Anyone tried rocking a three driver rig ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know Phil went bi-driver for a while years back, but thinking it could be a route more useful to us middle hcappers.
Not really playing the fairway woods from the fairway any more, but need 19X and 210 is lengths from the tee to allow for many holes chez moi where you run out of room or into hazards with the big dog too easily.
So SLDR driver keeps its place in the starting team for when its full pump. But thinking of binning the 3fw and 5fw for a 14deg 460cc weapon, and a mini driver 16deg (maybe cut an inch off it to curtail any encroaching on the 14deg).
Advantage - bigger heads, more fargiveness in both cases than the switched out little fw heads.
Browsing golfbidder for candidates for job.
Anyone tried this strategy? Logic seem sound?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I've got a Taylormade Aeroburner mini driver 14 degree, it's great off the tee, but it's not much longer than my Ping G20 3 wood.
It's also very difficult to get airborne off the deck.
The Ping G20 3 wood is a doddle to hit off the tee & the fairway, just as long & more versatile.

IJames

Visit site
Daft idea imo! Fairway Woods aren't just for fairways! The big-head advantage of driver for tee shots is, prety much, a disadvantage if trying to hit it off the deck - at least compared to FWs!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I've got a Taylormade Aeroburner mini driver 14 degree, it's great off the tee, but it's not much longer than my Ping G20 3 wood.
It's also very difficult to get airborne off the deck.
The Ping G20 3 wood is a doddle to hit off the tee & the fairway, just as long & more versatile.
My taylormade m2 3w is 16.5° 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're always telling us all drivers are the same so why do you need three of them? :p

There's a chap at my club who carries two drivers - one has more distance and the other has more accuracy (but presumably less distance) so he chooses based on the hole requirements. I feel like three drivers really would be wasting spots in your bag though. I do believe that driver is easier to hit from the tee than fairway woods - but you pretty much kill your chances of hitting anything off the deck.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last time I played links I brought 2 drivers with me.

9.5 Taylormade m3 and titlesit 915 7.5 degree.

If I didn't need to carry anything or go over a hill I hit the 7.5

Little bit of height I hit my normal driver. I can happily drop my 5 iron for this set up and will try it again.

It's too wet to see if I can get an benefit from this on my home course.

Re: backsticks set up. I'd really miss my woods. I really don't like deep faced mini drivers off the deck.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks. Maybe just the two will be more sensible. Not sure whether to go 16deg Driver Mini, or a 460cc opened up to 15 or so. Decisions, decisions.

Guess I am not really talking three drivers - just a huge 3 wood, and a very big 4 wood.

It really multiple distance reliable tee clubs I am after. Happy to stick with no more than a hybrid from the fairway.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a driver and a Taylormade Aeroburner Mini, which is about 25 yards shorter but more accurate. It's basically a strong 3 wood, but I can't use it on the fairway.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why can’t you just learn how to hit your driver less than full bore?
Or do you only hit every club with full swing and juice?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now if it wasn’t for the posts I wouldn’t have had a clue what the subject was about 🤣 Sounds like something you’d hear in a prog about Aussie Outback truckers.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Get a lesson or two..
If you can't hit a 3 wood or 5 wood accurately off a tee to fill a gap between the driver and the hybrid, you probably need one.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I know Phil went bi-driver for a while years back, but thinking it could be a route more useful to us middle hcappers.
Not really playing the fairway woods from the fairway any more, but need 19X and 210 is lengths from the tee to allow for many holes chez moi where you run out of room or into hazards with the big dog too easily.
So SLDR driver keeps its place in the starting team for when its full pump. But thinking of binning the 3fw and 5fw for a 14deg 460cc weapon, and a mini driver 16deg (maybe cut an inch off it to curtail any encroaching on the 14deg).
Advantage - bigger heads, more fargiveness in both cases than the switched out little fw heads.
Browsing golfbidder for candidates for job.
Anyone tried this strategy? Logic seem sound?
I’ve struggled with my fairway woods this year and was serious considering replacing them but I’ve found a fit for my high launch 3 wood and 5 hybrid.

