Anybody off skiing this winter ?

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the holidays and other sports/hobbies threads, not many people mentioned skiing

This time of year is when i switch off from golf and try to get out to the snow a couple of times

Anyone else got any similar plans ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Yes, off to St Anton this weekend, finalised the accomodation today. Actually am of the one plank persuasion but going with my two plank buddy. Been dumping out there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a chance. My balance on two thin bits of plastic is worse than my golf swing and there is an air of inevitability about serious injury if I go. Even the odd attempt on a dry slope nearly resulted in an ambulance job. I'm not a skier

S

Snelly

Yes. I'm going to Wengen in February.

St Antonio is superb. Check out the Mooserwirt! Best bar in the Alps!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope to be heading off to France, mid March, nothing booked yet.
Been out of work for nearly 3 years now (sort of my choice) so have to watch the pennies.
Probably going to Le Rossiere as I've never been there but have heard lots of good things about it.
I'm of the two-plank persuasion. Didn't start skiing till I was in my late forties so figured a snowboard would be too much of a risk. I prefer legs that can move independently!

Going to adopt one or two Stack &Tilt principles in my skiing this year.
Weight on my front foot, arms close to my body & a huge hip thrust just before impact!

Enjoy.
Slime.

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
Going to our place in Crans Montana, Switzerland. I really can't wait be honest but there is still a month to go.

As a former professional skier I'd love to take some of the single digits guy at my club to have my long awaited revenge!! ;)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always regret not having tried ski-ing.

With my knees the way they ate I never will either, would just crumble like chalk!

Think it was the biggest no no I was given from the surgeon when they were finished putting my legs back together :(

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going to our place in Crans Montana, Switzerland. I really can't wait be honest but there is still a month to go.

As a former professional skier I'd love to take some of the single digits guy at my club to have my long awaited revenge!! ;)

Learnt to ski at Crans and spent 5 holidays there, great place, lunch time on the terrace at Bella Lui a little slice of heaven on earth :cool:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hey welcome back - havent seen you on here for a while

There is NO WAY you can get away with a quote like that - what / where did you ski ? Sounds fantastic.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
PS Crans looks interesting - we skiiiid in Saas fee last January (and went back for summer too) and it is the most beautiful place to be - wish i coudl afford teh Swiss exchange rate otherwise i would go there every year

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Went every year with a group for about 10 years, but then everyone started having families and the numbers dropped. Would love to go again and still have the gear in the loft.

Best resorts I went to were Schladming in Austria, although expensive, and Bormio in Italy. Loved Italy, very friendly people and great food. If went again that is where I would head to.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Sev - You seen the latest reports on Austria Tyrol in the press today? Will be my first time in Austria
Snelly - thanks for the bar tip off
iku; Crans Ski Und Golf - stayed there for a week and spent 3 days I think on Crans slopes - good week. Do you go and golf there also?
Slime; Another time had a good day a La Rosiere, started off raining so the place was deserted, not a queue anywhere and ended up a good day.

Making a tenuous link back to golf - my ski buddy has managed 2 pairs of boots in 25 years and happily rents skis, whereas I seem to have spent a lot of cash on my one plank equipment where ownership is the norm. I wonder if the golf marketers have worked their magic in this field! I reckon to be pretty cautious with cash and cannot (when I think about it) justify the spend I’ve made for maybe one or two weeks a year, but somehow again I'm packing some new shiny shiny bindings!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
my ski buddy has managed 2 pairs of boots in 25 years and happily rents skis.

I'm with your mate on this one.
Spent a fair bit on a really comfy pair of boots that'll outlast me bt some distance. My feet stopped growing about 35yrs ago. Just rent skis each trip. The technology is always changing & I don't want to have to buy new skis every two or three years.
Have fun where ever your going & stay safe,

Slime.

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey welcome back - havent seen you on here for a while

There is NO WAY you can get away with a quote like that - what / where did you ski ? Sounds fantastic.

I used to ski for italian team about 10 years ago when I was in my early 20s. I was getting my salary from the army plus a couple of sponsorships, enough to make a decent living but nothing flashy. I did it for about 3 years (+about 10 not professionally as a junior) and then I just felt I wasn't good enough to make a career of that as my studies where suffering. After that I did the school to become an instructor and spent few seasons teaching kids and that was probably one of the best times of my life. I don't think there's anything better then seeing a kid learning something new. When I moved to London it was just too difficult to keep my certificates up to date so I can't teach officially anymore now but still help out when I go back there.

Crans is a great place but as someone said the exchange rate is now mad! We got our place about 5 years ago when it was 2CHF for a £. Slopes are quite easy but lovely and when the world cup is there the atmosphere is just great.

I played golf only once in Crans last summer but really want to go more, actually I decided to take on golf about 18 months ago looking at the people playing the course there in the summer.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Doesn't seem much point in starting a new thread when a ten year old one will do perfectly well.
This time tomorrow I shall be checking into the Eurostar for my first trip abroad for 2 years. Only got a few days, so taking the XC kit down to Grenoble and staying in a small resort with a big XC area - Villard-de-Lans. Looking forward to fresh air, sunshine and exercise.
Anyone else got any plans/been already?
Probably gonna do a family downhill trip later in the year, but it's like herding cats agreeing on a date...

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Doesn't seem much point in starting a new thread when a ten year old one will do perfectly well.
This time tomorrow I shall be checking into the Eurostar for my first trip abroad for 2 years. Only got a few days, so taking the XC kit down to Grenoble and staying in a small resort with a big XC area - Villard-de-Lans. Looking forward to fresh air, sunshine and exercise.
Anyone else got any plans/been already?
Probably gonna do a family downhill trip later in the year, but it's like herding cats agreeing on a date...
Hopefully off to Italy in a months time enjoy Villard de Lans, not one I've been to.