• Don't like him, and he should suffer the consequences and be cancelled

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Have no opinion on him really.

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
He was on the Comedians Comedian podcast just before Christmas. Also mentioned the then upcoming special. It’s a 2 hour interview worth listening to. It’s a quite nice podcast in general if you like comedy.

One thing he mentioned a couple of times is that it is usually other people being offended on behalf of the ‘target’ of the joke, the ‘target’ actually not bothered or even enjoying it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He was on the Comedians Comedian podcast just before Christmas. Also mentioned the then upcoming special. It’s a 2 hour interview worth listening to. It’s a quite nice podcast in general if you like comedy.

One thing he mentioned a couple of times is that it is usually other people being offended on behalf of the ‘target’ of the joke, the ‘target’ actually not bothered or even enjoying it.

And he know that because>……………. he reads minds too. Touch arrogant?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

The "target" were murdered about 80 years ago; they'd have a bit of a job being offended and I suspect they were bothered and didn't enjoy it.

I'm quite familiar with gallows humour and not much is out of bounds, but genocide is in my book.

D

Deleted member 23270

Agreed..... a bloke says that one of the worst crimes against humanity in history, wasn't all bad cos a certain group were included in the death toll.

Someone please explain the satirical content of that. I can't spot it.
I understand where he is coming from with that 'joke' about a minority that causes a lot of distress and upset to others but I'm not sure that makes his gag acceptable.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anti-woke Warriors are working so, so hard on this one...... must be well knackered when they go to bed... haha.... & well confused with who they are defending.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agreed..... a bloke says that one of the worst crimes against humanity in history, wasn't all bad cos a certain group were included in the death toll.

Someone please explain the satirical content of that. I can't spot it.

No one will ever be able to explain it to you in a way you find satisfactory because that’s the very essence of comedy. It’s entirely subjective. No joke has ever been made that everyone finds funny. No comedian has ever existed that is appreciated by all.

It was ever thus and it will ever be.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has anyone actually tried to explain it?

Different people interpret the same joke in different ways and get different things from it.

I made a post earlier in this thread explaining why I personally found the joke funny. I also acknowledged that other people would no doubt disagree that my interpretation was funny. Page 4 or 5 of this thread if you genuinely are interested.

D

Deleted member 16999

No one will ever be able to explain it to you in a way you find satisfactory because that’s the very essence of comedy. It’s entirely subjective. No joke has ever been made that everyone finds funny. No comedian has ever existed that is appreciated by all.

It was ever thus and it will ever be.
I get what you’re saying, I genuinely do, but the problem I have with your post (not aimed at you) is, those who say no subject is off limits are actually saying that it would be ok to make jokes about subjects like Child rape or murder etc so long as somebody, somewhere laughs!

I struggle with the, no subject should be off limits.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I remember your post at the time.

If you'd have stopped at, "it made me think," I'd have agreed with you. If that thought made you chuckle at your own narrow understanding about it, I guess I can understand that. But that is laughing at a joke?

Either way, seems wrong media, wrong time to me.

phillarrow

Visit site
So, to offer a genuine explanation as to why it is 'meant' to be funny...

The crux of this style of comedy is to create tension in the audience and then to relieve that tension. It is the relief of tension that makes people laugh. It's the same evolutionary response to the relief we feel when a scary situation is over - which explains why some people love roller coasters or horror films, for example.
By introducing a topic that is so obviously taboo (the holocaust) and then saying something that is utterly outlandish to the point of being nonsensical (that the holocaust had a positive side) this relieves the tension about the subject, because the punchline is so ludicrous. That is the explanation of why some people find comedy like this funny. In others, such a ludicrous punchline actually exacerbates the tension, so we wince and/or find it genuinely offensive. For us, the relief of tension didn't work, so we didn't laugh. This is where it is so subjective, just like some people only ever go on a roller coaster once.

Note: I am not saying it IS funny. I am not making a judgement at all about it (I've made my views clear earlier in the thread). I am simply answering the question about why it works as comedy.

Swango1980

Visit site
I get what you’re saying, I genuinely do, but the problem I have with your post (not aimed at you) is, those who say no subject is off limits are actually saying that it would be ok to make jokes about subjects like Child rape or murder etc so long as somebody, somewhere laughs!

I struggle with the, no subject should be off limits.
Not sure anybody said that? Or does that interpretation help you try and justify your own stance?

I'm pretty sure if a joke was told, and just 1 person in a world of billions found it funny, it probably was not a good joke, and probably extremely offensive if it was on such a sensitive topic.

That is different to many many people finding it funny, and also respecting the fact that the vast vast majority of people laughing are actually in agreement that the event / topic being discussed was a truly dreadful thing.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not sure anybody said that? Or does that interpretation help you try and justify your own stance?

