Audience member offended by Joe Lycett joke. Calls the police

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like the fella, but i am assuming it is a stunt. He did make a spoof of the Sue Gray report which upended a few people

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I think of some of the comedy we saw 50 years back !

Will they ever make 'Goodness Gracious me' in this day and age. and that was benign in many ways..

PS: Saw one episode of Citizen Khan.. absolutely hated it and not a shade of GGM. Though i would not call the police on them

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They asked him what the joke was and the context of it. He explained, they closed the case. It's time taken, time better spent elsewhere imo but I understand that is not the fault of the police.

Without knowing the full details of the joke it is hard to judge but if you are easily offended, stay at home and listen to The Archers.
Isn’t it the fault of Police ?
Survey out the other day saying Burglary wasn’t even looked into in most parts of the country.
But they can spare an officer to look into this.
That beggars belief imo.
The Police need a reset in the way they deal with things like this.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will they ever make 'Goodness Gracious me' in this day and age. and that was benign in many ways..

PS: Saw one episode of Citizen Khan.. absolutely hated it and not a shade of GGM. Though i would not call the police on them
Remember Love thy Neighbour they would be in jail now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Even Little Britain wouldn't make it nowadays. Do they still show repeats of that? Every character was one stereotype or another. I don't think many of them would make it through the 2022 edit. Would be about 7 minutes of material left from each episode. :LOL:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even Little Britain wouldn't make it nowadays. Do they still show repeats of that? Every character was one stereotype or another. I don't think many of them would make it through the 2022 edit. Would be about 7 minutes of material left from each episode. :LOL:

What about come fly with me? I was surprised that made it then!

On the subject.. for crying out loud .. it's a joke. Too many easily offended

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't remember Steptoe being offensive, or am I remembering incorrectly?
No nor me.
But there must of been the odd one given when it was made.
But even “You dirty old man” would offend someone on somebody else’s behalf.!
Maybe my memory is playing tricks, but I seem to remember a few about 'customers'.
It was a brilliant series, but I'm not sure I'd want to see it now. I think to many things that have been improved infinitely since would likely spoil it.
Btw. It has to be... 'You DIR tee old man'! that was the jingle, just as 'Scouse Git!' was for TDUDP. I actually enjoyed the US version/copy All in the Family better than TDUPD

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe my memory is playing tricks, but I seem to remember a few about 'customers'.
It was a brilliant series, but I'm not sure I'd want to see it now. I think to many things that have been improved infinitely since would likely spoil it.
Btw. It has to be... 'You DIR tee old man'! that was the jingle, just as 'Scouse Git!' was for TDUDP. I actually enjoyed the US version/copy All in the Family better than TDUPD
Yes agree.
But it would be good for someone to air a channel that shows this stuff.
But you would need a “ don’t bother if your easily offended “ spoiler alert.
Not going to happen though.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Censoring stuff often ruins it…
Watched the film Stardust at the weekend and after Robert De Niros excellent character Shakespeare (the closet gay pirate) gets outed he laments about his lost reputation. His crew reassure him telling him “We always knew you were a whoopsie”
It’s a small part of the film… Shakespeare’s private life doesn’t matter to them; he’ll always be their captain?
Alas no, someone decided it might offend and the line was cut. So the viewer is left not knowing this fact.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As times change, some humour doesn’t age well. Back in the mists of time I used to look forward to ‘Till death us do part.’ I started watching an episode a few months back but cringed at some of the comments, and switched it off. The lady that complained to the Police had the option to walk out.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Censoring stuff often ruins it…
Watched the film Stardust at the weekend and after Robert De Niros excellent character Shakespeare (the closet gay pirate) gets outed he laments about his lost reputation. His crew reassure him telling him “We always knew you were a whoopsie”
It’s a small part of the film… Shakespeare’s private life doesn’t matter to them; he’ll always be their captain?
Alas no, someone decided it might offend and the line was cut. So the viewer is left not knowing this fact.
I just looked and it's still in the netflix version. You probably weren't paying attention and just jumped to conclusions.

Last edited: