Wish I hadn't tried my partners driver.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Here we go again ;)

'Not broken 100'

'275 down the middle'

'13.5/senior was 260 yards.'

Think it's more of a case of "here we go again a high handicapper hits driver well only to be called a liar"
It's not like he's some 17yr old claiming his vauxhall Corsa does 180mph.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Oh, I completely ballsed up the rest of the hole after the big drive and gave credence to the expression "Drive for show ...." :)

Never a truer word spoken. Many times. On this forum. Over and over and over again. But I will say it again. You hit your driver what, 10 to 12 times a round max depending on the course? How many shots do you play from within 100 yards? That's where you score.

Jay Gee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
True. Just improving my putting will save me 6 strokes or more. I'm mostly around 39-40 putts with a best of 37 and worst of 43. Fairways in reg average 4 and greens in reg average 2 :(

However, driving still costs me a disproportionate number of strokes due to lost balls /OOB. Hitting 3 off the tee is costly. It's amazing I can actually get round in just over 100.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
However, driving still costs me a disproportionate number of strokes due to lost balls /OOB. Hitting 3 off the tee is costly. It's amazing I can actually get round in just over 100.

Don't get too hung up on having to use a driver off the tee every time then. Better to be 180 yards down the fairway most times with a hybrid that you can control than 260 yards OOB or in the rough most times with the big dog. Then as you improve you can master the big dog. And if you do let me know how to do it, as I still haven't.

I played with a callow youth of 17 the other day who had a beautiful swing and played off around 16. But on every par 4 or 5 he insisted on hitting the big dog, when on at least half of the holes a well placed hybrid of 5 wood would have been much better. Some of the drives he was hitting went nearly 300 yards down the middle, but at least half of half drives ended up at best on the next fairway, and at worst lost. I reckon he could have gone round in at least 5 less shots by leaving the big dog in the bag on some holes.

Last edited: