Anyone been to the Phoenix Open?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Tend to hear about the 16th, but putting that aside what do they do so differently to handle such large attendances? Assume the transport links must be great?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not been but going to play there in October, I've always wanted to play the courses around that area.

BubbaP

Visit site
I probably did not title the thread too well.

No expert on the figures, but think our Open Championship is around 200 - 230K for the whole week, and the Phoenix was somewhere similar for one day. Are they pricing this very competitively does anyone know?

Far cry from some of the far flung events on the Euro tour I suppose!

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
I was there on Wednesday and Thursday...

The thing one has to understand is this is one of the most manufactured golf tournaments in the world. Although organization is first class, bussing people to the course from huge parking lots in the Scottsdale area (NE of Phoenix) the stadium of the last four holes and the quality of those holes tends to hide the fact the other fourteen are really nothing of note. It is an overpriced palooza for the PGA Tour as they own the facilities and the city of Scottsdale (one of the wealthiest for its size in the entire USA) throws lots of money into it knowing the city will make more (as will local businesses from the influx of fans.)

Billboards have been around town for weeks calling it "The People's Open" but it really is not...For most golfers in the PHX area it means the courses they regularly play become way overpriced in the lead up to it, memberships at private courses in the area are almost always five figures plus per year and designed for affluent....the kind often living or aspiring to live in Scottsdale.

Please do not mistake me but the vibe I got was it was aimed at hipsters, drunken louts, and those who need to be seen to keep up appearances. And if cheap domestic American beer at $10 per bottle is your idea of fun, this place will make you very happy indeed!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I was there on Wednesday and Thursday...

The thing one has to understand is this is one of the most manufactured golf tournaments in the world. Although organization is first class, bussing people to the course from huge parking lots in the Scottsdale area (NE of Phoenix) the stadium of the last four holes and the quality of those holes tends to hide the fact the other fourteen are really nothing of note. It is an overpriced palooza for the PGA Tour as they own the facilities and the city of Scottsdale (one of the wealthiest for its size in the entire USA) throws lots of money into it knowing the city will make more (as will local businesses from the influx of fans.)

Billboards have been around town for weeks calling it "The People's Open" but it really is not...For most golfers in the PHX area it means the courses they regularly play become way overpriced in the lead up to it, memberships at private courses in the area are almost always five figures plus per year and designed for affluent....the kind often living or aspiring to live in Scottsdale.
Please do not mistake me but the vibe I got was it was aimed at hipsters, drunken louts, and those who need to be seen to keep up appearances. And if cheap domestic American beer at $10 per bottle is your idea of fun, this place will make you very happy indeed!

I think these kind of people are called young people.;)

If it is so overpriced though then how come they get the biggest attendance of any golf tournament by a long way? Surely all golf tournaments are 'manufactured' as they have some massive corporate sponsor and tents flogging you all sorts of overpriced tat? I'd differentiate between being manufactured and being very successful in getting the punters through the gates. You could argue The Masters is the most manufactured tournament there is as they manicure everything to within a 10th of a mm of its life.

I am pretty sure this is the only tournament anyone under the age of 30 will watch and think that watching golf can be fun and a pleasurable way to spend your time and money. Yes there is a time and place for knowledgeable crowds that clap politely when someone manufactures a bump and run on a links course from 90 yards away to within 15 feet. But there must also always be a place for a tournament where the a young crowd gets very involved in the sport and you can behave like you do at a football match.

D

Deleted member 15344

It gets a lot of people going through the gate because of the 16th and the chance for them to drink lots of beer and throw empty cans and etc all over the place and make as much noise as possible and shout insults and abuse at the players

It's pretty much how a football crowd acts

Some players lap it up - some think it's horrific

Get lots of young people watching the game at the PGA and Opens and the British Masters was full of kids

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it's one of the best tournaments of the year, and brings a passion and excitement to the game that is lacking at other tournaments- it's not that every tourno should be like this, but there is definitely a place for a special, fan based tournament that encourages a bit of daft, and fun times.
I get that we don't want this atmosphere at the majors etc, but most sports have an event that is designed to be raucous, loud, and with loads of fan/player interaction, and once a year this should be something we pick up in Europe.
which course in the UK could cope with such an event? - Celtic Manor maybe with it's stadium finishing holes?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate it. I just don't get it. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that 16th hole. What golf lover in their right mind would want to watch the best golfers in the world just hit a PW tee shot on a par 3 ? It might have been longer on different days, but the day I watched it , it was 130 yards.