I'm pretty sure if a joke was told, and just 1 person in a world of billions found it funny, it probably was not a good joke, and probably extremely offensive if it was on such a sensitive topic.

That is different to many many people finding it funny, and also respecting the fact that the vast vast majority of people laughing are actually in agreement that the event / topic being discussed was a truly dreadful thing.
Just a few examples from this thread, try playing the post instead of the poster!:rolleyes:

“I think nothing is out of bounds in comedy”

“There is not a single event or incident in history that should be outside the realms of comedy. Everything is fair game in my eyes.”

“Nothing should be off limits to comedy”

“In comedy everything is fair game.”

“I’m in the camp that nothing is off limits”

Swango1980

Visit site
Just a few examples from this thread, try playing the post instead of the poster!:rolleyes:

“I think nothing is out of bounds in comedy”

“There is not a single event or incident in history that should be outside the realms of comedy. Everything is fair game in my eyes.”

“Nothing should be off limits to comedy”

“In comedy everything is fair game.”

“I’m in the camp that nothing is off limits”

Please highlight which one of those statements backs up you claim "so long as somebody, somewhere laughs!"

Pretty please.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

The crux of this style of comedy is to create tension in the audience and then to relieve that tension. It is the relief of tension that makes people laugh. It's the same evolutionary response to the relief we feel when a scary situation is over - which explains why some people love roller coasters or horror films, for example.
By introducing a topic that is so obviously taboo (the holocaust) and then saying something that is utterly outlandish to the point of being nonsensical (that the holocaust had a positive side) this relieves the tension about the subject, because the punchline is so ludicrous. That is the explanation of why some people find comedy like this funny. In others, such a ludicrous punchline actually exacerbates the tension, so we wince and/or find it genuinely offensive. For us, the relief of tension didn't work, so we didn't laugh. This is where it is so subjective, just like some people only ever go on a roller coaster once.

Note: I am not saying it IS funny. I am not making a judgement at all about it (I've made my views clear earlier in the thread). I am simply answering the question about why it works as comedy.
I've been trying to work out in my head how this style of comedy works, usually when walking the dog, driving in to work etc. Mulling it over, how would I explain it etc. I kind of knew what I wanted to say but just couldn't get my explanation right. I read your post and you have nailed it. It doesn't judge the joke, or the reaction, simply explains the mechanics of it and the reactions people have. Top post (y)

D

Deleted member 16999

Please highlight which one of those statements backs up you claim "so long as somebody, somewhere laughs!"

Pretty please.
Again! Read my post! If a comedian tells a joke and nobody laughs or 1 million people laugh, have they or have they not told a JOKE? It may be the worst joke ever or the best joke ever, it was still a joke!
Stop looking for arguments!:mad:

Swango1980

Visit site

This is far too logical of a post. I like it.

Moving comedy to the side, we know many people like horror movies. I'm not a big fan, as they often make me feel uncomfortable, although I have watched a few in my time. Films like Saw, Hostel, The Human Centipede are primarily about extreme human torture. Should these movies be allowed to be made and screened? We all know that anyone who has suffered torture, including during the holocaust, it would have been the most horrific of ordeals. I'm sure those that have survived it, I'd understand many not enjoying these types of films. I watched one last week that was based around Nazi medical experiments during the holocaust. It wasn't a documentary, it was completely fictional and went crazy. Basically US soldiers get stuck in enemy territory, need to blow up a communication tower in a church, find out Nazis are conducting human experiments, one of which causes humans to become super powerful, almost indestructible monsters. Should films like this be banned, as effectively they are simply made for entertainment and make money? Or is it just comedy that needs to stay away from these subjects? Borat and his "kill the Jews" or "throw the Jews down the well"?

Swango1980

Visit site
Again! Read my post! If a comedian tells a joke and nobody laughs or 1 million people laugh, have they or have they not told a JOKE? It may be the worst joke ever or the best joke ever, it was still a joke!
Stop looking for arguments!:mad:
Come on paul, you are digging yourself a hole here. This is exactly what you said:

"I get what you’re saying, I genuinely do, but the problem I have with your post (not aimed at you) is, those who say no subject is off limits are actually saying that it would be ok to make jokes about subjects like Child rape or murder etc so long as somebody, somewhere laughs!"

I had no issues with how you began this statement, up to and including "no subject is off limits". However, you explanation thereafter, speaking on those peoples behalf, to justify this view was simply to say it is OK if one person in the world laughs. That is absolute garbage, not one person has said that anywhere. And, to be fair, if a comedian was only successful in making one person in the world laugh, they'd be pretty rubbish. They wouldn't make it very far in the mainstream, and that would be the clearest indication that this comedian has crossed "society's line"