Shaft experts and gear heads

Mcleodc2000

Club Champion
Visit site
Cool yeah I'd agree generous as some definitely were not good hits.... I take it the distance would still be fairly accurate given all of the other information it records: back and side spin, launch etc?

Yeah- essentially it is recordid what happens with the ball and ignoring the club- therfore the ball data will be correct, but the club data could be skewed. If you imagine you're getting ball speeds of 145mph, that'd give you a clubhead speed of 100mph on the nose (145/1.45), but if your smash factor was to drop to, say, 1.4, then your true clubhead speed for that ball speed would be 103.6 (145/1.4).

Clubhead speed is a funny thing, as different systems measure it in different ways (it also varies depending on where on the club the measurement is taken from). At the end of the day, the ball data is what really matters, so don't worry too much about clubhead speed!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's the HMT part of the LM that measures what the club is doing, all GC2 does is measure the ball.

So if no HMT was present, GC2 'assumes' a smash factor of 1.45 in order to give a club speed, because the only speed it actually measures is the ball.

Edit: beaten to it :)

From what I know, Azimuth is the ball's starting direction relative to target, so 0 is at target, -ve left and +ve right. Obviously that figure is only any use if you're aiming where GC2 thinks you're aiming.

That makes sense as the 95 Clubhead speed is a little bit below where I have been on trackman recently- usually about 100-102 but ball speed would come off less with a crappy SF eh?

So if Azimuth is direction then negative means starting left of assumed target and positive starting right. They are within a degree either side of 0 so I don't think it's something I will get too bogged down with at the moment.

one problem you've touched on of GC2 is if it's not exactly aligned the target can be off... The new GCquad comes with a reflective alignment stick to combat this I believe.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That makes sense as the 95 Clubhead speed is a little bit below where I have been on trackman recently- usually about 100-102 but ball speed would come off less with a crappy SF eh?

Yes, great ball contact (assuming a square clubface) might over-read club speed and bad contact will under-read it.

one problem you've touched on of GC2 is if it's not exactly aligned the target can be off... The new GCquad comes with a reflective alignment stick to combat this I believe.

I thought the GC2 had something you could hold an alignment stick in to set the target line. I might have made that up in my head from reading something else though.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
MyHermes not coming until Tuesday now with the Phenom and RIP so will need to wait until then :angry:... got the Aldila Rogue silver in though and due to play today and tomorrow so not sure whether to test that or V2 for an on course spin.

Mcleodc2000

Club Champion
Visit site
MyHermes not coming until Tuesday now with the Phenom and RIP so will need to wait until then :angry:... got the Aldila Rogue silver in though and due to play today and tomorrow so not sure whether to test that or V2 for an on course spin.

Sensible thing would probably be to use the V2 since you seemed to get reasonable results with it, and are somewhat familiarised with it. In my opinion though, the rogue silver is a cracking shaft!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only got to play once at the weekend and used rogue silver for 9 holes and v2 for 9 holes. Again in terms of distance the whippier feeling rogue silver seemed to go further but also felt less controllable. I actually wasn't swinging all that great on the day so can't read into it too much.

Also got aldila RIP and phenom delivered today... didn't get the chance to get on a LM so went to our practice area for half an hour and both felt great so can't wait to see the numbers.

Bad hits were still heel strikes so that's all me rather than shaft but I may start doing stats on my ball striking with each at some point too in addition to the lessons.

A good video I watched recently was James pickard on buzzas channel talking about project x hzrdus shafts and what he says is that in terms of numbers you might not find a huge difference but the biggest difference is feel and I'm kinda recognising that though there's no doubt if you go from one extreme to another the spin numbers etc probably will be pretty big (I think).

One things for certain once I have the best feeling shafts I'm gonna keep testing as don't want to knee jerk sell anything while I'm also having lessons and trying to change my swing.

Right now I'll hazard a guess tho the aldila rogue silver, max and fujikura won't be in the bag come mid season

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tested 3 new shafts on GC2 yesterday and to be honest was totally underwhelmed but if I am being brutally honest it's nothing to do with the shafts it's my swing- still too close to heel strikes which I'm getting the feeling is going to be a long draw out process of lessons before I become more consistent- Got a lesson tomorrow so going to ask for pro's expert advice.

One thing I would say about my testing is I think I need to notch down the amount of swings I am doing in the 30 minute booking as by the end of it I think I've lost power from swinging hard so much. Maybe going to change to 6 swings with a breather and proper PSR in between each swing then pick best 3 from that.

From the results:

started with Phenom and the contact and swing felt great which I thought it would after swinging it lovely on Wednesday night outdoors but the numbers were not great- the spin was higher than the others at 3411 over 10 shots and 2885 over 5 best. Not sure if to do with much heavier shaft than the others at 73g or it being a mid launch profile but a strange one as it still felt great off the face. Carry average 216y (235total) over 10 shots and 227y (247t) over 5 best.

second test shaft was Aldila Rogue silver which when I am swinging at a good tempo feels great but when I am not feels hard to control... a bit like the rogue Max it feels powerful when loaded correctly and in terms of total distance on a great hit it's between these 2- just a control issue for me though I'd lean towards this than the Max. spin numbers not too bad at 2989 over 10 then 2679 over 5 best. probably a notch lower launch than I'd want at 12.2 degrees(best 5) and peak height of 28 yard. Could put my loft up to 9.5 to see what happens but would also need to see what happens to spin when I do that. One thing about the low launch though is my track can be very windy so could be desirable flight in those conditions.

Last test was RIP red eyes and was the most disappointing as felt great on Wednesday night yet didn't feel great on LM but by this point felt exhausted so next time I test I am going to start with. ball speed was coming out really low compared to all the others which being the lightest shaft at 63g I was most gutted at but was either due to poor SF or tiredness of which I'm not sure. It also launched well higher than the others which was surprising given the profile is low launch.

I did do a comparison test with the V2 at the end and my ball speed had dropped which suggests I wasn't swinging optimally.

Lesson tomorrow then will look to retest all shafts again next week and see where I am and also good to see if results comparable. Definitely going to stick to 2 shafts per test though.

Attachments

• test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 18

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So managed to get my hands on a project X Hzrdus black shaft (after saying I wasn't gonna spend big on newer shafts) and on 1st few hits on range I was a bit underwhelmed then got onto the GC2 today and the numbers showed why it's a good shaft... I retested against the V2 which is my favourite at the moment and although there wasn't a ton of difference between the 2 I'm getting a bit of a marginal gain on this 1st test... also retested Aldila RIP Red eyes and think I am ready to let go so if anyone is interested can put on FS section soon.

Attachments

• test3.jpg
    test3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 20

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can anyone recommend any sub 60g shafts with low torque to try? Either stiff or x stiff profile?

I use a matrix white tie 5x3 i think its called, high launch low spin. 58g

a mate has a recoil something or other thats 50 and another has a hazardous 55/50g.

those might be worth a try