Those who say the game will grow in Europe by surrounding a par 3 with thousands of drunk University students to create an 'atmosphere' are mistaken.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it's one of the best tournaments of the year, and brings a passion and excitement to the game that is lacking at other tournaments- it's not that every tourno should be like this, but there is definitely a place for a special, fan based tournament that encourages a bit of daft, and fun times.
I get that we don't want this atmosphere at the majors etc, but most sports have an event that is designed to be raucous, loud, and with loads of fan/player interaction, and once a year this should be something we pick up in Europe.
which course in the UK could cope with such an event? - Celtic Manor maybe with it's stadium finishing holes?

I agree, as a one-off, think it would be a laugh.

I hate it. I just don't get it. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that 16th hole. What golf lover in their right mind would want to watch the best golfers in the world just hit a PW tee shot on a par 3 ? It might have been longer on different days, but the day I watched it , it was 130 yards.

Those who say the game will grow in Europe by surrounding a par 3 with thousands of drunk University students to create an 'atmosphere' are mistaken.

We wont pick Cheshire, then. ;)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree, as a one-off, think it would be a laugh.

We wont pick Cheshire, then. ;)

HAHA - they wouldn't get let in :)

The 16th at the WM Phoenix Tournament isn't a way to grow golf. The OP had it right, it's a way to make money. Ticket and beer sales must be immense. Is that a bad thing....I guess not. But I don't think it will grow the game.

The way to grow the game is to let kids into tournaments for free. Have pro's give junior clinics at said tournaments. Clubs should offer subsidised group lessons on a Sunday morning etc etc . Sky made great strides in the British Masters this year.

The best way though would be to have it taught at School. Nothing wrong with having the pro from the local club spend a few hours a week up at the school teaching, or take those interested to the local driving range on the school mini bus. We did a lot of main stream sports but we also had to play others so why not golf ?

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Yeah, I don't like fun things either.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

It all depends on your idea of fun.

Personally I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of getting leathered and screaming and Whooping like Chad Hogan in a "Spring Break" Stylee at someone hitting a golf Ball.
Then lobbing my half empty can on the Green followed by more Whooping.
I just don't think I'd get much out of it.

Im all for the getting Leathered bit, I'd just combine it with something else.

BubbaP

Visit site
It gets a lot of people going through the gate because of the 16th...

I read they fit circa 20K around the 16th. Even with changeovers having more than ten times that through the gate perhaps suggests there is more to it?

... and the chance for them to drink lots of beer and throw empty cans and etc all over the place and make as much noise as possible and shout insults and abuse at the players

Not seen that, bad if so - you have any links?

Seems like only 65K on the Sunday, so are they heavily discounting the other days?

As some people have said, perhaps not for every week, but isn't the headline attendance figure a good news story for golf?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
For what it's worth, I follow a few people on Twitter who provide some of the best new media content on the PGA Tour. Perhaps the best of these seriously questions the attendance figures thrown out there by the event.

Personally, I think it's great as a one off. It's an event I watch, and I'd say I am a maximum 50% viewer of the PGA Tour - there are just too many 72 hole strokeplay events played in the same conditions on similar 'target golf' courses. There isn't much different about Scottsdale except all the peripherals that go with it, so fair play to them for standing out in the market. Every week? Certainly not for me, but once a year is just about right.

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Personally I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of getting leathered and screaming and Whooping like Chad Hogan in a "Spring Break" Stylee at someone hitting a golf Ball.

Fair enough. Not exactly my cup of tea either. But a lot of people find it fun, it's not effecting the rest of golf, so I don't see the harm in it.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

IMHO.... bit like Firework displays... suitable only for young people, immature adults & Australians :rofl:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Different strokes for different folks I guess. If getting off your face with a load of 21 year old college blokes is your thing, then go nuts. 15 years ago it might have been a laugh to me. Not these days though. Just my opinion.

I guess my point was to those who think it has been done to help grow the game, I don’t think it will. I think its been done to make a wedge of cash and has worked, so in this regard, fair play to the PGA Tour.