Anybody off skiing this winter ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Get you butt out there, love Italy, great food and drink and fantastic skiing. Best throw the kit in the loft away though.

Had some of my best trips in Italy. A particular favourite was the Italian Milky Way - Sestriere and San Sicario in particular. I love tree lined skiing and in good conditions that area is great fun.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Arrived in Obergurgl yesterday.
Today was unbroken sunshine, and the forecast is for more of the same - hooray!

One irritation is that I have to put on a mask to get on a chair lift, when I'm allowed to sit in a crowded bar or restaurant without! Makes no sense, and is very inconvenient when you're wearing a helmet.

Billysboots

Visit site
Prefer to stay in Sauze and ski across to Sestriere.

I’ve stayed there three or four times too. I love the old part of the village, some really nice restaurants down there. And I spent many happy hours in bars like Moncrons and The Derby in the 90’s. Did you ever drink a bombardino? Made with Vov, whiskey and cream as I recall - bloody lovely stuff.

The only real issue I had with Sauze was the lift system out of the village. It seemed to take an age to get into Sportina first thing in the morning. Admittedly it may have changed since my last trip there in 2006, but the lifts were largely archaic in comparison with French resorts of similar size.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Apartment in Spain is only just over two hours from Granada, and the ski slopes. One of our neighbours wants to go skiing next year, and was wondering if it is like riding a bike.i.e you never forget. Used to go skiing every year for about ten years, but not been for 30 years. If so the Jean- Claude Killy of the slopes could be back.:LOL:
I’d only had 10 years off, but after three runs at the Snowdome it was like I never stopped, I did have a quick lesson when I got to resort, but it’s very much like riding a bike.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just watching Ski Sunday and the speed those guys do is absolutely mental. Balls of steel.
World Cup skiers are as representative of recreational skiers as PGA Tour pros are to club golfers. Their capabilities are on a different planet. In fact I think the gulf is probably far greater - at least I can occasionally hit a wedge or putt as accurately as a pro (even if only by luck), but I could never in a million years replicate any aspect of a pro skier's performance.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve stayed there three or four times too. I love the old part of the village, some really nice restaurants down there. And I spent many happy hours in bars like Moncrons and The Derby in the 90’s. Did you ever drink a bombardino? Made with Vov, whiskey and cream as I recall - bloody lovely stuff.

The only real issue I had with Sauze was the lift system out of the village. It seemed to take an age to get into Sportina first thing in the morning. Admittedly it may have changed since my last trip there in 2006, but the lifts were largely archaic in comparison with French resorts of similar size.
It was fine in 2019, out first day was an Italian bank Holiday and pretty busy, but no more than 2-3 mins queue for any lifts.

Billysboots

Visit site
It was fine in 2019, out first day was an Italian bank Holiday and pretty busy, but no more than 2-3 mins queue for any lifts.

As I say, 2006 when I was last there. I was surprised at the lack of investment in the lift infrastructure to that point given Turin had the Winter Olympics that season, and Sauze hosted the freestyle events.

I don’t doubt it’s improved in the 16 years since.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Lifts in Sauze were upgraded about 4 years ago. I stay away from France as I find the lift queues as a bun fight.