Arnold Palmer Invitational 2019

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Level par for McIlroy so not a total meltdown although no doubt there will be those that either knock him or come on and make excuses. Some days you simply can't find that spark and for me that's his round all over. Really can't get anything going but not really doing much wrong either

The fact of the matter is, level par doesn’t cut it at this level. It seems to happen to him far too often from good positions. I’m a Rory fan as well and I’m willing every shot into the hole.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Molinari's -12 will be good enough. Superb final round of 64 with 8 birdies and no bogeys, a very worthy winner.

Wolf

Visit site
Well done Francesco shows sometimes posting early numbers is a good thing.

Rory flattering to do something again fter 3 rounds then the usual story with the 4th, I'm not a fan of his but still be good to see him put 4 rounds together.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great performance from Molinari and a pretty good effort from Fitzpatrick. Nice to see two relatively short hitters show how it can be done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The fact of the matter is, level par doesn’t cut it at this level. It seems to happen to him far too often from good positions. I’m a Rory fan as well and I’m willing every shot into the hole.
I agree that level par in the last round at these events is always going to see you drop down the leaderboard. I don't think Rory did too much wrong though other than hit a flat spot. Not his usual poor round where the ball can go anywhere off the tee and his putting is poor (compared to those around him). Simply couldn't find a spark. Disappointing after doing enough to lead after three rounds and to me he's still not really firing consistently on all cylinders across whole tournaments but not really doing a lot badly. Does bode well as the season kicks off fully and the majors come around

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory's record when in the final group in the last 2 years:

3rd to Scott (74) WGC-C **
1st (69) Irish**
2nd to Storm (68) SA
2nd to Li (70) DDC
5th to Reed (74) Masters
2nd to Molinari (70) BMW PGA
6th to JT (73)
Firestone 7th to Tiger (74)
TOUR 4th to X (72) ToC
2nd to DJ (67) WGC-M
6th to Moli (72) API

Broken 70 3 times when in the final round, converted to a win once. Rory's fantastic, and is playing some great golf right now but there's definitely a pattern developing when it comes to Rory's failure to convert Sunday opportunities to wins and think the criticism is absolutely justified.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great European leaderboard. Whilst Fitzpatrick didn't win yesterday he certainly didn't blow it, Molinari won it. That should do him and his bank account the power of good. A good showing by Matt Wallace as well. For the likes of Fitzpatrick and Wallace this tournament showed that they belong.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Great European leaderboard. Whilst Fitzpatrick didn't win yesterday he certainly didn't blow it, Molinari won it. That should do him and his bank account the power of good. A good showing by Matt Wallace as well. For the likes of Fitzpatrick and Wallace this tournament showed that they belong.
I think the truth is somewhere in between tbh. A great round by molinari to win it. But quite a few of the leaders blew it imo as all they needed to do was shoot a half decent score.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the truth is somewhere in between tbh. A great round by molinari to win it. But quite a few of the leaders blew it imo as all they needed to do was shoot a half decent score.
Scoreboard pressure is a big burden though. Always easier to come from behind with no expectations and build momentum, which is what Molinari did. Fitzpatrick was still under par for the day, I believe, and certainly did not cave.

I do get your point though.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was great to see a number of Europeans at the top of the leaderboard. Was very impressed with Matt Wallace last season and it looks like he has carried this on to PGA tour events.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Scoreboard pressure is a big burden though. Always easier to come from behind with no expectations and build momentum, which is what Molinari did. Fitzpatrick was still under par for the day, I believe, and certainly did not cave.

I do get your point though.
I accept there is pressure. I still think today both Fitz and Mcilroy will consider it chances blown.

Mahbe less so for Matt as he isn't quite so burdened with expectation as Rory.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The AP Inv 2019 marked the first PGA Tour event in which no Americans finished in the top-5 since the 2010 Open at St Andrews. Funny what can happen with a bit of thick rough, tight fairways and plenty of penalty areas.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Rory played the par 5's rank average.... long irons were poor last night.

Short game and putting looked very decent which is a good sign imo.

Molinari absolutely superb... New equipment and ball this week too!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
It's amazing the weight of expectation that is on Rorys shoulders from the viewing public; I would have loved him to have won, but overall he's on a pretty consistent run, and his 'worrying' trend has seen him finish in the top 6 again. But he's measured by a different yardstick it seems; Fitzpatrick hung in there but from leading the tournament and 5 strokes ahead of Molinari he's managed to lose by 2, yet (and I agree) he's had a great week. Fleetwood in round 3 failed to capitalise on his position as co-leader with a disastrous round; again he's had a great week. I'm not sure criticism at this tournament for McIlroy is justified - the course is hard, even with the height he hits the ball he couldn't get it stop late on in the day. To look at the tournament, specifically this tournament, as a tournament that Rory threw away is a disservice to Molinari and indeed Fitzpatrick, Wallace, Fleetwood and Bello. The guy went 8 under on the day, given that the winning score was 12 under, that's what needs to be celebrated and recognised, he won the tournament with a special final round.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's amazing the weight of expectation that is on Rorys shoulders from the viewing public; I would have loved him to have won, but overall he's on a pretty consistent run, and his 'worrying' trend has seen him finish in the top 6 again. But he's measured by a different yardstick it seems; Fitzpatrick hung in there but from leading the tournament and 5 strokes ahead of Molinari he's managed to lose by 2, yet (and I agree) he's had a great week. Fleetwood in round 3 failed to capitalise on his position as co-leader with a disastrous round; again he's had a great week. I'm not sure criticism at this tournament for McIlroy is justified - the course is hard, even with the height he hits the ball he couldn't get it stop late on in the day. To look at the tournament, specifically this tournament, as a tournament that Rory threw away is a disservice to Molinari and indeed Fitzpatrick, Wallace, Fleetwood and Bello. The guy went 8 under on the day, given that the winning score was 12 under, that's what needs to be celebrated and recognised, he won the tournament with a special final round.

Some good valid points especially your last one regarding a great winning round.
Fitzpatrick hasn’t been in great form so it will be interesting to see if that continues or it’s a one off.

I don’t think Rory can be effected by the public regarding pressure,unless he reads social media and he takes it to heart(that imo would be mentally weak.

When people tout Rory to be unbeatable when he’s on form,then say being in the top 6 regularly is good form is that not a contradiction.

There’s no doubt the final round pressure is getting to him,and the longer it goes that will only continue to grow.
Of course he will get over the line again and probably soon,however imo he is not that good where he can be clear favourite every weak.
Long gone are the days of Tiger winning regularly,it could easily be a different winner every week.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Excellent performance by Moli, shame that neither Mcilroy or Fitz could buy a putt. Not sure I liked the setup of 17 and 18, both flags seemed to be totally inaccessible, except with some career shot. There has to be an element of risk and reward, but I think both of those were too risk biased. One of the few players who could play the shot, Mcilroy, did have a go at 17, but even he couldn't get it close.