Arranging match plays gggrrrr

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
So it's that time of year again and the summer knockouts have been announced. Well actually that was 4 weeks ago, straight away I emailed and text my opponent. We now have 2 weeks after the weekend for our tie to be played. Has he replied? Has he heck, the text says it's been read on iMessage so he must know.

My question is more that if he doesn't reply can I claim the tie as I've tried to make contact? The same happened in the winter knockouts and last summer, I'm really starting to think about not bothering in the next ones. I wonder why some people enter.

Anyway rant over!

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
So it's that time of year again and the summer knockouts have been announced. Well actually that was 4 weeks ago, straight away I emailed and text my opponent. We now have 2 weeks after the weekend for our tie to be played. Has he replied? Has he heck, the text says it's been read on iMessage so he must know.

My question is more that if he doesn't reply can I claim the tie as I've tried to make contact? The same happened in the winter knockouts and last summer, I'm really starting to think about not bothering in the next ones. I wonder why some people enter.

Anyway rant over!

Depends what your competition rules say surely.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've spoken to the club manager who said that he will get in touch a week before the deadline. So I've no got to keep the last week free just in case he replies saying let's play. If I can't make it he could possibly claim the tie. As you can tell I'm a little frustrated right now.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've spoken to the club manager who said that he will get in touch a week before the deadline. So I've no got to keep the last week free just in case he replies saying let's play. If I can't make it he could possibly claim the tie. As you can tell I'm a little frustrated right now.

I've always been the first one to make contact in any matches I've played. Drives me mad but I hate not being organised. Keep us updated.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got one to be played by Sunday. Mailed my oppo last week as not heard from him. No reply and no call or mail from him. Will phone again this evening. No doubt to find that he can't play this weekend - then what. I'm guessing he will ask if I can play during the week...

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing worse than waiting to be contacted and then find they are going away and only have 1 free date, I played the first round of my club knockout at 5.30pm last week because of holidays. Playing my 2nd round match this week as my opponent is away for two weeks.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's one of the reasons I stopped playing knockouts years ago
It was just too much of a faff organising singles matches - don't get me started on doubles.....

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the next issue as we are also trying to sort out our pairs match too. So 2 weeks for both! Bet they both want to play on the same day!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not wanting to be too provocative and possibly a bit off thread, but is this not a sign of a new age problem where people are too reliant on email and text. What is wrong with a good old fashioned phone call( even modern smart phones still have this capability 😀) . It cuts out the ignoring excuse and stops back and forward messages that go round in circles.
Remember, it's good to talk

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's one of the reasons I stopped playing knockouts years ago
It was just too much of a faff organising singles matches - don't get me started on doubles.....

Pretty much this ^^^^^

And I never enter the annual drawn foursomes knockout, try organising a game with 3 other people you rarely, if ever, play with!

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would tend to offer three dates with the first contact so that you can demonstrate you have made the effort. If he then comes back late he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My summer match play has now been posted.
1st round by 9 July, so I will call my opponent and discuss things on the phone.

Email and texts are quite impersonal forms of communication I think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends at my place. I know a large number of members so can speak to them in person and get a date sorted. If not I'll text or email (acts as proof if there is an issue) and I will call but most members in our diary only have mobile numbers registered and so if they don't answer it's still down to leaving a voice mail and hoping for a reply. Not a fan of all the hassle and one of the reasons I didn't enter some of the national events this year or my summer knockout

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I tend to immediately email as soon as the draw is out with all the specific dates I can't play and ask when a good time would be to have a call and fix a date. The offering 3 dates thing is really awkward and archaic imo, might be necessary for disputes sake but I haven't had any issues yet.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not wanting to be too provocative and possibly a bit off thread, but is this not a sign of a new age problem where people are too reliant on email and text. What is wrong with a good old fashioned phone call( even modern smart phones still have this capability 😀) . It cuts out the ignoring excuse and stops back and forward messages that go round in circles.
Remember, it's good to talk

Exactly what I'm thinking, just had to check if anyone else wrote it.

"I emailed and texted ".
Absolutely no sympathy.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a challenge book in the locker room, the player who's top of the draw has to give 3 possible dates.
The dates offered must be over a 10 day period and must include 1 weekend day.

Usually people are flexible and leave their phone number, but there's always the odd d/head trying to pull a fast one.:(