so coming from someone who knows your dilemma, I can’t see three drivers bringing an advantage if I’m being honest if you can hit you present driver 210 the just grip down for 200 and further for 190. This will save you dosh and space in your bag. Maybe then fit a couple of higher lofted fairways or hybrids in your bag that you can hit. The 3 wood is notoriously hard to hit. Hence my high launch version.

hope this helps

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'd question whether a mid handicapper should be hitting a 3 wood off the deck - as stated above, it's a tough shot to get right. I don't carry one, as I don't see where it comes into play - if I'm 200+ yards out, even if I got the connection with a 3 wood, I'm unlikely to get it on target. I'd rather be 30 yards short of the green on the fairway then 10 yards left or right in a bunker/trees/water or oob.
If my driver isn't performing off the tee, I have a 5 wood that will give me enough consistency while only sacrificing a little distance, but it's not often my driver is that bad.
I've got a hybrid that goes about 170 with ease, and I can hit it straight, with a fade, or with draw if needed.
Put the clubs in your bag that you know will perform for you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a mate with a mini driver and it worked well for him.

I cannot see the point in having a 14 degree and a 16 degree wood choose the less lofted club and grip down the shaft to shorten the distance.

What are you going to hit off fairways? Fairway woods are designed with a lower centre of gravity to help you get the ball airborne and as you are hitting off the fairway they do not need deeper heads.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I find most of the problems with hitting fairway woods stems from attempting to hit them from am unfavourable lie, especially in winter with long & soggy fairways, let alone the very long & boggy rough.

In winter I usually use my woods just off the tee & a hybrid off the deck, I get better results & tbh winter golf doesn't really matter.
When the fairways are cut shorter & the ground hardens up, then I start to use my fairways off the deck.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why can’t you just learn how to hit your driver less than full bore?
Or do you only hit every club with full swing and juice?
Beyond my skill grade. Trouble enough to hit it, without adjusting power. Its why we all carry a range of lofts.
All I am doing is recognising that for my longest clubs, they are really tee only. Not actual fairway options. So optimising them for tee use exclusively.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a mate with a mini driver and it worked well for him.

I cannot see the point in having a 14 degree and a 16 degree wood choose the less lofted club and grip down the shaft to shorten the distance.

What are you going to hit off fairways? Fairway woods are designed with a lower centre of gravity to help you get the ball airborne and as you are hitting off the fairway they do not need deeper heads.
22deg hybrid from the fairway. Carry 185 ish. Enough for the course I play for the par 5s and a long par 4, and risk/reward not worth taking the fairway woods I feel, for possible 10-20 extra. But do need the longer carries for tee shots, where 200-230 is a good place to put it, short of bunker and stream issues.
Have decided to get a 460cc 14 deg, and turn it up to 15.5 and see what it gives. Can always turn it down to 13 later and get the 16 mini when I see how the high driver goes with an inch or so cut off it.

Thanks for the offered views. If I get to single figures this summer with this strategy, Ill report back !

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You're always telling us all drivers are the same so why do you need three of them? :p

There's a chap at my club who carries two drivers - one has more distance and the other has more accuracy (but presumably less distance) so he chooses based on the hole requirements. I feel like three drivers really would be wasting spots in your bag though. I do believe that driver is easier to hit from the tee than fairway woods - but you pretty much kill your chances of hitting anything off the deck.
Never said different lofts dont matter ! Just the so-mis-called 'tech' 'improvement' !

sunshine

Visit site
I understand where you're coming from here.

- I find driver much easier to hit off the tee than 3 wood. Club face is probably three times the size, so is the sweet spot. Even if it's just in my head it's still a confidence issue.
- 3 wood or other fairway wood is very hard to hit off the deck consistently. Usually I will sacfrice some length and hit a long iron or hybrid because they are more consistent for me.
- So if you're only using a fairway wood off the tee, why not use a club which is easier to hit i.e. driver? It's logical. Have you considered a shorter shaft for your fairway finder driver? I don't mean just half an inch I mean much shorter e.g. a hybrid shaft. A higher lofted driver with a short shaft could become your go to club!