Astonishing green fee of the week award

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Is that bad? Is one of those not the Ryder Cup courses?

I ask because we have two courses around here which are both charging £60 mid-week. You might argue that Seaton Carew can justify it by being in someone's top 100, I'd argue it's not. But Wynyard which styles itself as one of the best courses in the country on the back of hosting the Seve Trophy once? No way.

£70 doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Got an email from Celtic Manor.

Roman Road or Monty in May ??

£70 midweek £91 Weekend

Wow. No thanks.

Can you beat that??
I'd say that's about £60 too expensive for the weekend rate, based on my experience of it. I wonder if they are pumping up the prices, on the basis that once restrictions are lifted people will want a weekend away golfing?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

I ask because we have two courses around here which are both charging £60 mid-week. You might argue that Seaton Carew can justify it by being in someone's top 100, I'd argue it's not. But Wynyard which styles itself as one of the best courses in the country on the back of hosting the Seve Trophy once? No way.

£60 for season is 100% worth it

sunshine

Visit site
Got an email from Celtic Manor.

Roman Road or Monty in May ??

£70 midweek £91 Weekend

Wow. No thanks.

Can you beat that??

Golfnut has provided the reason for the prices - he thinks those courses hosted the Ryder Cup. I'm sure a lot of people think the same.

I wouldn't pay more than £30 for either of those courses.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Neither are Ryder Cup courses, The 2010 is the Ryder Cup course, and that will be even more.

Never played the Roman Road, but have played the Monty a couple of times. I like it, but wouldn't be going there just for those two courses, would only play them in addition to going for the 2010. Not sure it's worth £90, £60 is probably about right.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Dont really have a problem with it.

It may not be up there for many, but It's a club that has hosted a Ryder Cup (albeit not on the courses quoted) and whilst £70 is a lot - plenty of courses ive seen in Scotland are charging similar rates for similar courses.

Id never book a single tee time at a place like Celtic Manor though, would always be a weekend package, its simply awful value for money otherwise.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it that bad? How did it ever get the RC?

A Ryder Cup is not always about the quality of the course - a number of things are considered

1. layout suitable for large galleries and also it plays to a Matchplay
2. hotel Facilities on site
3. The grounds to support it all
4. MONEY

The Belfry for example isn’t a great course at all - same with Celtic Manor

sunshine

Visit site
2010 Course, now I understand.

I bet loads of people see £90 for Celtic Manor and pull the trigger straight away thinking they have a good deal. It's only when they get there they realise they are not playing the ryder cup course. I bet some people even play the Monty / Roman Road and believe they played the Ryder Cup course :ROFLMAO: