Your thoughts U.S. Open

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best chip and putter will win as its not the usual US Open with long rough ......................EYG

D

Deleted member 15344

Best chip and putter will win as its not the usual US Open with long rough ......................EYG

And that's Luke Donald who is prob about 12 shots behind the leader ?

D

Deleted member 15344

He is quite good around the greens , Luke is going through a swing change , like westwood they should have won in thier best years

Kaymers tee shots and iron play has been out of this world - he has been supreme and but the ball in the right place on the green - that's what has him miles away !

mat100p

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really looking forward to it - I'm going to have a trip to Pinehurst in a couple of years, it's the only course I really am desperate to play outside Scotland.

I'd love Rory or GMac to win it - but it would be fitting if Phil got his US Open here

[video=youtube_share;rRvtokc4Z1U]http://youtu.be/rRvtokc4Z1U[/video]

Hi all great picture above of Payne and Phil i to was very moved watching the Payne Stewart special on sky i found it fascinating. Reminded me of the good old days when we had some characters in golf. Could you imagine now todays prima donnas turning up on first tee in last round of the us open with waterproofs cut off at the arms. (I KNOW SLEEVELESS WATERPROOFS HADN'T BEEN THOUGHT OF IN 1999) I am just highlighting the difference in todays pampered,bland pro's.

Personally i was buzzing for this years us open particularly after watching all the official films of past years but found it so far a little dull i hope Kaymer goes on to win german precison at it's best but could make for a boring weekend.

i was hoping for the biggest character left in golf to win but lefty is not looking to hot at the min.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kaymer just hasn't made any mistakes. If he has another day like today tomorrow and he could have an even bigger lead which would surely be unassailable. He has it on a string right now

Much better than that Homer, that is doing him a disservice imo.

He has taken the place apart.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Kaymer just hasn't made any mistakes. If he has another day like today tomorrow and he could have an even bigger lead which would surely be unassailable. He has it on a string right now

He is playing out of this world - as good as McIlroy was in 2011

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is it just me that thinks the course is looking a bit scruffy?
The greens are immaculate and the bunkers look fine, but the fairways are patchy and there are a lot of think looking areas.

I was lucky enough to play Pinehurst #2 a few years ago and my photos look nothing like this.
Could this be due to the really bad weather they had in Feb?

According to commentary, 100's of sprinklers have been disabled as a deliberate ploy to reward hitting the middle of the fairway.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Much better than that Homer, that is doing him a disservice imo.

He has taken the place apart.

i dont think its it's a disservice. If you look at his birdie count (11) only he would be one ahead of Snedeker and 2 ahead of Keegan Bradley. There's then a big bunch at 7 and 8. The big difference is that he's only dropped one shot so far.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
What was that for I've just turned it on

Wayman - he was chipping up on to a green and he saw the ball move when he was addressing it. He was on a bit of a slope so pressing his club into the turf probably caused it to come down the slope slightly. No one else saw it moved but he called it.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
i dont think its it's a disservice. If you look at his birdie count (11) only he would be one ahead of Snedeker and 2 ahead of Keegan Bradley. There's then a big bunch at 7 and 8. The big difference is that he's only dropped one shot so far.

Golf is not just measured in birdies though is it? Look at how many times he has hit the fairway and the greens. Consistently hitting your target shot after shot after shot is super high quality and you only have to look how far behind the rest of the field is to realise how well he has played.

Being great at golf is doing all aspects of the game well which is exactly what he is doing.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Golf is not just measured in birdies though is it? Look at how many times he has hit the fairway and the greens. Consistently hitting your target shot after shot after shot is super high quality and you only have to look how far behind the rest of the field is to realise how well he has played.

Being great at golf is doing all aspects of the game well which is exactly what he is doing.

The US Open, and Pinehurst in particular with its 'turtle back' greens is all about putting it in the right areas and keeping the bogeys off the card. This is what Kaymer has done so well and is what a Homer was pointing out.

its been fantastic to watch.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst 6 or 8 shots over 36 holes in a US Open can be made up, as long as Kaymer doesn't fall apart (and as he has a major under his belt and has won the Players already this year that seems unlikely) we will need something very special from Johnson, Bradley, Snedecker or McIlroy. Can they muster up a 64 or a 65 between them?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The greens are immaculate and the bunkers look fine, but the fairways are patchy and there are a lot of think looking areas.

I was lucky enough to play Pinehurst #2 a few years ago and my photos look nothing like this.

North Mimms, these might explain why;

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/6/10/5780332/us-open-golf-2014-pinehurst-redesign-changes

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/06/09/pinehurst-restoration-ben-crenshaw-bill-coore.html

Worth the trip? I​t's on my bucket list……..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The majority of "good" rounds are 68/69 on that course.
If Kaymer shoots level for the last 2 rounds he'll win it.
Obviously anything can happen but there will be pretty long odds on anyone else winning.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

It's deliberate

“Golf was meant to be played in nature—not in a pristine garden.” – Bill Coore

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site