Your thoughts U.S. Open

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
we two greens at lee park, which, when baked, are a nightmare to hold with false fronts and run offs. these greens at Pinehurst would even have a certain P.Hurst pulling his hair out. they look frightening!

been some great short game stuff on show! a few horror shows too. fantastic! :D

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks- just been a clip on Sky describing how and why they made these changes

Worth the trip? Yes to be able to say you have played Pinehurst.
However the resort hotel is rather (!!) overpriced- we were told that staying there was the only way we could access the courses.
We subsequently found that a better option would have been to rent a condo /villa in one of the Pinehurst communities, some of which come with course privileges.
We also played a couple of other non pinehurst nearby courses, Legacy and Little River

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Looking at the leaderboard on te PGA website there don't appear to be many players under par for the day, has it been set up tough today?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whoever wins, currently it's Kaymers to lose after to 2 really brilliant 65's, tougher test set these last two rounds so it's not won yet by a long way, but if Kaymer can shoot par he'll still be in the driving seat. But it's goin to have been the best U.S.Open (with respect to The Open) for some time on a truly great course that's been fantastically restored to the sand hill state of NC, back to Donald Ross's original concept although as he lived there & he tinkered with it for some years.
Good to see the 'wastelands' & bunkers & run-offs back & the lottery of the 'too thick' greenside rough gone, great job by Coore & Crenshaw for sure.
The 8 courses should be on anyone's 'bucket list' for sure too.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks- just been a clip on Sky describing how and why they made these changes

Worth the trip? Yes to be able to say you have played Pinehurst.
However the resort hotel is rather (!!) overpriced- we were told that staying there was the only way we could access the courses.
We subsequently found that a better option would have been to rent a condo /villa in one of the Pinehurst communities, some of which come with course privileges.
We also played a couple of other non pinehurst nearby courses, Legacy and Little River

Thanks yourself, won't be this year, might look into it for next.

Whoever wins, currently it's Kaymers to lose after to 2 really brilliant 65's, tougher test set these last two rounds so it's not won yet by a long way, but if Kaymer can shoot par he'll still be in the driving seat. But it's goin to have been the best U.S.Open (with respect to The Open) for some time on a truly great course that's been fantastically restored to the sand hill state of NC, back to Donald Ross's original concept although as he lived there & he tinkered with it for some years.
Good to see the 'wastelands' & bunkers & run-offs back & the lottery of the 'too thick' greenside rough gone, great job by Coore & Crenshaw for sure.
The 8 courses should be on anyone's 'bucket list' for sure too.

8 courses? I'll do well to get two past the management! :eek: I take it No. 2 is top of the heap, in what order would you rate the others?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know im going to get some stick for this but i think the course looks like a goat track. I appreciate they brought the course back to how it was but imo it looked better in 2005

D

Deleted member 15344

It looks natural - how golf should be and not on manicured grass

It's long and it's tough - great test of golf

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It looks natural - how golf should be and not on manicured grass

It's long and it's tough - great test of golf

I can't argue about it being a good test of golf and im thoroughly enjoying the coverage. Suppose im a bit of a tart and like the manicure look.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The course looks great imo just how i would like it to look if i designed it. That cross between links and parkland with a bit of heathland look thrown in.

I prefer that wasteland instead of knee deep jungle as well.

Mind you i am a fan of all types of golf courses so the mix probably appeals to me more than it would to other people :D

V

vkurup

While I love Kaymer's performance... for some reason I would love to se Brendon de Jung win this one and stick it to the USGA guys for the 'insult'

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cant be many golf tournies where the leader shoots +2 in round 3 and improves his chances of winning! Birdie at the last massive (as was Stensons missed par putt I feel)