Are clubs getting any younger players

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Went to our pit reunion on Friday and was catching up with loads of lads. Had a conversation with a lad who I know quite well and the conversation got round to golf. In essence he asked me to Join Sherwood. I had pulled his leg about the £299 fee til April and all the hackers ripping up his course. In essence he was massively against it, but he has seen some of the lads who have joined and said " they are proper lads". He mentioned that he hopes most of them stay around.
20 minutes later I was talking to another lad who plays at Worksop, he now loves it there even more. Said quote " there's some good" lads joined. I asked what about the old Skool members, he mentioned that the club is getting more and more lads joining and the old Skool stuffiness in still there but a lot more diluted.
I then got talking to the guy at Sherwood again and he said it still has its traditions but the younger guys coming in are giving the club a modern feel.
They are both buzzing about there clubs mainly because of younger players joining.

Are any other clubs getting this coz last I heard the game was struggling for younger players.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you say younger players, what do you actually mean? By most golf clubs standards, a younger player is anyone under the age of 55!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club is one of the cheapest around as it's only £100 a year (and you pay your green fees and comp entries on top, only around £20 + £3 usually). I wouldn't say we have loads of young members though. Me and my mate who joined together maybe count as 'younger' members as I'm 31 and he's 28 or 29. Another two of our mates of similar age might be joining next year. Two of the best members at the club (4-5 hcap) are in their twenties, but usually when we play with other members they will be older than us more often than not.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I joined my club 2 years ago I was the younger lot. I'm now 30. There are 4 of us between 26 - 32, 2 young guys (early 20's) playing there off very low handicaps indeed - I've not played with anyone under 40 who I don't know.

I was told by a member that a young guy has joined and is quite good, he'll be giving us younguns a run for our money. Apparently.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is noticeable that on our 9 hole course we are getting a lot of younger players on a pay and play basis and some of these are 'migrating' to membership.

It is hard as a new player to 'get in' on a Saturday morning because of all the well established swindles, some of which consider themselves as 'too full' to allow additional players.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had quite a lot of success attracting young blood through our junior section over the years. The other way has been the targeting of family's, our pro also runs Get into Golf sessions for anyone on a regular basis. He also great at putting on fun sessions for little ones from 5yrs of age.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When you say younger players, what do you actually mean? By most golf clubs standards, a younger player is anyone under the age of 55!

Flippin Eck, ave got three months left as a young un then. Non of the guys I spoke to said exactly what Young is. But one of the lads is 56 and the other 48 so anything under that age.