At what point can you get cut

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
South coast - lovely. Cheers
Me too, unless it’s hayling I don’t believe that your place doesn’t change the course somewhat in winter. Even hayling have temps occasionally...when it’s frozen, have been known to use preferred lies & work on the course during the winter.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
South coast - lovely. Cheers
Then you probably need to appreciate the difference that a bit of distance further North has on courses during Winter.

I've played many courses, from Cornwall to Aberdeenshire in all seasons. Some Surrey courses, even well manned, supposedly Resort ones, can be virtually unplayable (and certainly not much fun to play) during Winter if there's even 'normal' amounts of rain - this Winter has been unusually dry. And Surrey isn't particularly far North! While (true) links ones are playable off their full length all year round, the further North one goes, the more 'protection' the turf needs during the colder months. That's why many 'Northern' courses have Winter course protection policies, which may include use of mats, teeing the ball up from fairway/rough and even use of Winter Greens.

The alternative is to close the course!

So consider yourself lucky that your location allows 'normal' play all year round! But appreciate that UK geography and weather means that's not the case for the entire country!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brilliant another thread gone South through no one contributing anything
Why don’t you ask the club? Seems odd to me if the comp was an NQ. Maybe the first fella declared a supplementary? Who knows. Can’t I go back to arguing now? 😉

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Why don’t you ask the club? Seems odd to me if the comp was an NQ. Maybe the first fella declared a supplementary? Who knows. Can’t I go back to arguing now? 😉
Am on it this morning if the secretary is in, didn't see it til Tuesday night when I got back from golf.

Tashyboy

Visit site
😂 constructive arguing is allowed. 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We can’t play qualifiers as per CONGU rules.

The Club is decent little Club.

It’s the weather in England that is inconsistent and our greenkeepers, all 4 of them, are great and put in a lot of effort.

An awful lot of clubs in England go to non-qualifiers in the winter.

Yep an awful lot of clubs ignore what is 'required'.

Glad I do not play at such a club.

D

Deleted member 18588

There are no qualifiers played at our Club from mid-October to mid-March.

Are the members, whose money and no one else's keeps the Club going, bothered by that?

Judging by the membership levels and support for the winter comps the answer would seem pretty clearly to be no they are not.

If members of other Clubs feel differently that is their prerogative but personally I have to say that I am rather tired of outsiders, including the authorities, telling us what we should be doing.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Secretary not in today. But I mentioned it to a PP. he said “ last year when I/he went in the week after Q comps finished. He had scored 43 points and asked to be cut. He was. He was told if anyone acores 45 points through the winter they are automatically cut.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Secretary not in today. But I mentioned it to a PP. he said “ last year when I/he went in the week after Q comps finished. He had scored 43 points and asked to be cut. He was. He was told if anyone acores 45 points through the winter they are automatically cut.

But, not their CONGU handicap, surely.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought all clubs did what ours does, and thats have winter mats either just in front of the tee box, in the middle of the tee box or behind the tee box. As a result, we can be on full mats and not lose any real distance compared to the normal white tee markers over the whole course.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
No winter mats at my place, not played on winter greens this year either. Also have a handful full qualifying comps over winter. Course plays off the full yellow tee yardage just about all winter.

Tashyboy

Visit site
But, not their CONGU handicap, surely.[/QUOTE
It was in the case of my PP and looking at the guy that got cut at the weekend, that was also the case. Don't know what has gone off til I see the GM hopefully on Tuesday. Seeing as he just took over as Captain of the GCMA East Midlands Region. Hopefully he is up to speed. Whatever GCMA is 😳

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
But, not their CONGU handicap, surely.
Well.....

I hope we can agree that if the handicap committee has evidence that a player's handicap doesn't reflect their capability they should adjust the handicap appropriately?

After which it becomes a question of what constitutes such evidence etc etc etc

As for the concept of 'winter' handicaps....ee have done that to death recently.
Personally I have some sympathy with Homer in that we run Q comps all year and use forward (rated) tees to bring an ele,ent of balance back to those who would flounder without any roll, poor lies off the fringes and less than true greens etc. Played a match agaisnt Crowborough on Monday and they have neither winter tees (a couple of mats inset on forward tees were in evidence - very sensible) nor winter greens either - certainly in one of the top 100 lists I've seen recently.
Courses should do what they think is right - but there seem to be more that could easily run Q comps for a longer season if they chose to!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would not be a member of a club that did non qualifies all winter.

My club does 2 to 4 competitions a month all winter long.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yep an awful lot of clubs ignore what is 'required'.

Glad I do not play at such a club.
Could you please expand and inform me what you believe we ignore from what is ‘required’

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could you please expand and inform me what you believe we ignore from what is ‘required’

When the variable standard scratch system came in (from memory) all clubs were told to stop automatically declaring competitions as non qualifiers.

From the current manual
It is against the spirit and intent of the system to adjust the terms and conditions of a competition deliberately, so that it is rendered non-qualifying on a technicality.

Non Qualifying Competition

A Non Qualifying Competition is a competition when the requirements of a Qualifying Competition are not satisfied.

In exceptional circumstances only, or with the authority of the Union, the committee in charge of a competition may declare it a Non Qualifying Competition before play commences and must so advise competitors before they commence play.

e.g
  • intentionally moving one or more tees forward when a Measured Course is available and in a suitable condition for play;
RE last bit if you always have winter tees in the same place you can have a measured course certificate for the winter tees, it is what we have.

D

Deleted member 18588

By playing most of our Winter comps as 4BBB, am-ams etc; we can provide 120+ members with a game on a Saturday during the period when daylight is at a premium.

That, to my mind, is more important than running qualifiers when there may be doubt beforehand over temporary greens having to be used.