Wanted! Golfers to take part in research groups

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi all

We are looking for regular readers (either subscribers or newsstand buyers) of Golf Monthly and/or Today's Golfer to take part in some research focus groups on golf magazines.

The research sessions will take place at Burhill Golf Club near Weybridge (http://www.burhillgolf-club.co.uk/) on Monday September 5th and Tuesday September 6th. There are two sessions per day, one starting at 10.00am and the other 2.30pm and they will last last for around 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

If selected you will be sent a copy of a recent issues of both Golf Monthly and Today's Golfer that you will be required to read in depth before the day

On the day you will have the opportunity to play a free courtesy round of golf (with the other research participants) at Burhill (course TBC) before or after your research session (tee times are 9.00am for those taking part in the afternoon session and and 2.00pm for those taking part in the morning session) and you will also receive a TaylorMade goody bag with over £50 of gear including a dozen premium golf balls. If you are unable to play golf on the day you will receive a voucher for a round of golf at a later date

Refreshments during the sessions will be provided but transport to and from Burhill and any other incidentals during the day such as lunch are at your own expense

To apply to take part in the research sessions please send me an email to michael.harris@timeinc.com with 'Golfer Research' in the subject line and the following information

Name
Golf Monthly Forum name (if applicable)
Date of Birth
Contact telephone number
Handicap

Do you subscribe to Golf Monthly?

Do you subscribe to Today's Golfer?

Do you buy Golf Monthly from newsstand (i.e. Supermarket, newsagents)
If so how many copies have you bought in the last year
When did you purchase the most recent issue of Golf Monthly

Do you buy Today's Golfer from newsstand (i.e. Supermarket, newsagents)
If so how many copies have you bought in the last year
When did you purchase the most recent issue of Today's Golfer

Preferred session to attend (please indicate 1st and 2nd choices and if applicable 3rd and 4th too!)

Monday September 5th 10.00am
Monday September 5th 2.30pm
Tuesday September 6th 10.00am
Tuesday September 6th 2.30pm

Happy to answer any queries about the sessions /logisitcs on this thread (or you can email me) but please refrain from making general comments, taking the discussion off topic etc! Posts that take the discussion off topic will be removed to keep the thread clean. Thanks

Last edited:

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi all
these sessions are filling up quite quickly with a good forum presence but there is still time to put yourself forward if you fancy it
should be a good day with the golf (and goody bag!) and a chance to share your views on golf magazine content
thanks
Mike

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I would love (as I subscribe to both) to but yet again Golf Monthly show a blatant disregard for the majority of the country by arranging these types of jaunts in or near London and the south of England. A 4-hour each-way drive immediately rules me out of taking part in these events, and it must be much worse for those living in Scotland & Ireland. I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription, as it seems that GM does not care a jot about the majority of it's subscribers.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would love (as I subscribe to both) to but yet again Golf Monthly show a blatant disregard for the majority of the country by arranging these types of jaunts in or near London and the south of England. A 4-hour each-way drive immediately rules me out of taking part in these events, and it must be much worse for those living in Scotland & Ireland. I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription, as it seems that GM does not care a jot about the majority of it's subscribers.

Guess where the last GM opportunity was - hint it's a country above Hadrians wall

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Surly you subscribe to the magazine in order to get it cheaper not just because there is a possibility that you might get free stuff on the forum? So buy giving you the option to get the magazine cheaper GM are caring about those that wish to subscribe!

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Guess where the last GM opportunity was - hint it's a country above Hadrians wall

really? Which one was that then. It certainly wasn't the Footjoy or Mizuno ones, which are the last two I remember. And in fact if there was one in Scotland, then very good, but that stil discounts all of the North of England, and indeed Ireland. Has there ever been one in Ireland, or within a reasonable distance of Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool, that would enable anybody living in the north to even consider applying?

