won't reach the lake, like putter;)

Ah - taking the driver. Now that's a recipe for disaster.

The gulley/ridge running 50 yards short of the green is in-play with a driver - it'd be 20% chance of clearing it and 80% chance of running into it.

The best approach is a hybrid or 3 wood, then a 7 or 9 into the green IMHO. Or, 5-off-the-tee, if you like to get your balls wet (again, proverbially).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The way I see it Barry, wait till your a bit older and it won't matter as golf will be only a pastime and not a sport - it really won't matter then, according to your post on the other thread!