Arnold Palmer Invitational 2019

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
API scheduled for this week and for me this is the true start of the PGA Tour season. The Arnold Invitational is followed by the Players, and then we're just a couple of weeks away from The Masters with the Matchplay in-between. Always love this tournament as well for the dedications to Arnold, the big brands always release some really cool Arnold themed gear (Puma always smash it) and last year we saw Rory card a ridiculously impressive final round 64 to win.

Should be a great week, always gets a stacked field, but this year we'll be missing one name - Tiger Woods. Announced today he's been suffering with a neck strain the past few weeks (the back is fine apparently) and has been forced to pull out. Sucks, as it's always fun watching Tiger at Bay Hill, but if it means he'll be fully fit for the Players, the Matchplay and ultimately The Masters it's worth missing him this week.

Wolf

Visit site
Love the API, really like the look of bay hill as a course so hopefully we get some good golf this week. As for Tiger it does make me laugh the hate he gets yet it is him that's elevated the game to pretty much where we're at now and his ball striking is phenomenonal.

I'd like to have seen him playing this week but will still enjoy the event anyway.

D

Deleted member 15344

It was a great watch last year when Rose , Rory , Stenson and DeChambeau went at it - some brilliant shots and Rory’s back 9 was brilliant

Woods had a cracking round until that tee shot on the par 5 - but the viewing is more balance when he isn’t playing which imo is good

Hope to see Rory defend the title he won so well last year

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Love the API, really like the look of bay hill as a course so hopefully we get some good golf this week. As for Tiger it does make me laugh the hate he gets yet it is him that's elevated the game to pretty much where we're at now and his ball striking is phenomenonal.

I'd like to have seen him playing this week but will still enjoy the event anyway.
I definitely don’t hate Tiger

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Viewing won't be balanced as the TV companies will just show wall to wall McIlroy instead. I think its a shame Woods is out and he's definitely showing signs that he can win again and I understand protecting himself with the Masters just around the corner. I imagine Rose will go back to #1 this week, especially given his good record around Bay Hill. One of the PGA events I really look forward to and with the Players and the Masters coming quickly the golf season really feels like its starting

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm clearly in the minority, but I don't mind wall to wall coverage of Tiger or Rory, or any of the 'top' guys. I've watched coverage when those guys, (with the exception of Tiger I must admit) where I've tuned in specifically, in my case, to see how Rory is getting on, got no coverage as he hasn't been doing well or not affecting the leaderboard. Last weekend, I had an interest in Vijays final round and in Rickie's /Thomas's charge, but I wasn't really too bothered about the eventual winner; same with JB Holmes a few weeks ago. My viewing pleasure is increased when I see the guys I want to see; I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea (some people must like Holmes and Cantlay?), and some people really dislike Rory and Tiger, but they move the dial for an American audience. It appears the most liked guys are also the most disliked (Rory, Tiger, Phil, DJ etc.). There's guys who no-one dislikes, but they are not loved. Rose, for example, is one. I like him, but he's not the reason I'd stay glued to the screen for hours.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I want to watch those in the hunt to win it, how they handle the pressure etc and also the best play of the day, even if they're out of the running, just my opinion. If that's McIlroy, Woods or whoever, great.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to disagree with the wall to wall mcilroy comments. TV wise hes not in the same league as tiger. If rory is not at the top of the leaderboard you wont see him on TV.
Im saying this as a Rory fan who gets frustrated not seeing all his shots.
Fingers cross he will do more than his standard "never in contention top5" that seems to have become the norm of late

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice start for Rory. Superb iron into 2 but left himself a 8.5ft horrible putt, and just hit it nice and close on 3 after a massive drive.