D

Deleted member 15344

really? Which one was that then. It certainly wasn't the Footjoy or Mizuno ones, which are the last two I remember. And in fact if there was one in Scotland, then very good, but that stil discounts all of the North of England, and indeed Ireland. Has there ever been one in Ireland, or within a reasonable distance of Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool, that would enable anybody living in the north to even consider applying?
To be a guests at The Open

I'm sure the GM staff will come along and explain things

Oh and there was a opportunity to play RCD with Galvin Green testing I believe

What you must remember is GM are based in London and they are always dictated by the manufacterers themselves

Also these opportunities are free - they could just not put them on for anyone

But to complain because they don't suit you and threatening to cancel your subscription is childish

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

The Paul Lawrie matchplay at Archersfield

GM is based in London so it means that the majority of their events will be on their 'home turf'

Leeds to the London area is not a massive trek. If you wanted in, you would make the effort to drive down, play, and drive back.

Put your big boy pants on and have a word with youself

D

Deleted member 16999

Ever wondered why Mike locks these posts?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I appreciate that the majority of these opportunities are dictated by the sponsors, but this particular one seems to be the magazine wanting feedback from subscribers, presumably in order to improve their offering, so it strikes me as strange that they chose a location that excludes the majority of the country. I would have thought that they would have wanted a greater cross section of their readership.

As for London not being a massive trek from Leeds, I don't consider an 8-hour round trip not a massive trek

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I appreciate that the majority of these opportunities are dictated by the sponsors, but this particular one seems to be the magazine wanting feedback from subscribers, presumably in order to improve their offering, so it strikes me as strange that they chose a location that excludes the majority of the country. I would have thought that they would have wanted a greater cross section of their readership.

As for London not being a massive trek from Leeds, I don't consider an 8-hour round trip not a massive trek

sorry you feel excluded Slowhand

The researchers who run the sessions for us - and they do many of these focus group across all the Time Inc brands each year - say that is that there is almost zero regional variation in the type of feedback we get from these sessions

Given that we chose a location based on the fact our offices are in Hampshire, the researchers are based here and live in the SE so to make it easier for them and to help keep our costs down (travel/hotels/subsistence)

we are already having to invest a lot towards venue hire, a contribution to 32 green fees and the goody bags that are worth over £50 each - we do get good deals on all of these but we don't get everything for free by any stretch of the imagination

I do of course appreciate that even for a free game of golf at an £80 course and £50 goody bag folk will have to weigh up the time/cost it takes to get somewhere for an opportunity. That said, I'm often blown away by how far some forumers are prepared to travel for an opportunity!

There was certainly no sleight intended on our readers/subscribers who live outside of the SE. Apologies to anyone who has been offended by the selected location.

Where possible we try to on opportunities around the country but its normally dictated by the brands we are working with and with so many of them also based in the SE that's where the majority tend to be

This year we have managed to get opportunities in Wales, Scotland, Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire

Hopefully we can put on a reader opportunity close to you at some point in the future

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your response Mike. Please don't take my comments as a slight on the magazine. I was just frustrated that there never seems to be an opportunity close enough for myself and others perhaps in a similar situation (work and family obligations meaning we can't travel far for such opportunities). I appreciate that you are limited by sponsor criteria, budget and staff factors. I really do enjoy reading the magazine, and my "threat" to cancel my subscription was just an ill-judged venting. Apologies to those I seem to have offended. Rest assured if there is ever a similar opportunity in my locale I will be the first to sign up

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Thanks for your response Mike. Please don't take my comments as a slight on the magazine. I was just frustrated that there never seems to be an opportunity close enough for myself and others perhaps in a similar situation (work and family obligations meaning we can't travel far for such opportunities). I appreciate that you are limited by sponsor criteria, budget and staff factors. I really do enjoy reading the magazine, and my "threat" to cancel my subscription was just an ill-judged venting. Apologies to those I seem to have offended. Rest assured if there is ever a similar opportunity in my locale I will be the first to sign up

thanks slowhand :thup:

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi all
all the sessions are now FULL
thanks to those who put yourself forward - good few forumers have made 'the cut'!