PING. Not impressed at all

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So as I have previously mentioned another G max iron of mine has been away to have a weight refitted/ glued in. I sent it about 2 weeks before the OF/ WS meet. The Thursday before the meet I called into the club shop and the reply to my “ is it back,how long will it be“ was “ not long”. Now in my world, not long is not a time scale. So I called Ping who would not discuss my case but said “ the pro at my club can call and we can tell him, which he knows that anyway”. He never called.
Last Thursday I asked in the club shop if it is back, it was not and I was told ” it not be long now”. I once more called Ping and they told me it would be back the day after. It indeed turned up and the shop rang me to say it was ready for collection.
I called in today to pick it up and was told “ That’s £15”. I asked what for as its free repairs.It’s for Postage and package I was told. I explained this is at least the 3rd time but am sure it’s the 4th time Ave sent a club off and never been charged. “ well that’s what they charge us”. Bottom line I was seething. I told the lad in the shop to keep it and to tell the pro am not Impressed one bit. I came out of the shop and called Ping at Gainsboro. I told them the situation and once more they were reluctant to talk to me. I asked why am I being charged £15 P and P, bottom line and without saying in a straight manner. They don’t charge P and P. I had steam coming out of my ears.
suffice to say my round was rammel.
At the end of my round I am literally lobbing my clubs in the car and who walks by. The club pro. I asked him “ why am I being charged £15”. He replied because that what Ping charge us. I informed him that I had spoken to Ping and they had told me they charge nowt. He said “ he will waive the charge and pay it himself”. I told him I would be contacting Ping again, at which point he suggested “ don’t bother as they won’t tell you owt”.
Well on the way home I called again. I asked what’s going on re the charge. Again they would not kinda discuss my case but did say that “ should my clubs be old one day then they may charge for repair, but at the moment no and no charge for P and P”.
So I now have the situation that Ping tell me one thing in a round about way but without being direct, the club pro tells me something else. And I the customer is sat in the middle seething.
I don’t know whether it’s because after spending a small fortune on a driver, three wood, hybrid and Irons that Ping won’t talk straight to a customer that bogs me off.
Or a club pro that try’s to shaft me for £15.
Come what may, the next person who suggests supporting his local pro will not be getting a like off Tash.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Unusual to say the least. I've had stuff got to and from Ping via the Pro Shop and never been charged for p&p. In fact, last time I had trouble was years back with a set of i20s. Pro kicked off and got me a brand new set of the i25s to replace them. He got a bottle of Malt off me for his trouble. Wonder why the p&p was passed on to you?

Come what may, the next person who suggests supporting his local pro will not be getting a like off Tash.

...maybe that's "your local pro" - not mine... or some others. But, you are correct, I wouldn't expect to be charged to fix a silly fault. Wonder what is going on?

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sent some I25s back last year ( replacement weights) and the charge was £15.

I had expected some charge because the pro has the cost of returning them to Ping.

Not too worried because Ping actually did the weights without charge on a set of clubs that were well past the warranty date.

Reactions: AAC

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's should be no charge if the job was put through correctly between the pro and ping. The pro shop discus the problem with ping and they decide between them if its a free repair or not. There is also a case where they say "it should be free however, if we decide its not a club fault then £15 will need to be paid". Sounds like a cock up from your pro as missing weights is a known problem.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had to change a ping putter a couple of times for quality control reasons and it was done foc through my club pro (who I made the original purchase through). I've often thought that it would make me more likely to use the pro/ping sales channel in future if buying kit.
I guess we are all just comparing personal anecdotes at this point though...

wjemather

Visit site
Perhaps times have changed, but when I had my S59 irons, over the years five (out of eight) of them needed the inserts replacing. As it was/is a known (and common) problem, even after 8+ years, all were done by Ping through my pro FoC, no P&P.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
I've experienced it first hand and mentioned it before too.
It's a peculiar way of doing business that Ping have, considering the amazing reputation for customer service that I've read about.
They refuse to talk to the customer, even when it's clearly the right thing to do and would quickly and easily resolve a minor issue before it blows up.
When I need new clubs in 30 years, I may look at other manufacturers.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To be fair to Ping, and having never dealt with them, the customer is the Pro, not Tashy, so I can see why they won’t deal with Tashy. Also, the thread title is very misleading as the main culprit, as I see it is the Pro.
I am currently buying clubs via my Pro and no complaints, same as when I dealt with him before so to tar all Pros with the same brush is unfair

D

Deleted member 15344

Think the title isn’t very fair as the issue isn’t with Ping it’s with the Pro

Also all dealings should go via the Pro as that is who Ping deal with unless you have bought them direct from Ping themselves. You are not the customer of Ping - when buying a car and have issues do you go to the dealer or the manufacturer , you are the customer of the pro

Shouldnt really be going to Ping to play them off against each.

And also many club pros are very good to deal with - there is always the odd minority

Through it all there seems to be one issue - the cost of post and packaging

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think the thread title should be "Tashy's pro, not impressed at all"
Ping have done whats needed and free to you, so why is the blame aimed at them?

my pro is a Ping authorised dealer, they choose him. He is there point of contact salesperson. He gets commission from Ping for selling the clubs to me. As far as am concerned am not impressed with either Ping or my club pro.
Another thing, if I had bought irons and knew that I would be sending one a year back because it’s fell to bits. Do you think I would of bought them. Ping have done what’s needed and free? That’s the very least they should be doing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my pro is a Ping authorised dealer, they choose him. He is there point of contact salesperson. He gets commission from Ping for selling the clubs to me. As far as am concerned am not impressed with either Ping or my club pro.
Another thing, if I had bought irons and knew that I would be sending one a year back because it’s fell to bits. Do you think I would of bought them. Ping have done what’s needed and free? That’s the very least they should be doing.
Sorry Tashy, but your pro is the guilty party, not Ping. As for your irons "falling to bits", thats rather an exageration don't you think, and not really an honest appraisal of the issue.