Nike's Covert VRS Driver first Review

DjW

Medal Winner
Visit site
Got a chance to hit the tour model yesterday and for my pennies worth really liked it...I got a great feeling from the club when hit well...nice and solid on contact. And the ball took off like a rocket on a low penetrating flight. Still wont be parting with £350 to upgrade to it but pretty tasty bit of kit non the less.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried the Tour edition today at Silvermere. Not the most scientific or accurate of tests as it was hammering with wind and rain, plus I was not wearing golf shoes on a slippery mat! I thought the head looks fantastic, sitting very nicely and a traditional shape. In the hands it also felt well balanced. The shaft length was a bit long for me though. I can tell that these shock shafts are 'marmite' - you'll love them or hate them. I think the better or stronger player will need a.n.other shaft from a proper fitter.

I did hit a few. Not very well mind! That's not the club's fault as I don't play woods anymore! When I did middle it, it made a sharp cracking sound; not scary sound but a bit different.

This club is potentially very good from the few mins I had with it. It is clear though that proper fitting with proper shafts is essential.

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hit both the tour and standard version in the simulator in AG Cardiff on launch day,first up they do look lovely,but I will have to agree that the stock shafts are not great,I took my driver in as a benchmark and can honestly say I was 20 yards longer with it.I did ask about custom shaft options but they did not have any at the moment. I think with a proper fitting this would be a good driver but nothing earth shattering.fwiw the R1 was longer as well.

V

vkurup

Update: Nike kindly sent me the 460cc regular head with Stiff shaft. I put it in the bag immediately. My current driver is a 10.5 loft, but on testing day, it was apparent that I needed more loft. So have set it to 11.5.

I have had it in the bag for about a month. The change is apparent, I am definitely longer. My inconsistent swing and technique leads to variable results. However, when I catch it right, it does travel far. despite the higher loft, I am don't think I am hitting the ball that high. Not too much slice or pull - though I continue to spray to the right or left, but not a high spinning slice/pull. I have also avoided the temptation to set the face to close to stop slicing, but staying on neutral.

Proof of the pudding: At the GM forum meet at West Hill, I was driving almost as long as MurphtheMog and GolfDub. So happy bunny - atleast till the next 'get longer' driver comes along.