Are golf magazines still relevant ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
From my skewed perspective again, one good thing about hard copies is that some of them stay around as historical documents.

How much of today's on-line content will be available in 30 or 40 years time?
If some of it was around, would you trust that it still says exactly what it said when first written, or has some of it been cut/edited/airbrushed?

As we become more and more reliant on on-line pages I worry about the future availability of accurate historical documents, electronic stuff is too easily deleted once it's lost it's immediacy and too easy to "amend".

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting to see some of the old subjects have not changed much at all over the years.

I think a great subject that is not often covered, and that people don't have a great knowledge about, is golf course design / architecture.

Big issue with this is that there is not much demand for any new courses to be built and the courses that are there don't have the money for a refurb or re-design.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
I have over the years subscribed to GM on and off , but i think due to the instruction repetition and in some instances condradictions ( i remember seeing in one GM mag two coaches advocating different methods for playing the same greenside chip) i no longer bother.
Whilst subs is obviously cheaper, i was finding that some months there was not much in the mag that i was wanting to read - same with my sub to Classic Rock mag.
What i tend to do now is buy the odd mag off Ebay for circa £2 if it appears to have a few articles that interest me - am not bothered that the content is a couple of months out of date.
Rich

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi
I have over the years subscribed to GM on and off , but i think due to the instruction repetition and in some instances condradictions ( i remember seeing in one GM mag two coaches advocating different methods for playing the same greenside chip) i no longer bother.
Whilst subs is obviously cheaper, i was finding that some months there was not much in the mag that i was wanting to read - same with my sub to Classic Rock mag.
What i tend to do now is buy the odd mag off Ebay for circa £2 if it appears to have a few articles that interest me - am not bothered that the content is a couple of months out of date.
Rich

Umm is that not because there are different ways to chip and there isn’t a “one way only” method - so you will have two coaches teaching a different way so it’s then trial and error to see which one suits you

dronfield

Visit site
Umm is that not because there are different ways to chip and there isn’t a “one way only” method - so you will have two coaches teaching a different way so it’s then trial and error to see which one suits you

Agree, though would question the merit of having both in the same mag? At the British Masters Sky had Luke Donald giving a short game clininc - they didnt then bring on another pro teaching a method that was the opposite of Donald's.

Rich

D

Deleted member 18588

Do I enjoy reading the occasional magazine or newspaper? Yes I do.

Would I invest in the long term future of traditional publishing houses? Definitely not!

Sales of print have been falling for years and competition for advertising budgets continues to grow; not a recipe for success.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have no allegiance to any mag and dont get paid for my comments. But am on holiday in the far east and bought two golf mags. Golf monthly is excellent compared to the other mag i bought. I could of spent that money better in the back streets of Bangkok.
Mind am still waiting for me dozen premium balls off mike for the photo i sent him of me at sheringham when he wanted photos on the Algarve. So picky these GM guys.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
My wife will buy the radio times again this Xmas, but thats it on the printed media front. We should all be doing all we can to reduce our carbon footprint and moving from print to online . Otherwise our grandchildren wont have any golf courses left to play on.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stopped subscribing to golf magazines about 3 years ago. Got fed up of the repetitive content.

I used to subscribe to and read a lot of magazines but now I subscribe to an app called Readly. It's £7.99 a month and I can pretty much read any magazine I want. Including GM, TG and most other golf mags. I can read them from my PC, phone or tablet and can download them and read them anywhere.

Saves me an absolute fortune.

I still read the golf mags on Readly but just quickly flick through and read what jumps out at me as interesting.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There's enough online content out there to read plenty of interest. Both the European Tour and USPGA websites are excellent, and pretty much all the mags put enough content online. As for the tuition pieces, again, through the likes of YouTube there's plenty to top quality content.

However, there's a the pieces in the run up to the Open, Masters and the top 100 courses that I like a hard copy of.

Are they still relevant? There's a place for them, which diminishes as the demographic changes, but will they be there in 10 years time?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Used to used my Tesco Clubcard vouchers for Golf Monthly which was OK.

I now have a Looyds Bank Account from which I receive Today’s Golfer for free so I have stopped my subs to GM.

Hope Mike H or somebody from GM Towers will manage a response although the last time I saw something on twiier poor old Jez E had to be up at 4a.m. as he had a golf trip to Portugal. What a hard life!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree, though would question the merit of having both in the same mag? At the British Masters Sky had Luke Donald giving a short game clininc - they didnt then bring on another pro teaching a method that was the opposite of Donald's.

Rich

But I bet even Donald would advocate trying different methods and admit there is more than one way to get the job done. There will always be repetition in instruction whether that's online or in print. For me as long as the articles are interesting and relevant I'm happy

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
But I bet even Donald would advocate trying different methods and admit there is more than one way to get the job done. There will always be repetition in instruction whether that's online or in print. For me as long as the articles are interesting and relevant I'm happy

Which they usually are not.

You get far better content and far better discussion on line plus the reviews are more honest.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The reality is that print press is limited and online is the opposite. Often not only can consumers discuss the points written online but the writer can respond to questions and critique. For me the value of this extension to discourse outweighs printed press by the hundreds.

Printed press may well have a place at the moment, but its like many other things in life......its days are numbered. I doubt anyone questions this. Only the number is in question. Advertisers are the bloodline of press, be it cyber or printed. Have a look at some of the big advertising companies and see where they are leading their business. It's as obvious as the nose on your face

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The repetition is pretty much the same with every hobbiest magazine tho. There's only so much news and so many new products in a year. All of the rest doesn't really change that much. Doesn't matter whether it's golf, cars, photography, tropical fish or knitting. All of the technique and advice stuff will end up being repeated on a pretty much annual basis.

There's a few magazines that I've subscribed to in the past, including GM. I tend to subscribe for a year or two, then give it a miss for two or three years, then start again.