Any TV experts?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Looking at replacing the mistake that was the 3D TV with a 43" or 49" 4K TV. 43" might sit better in the room size was but I understand that some of the better tech starts at 49".

Most important feature is picture quality, will be used primarily for sports, films & music. Prefer decent sound with it but understand I might have to add a sound bar (no sub woofer, nowhere to stand it).

Recommendations please.

Thanks in anticipation.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
What is your budget Richard ? Smiffy recommended a Sony 49 inch 9505 led tv to me, around £900, but greatly reduced from the price when it first came out.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
What is your budget Richard ? Smiffy recommended a Sony 49 inch 9500 led tv to me, around £800, but greatly reduced from the price when it first came out.

I'd like to get the lot for about a grand Richard, I'll stretch to a little more for the right one. We've seen a 49" LG with NanoCell technology which looked quite good with a decent picture although the Samsung 49" possibly bettered it, both around the £700 mark.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I looked at the Samsung. They call their top tv’s Qled, but they are just a decent led, and not oled. Oled have a stunning picture, but start at 55 inch, and around £1200. I know LG are bringing out a 49 oled tv soon, which might be within your budget.

Having checked out all the reviews on YouTube, I would go for Sony and Samsung for led, and LG for oled. You do get better features the bigger the screen, so 49 inch might be the better size. You want to check the distance the feet of the tv are apart if you are going to put on a stand, other wise you may need a new stand ! Ignore this if you are putting on the wall !

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Thanks Brian, we we're looking at the 8600 LG, so we'll have to see what the extra £200 gets you over the 8200 that you've got. Does yours have the voice control?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Thanks Brian, we we're looking at the 8600 LG, so we'll have to see what the extra £200 gets you over the 8200 that you've got. Does yours have the voice control?

Yes it has voice control. TBH, although we used it a lot in the early days, we don't bother now.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I were buying LED I would definitely make Sony my first port of call Rich. The 49" model I mentioned to Richart is a good 'un. Motion handling (for sports) is spot on. Always has been good on Sony models.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...5EBZQBnYjRuCYpXHG_RoC33sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've gone over to OLED now. Not likely to be changing back to LED, (or QLED as Samsung call it), anytime soon. Love it. Perfect blacks, which makes everything else "pop" but am aware that the technology is only on bigger screens.
I don't watch Sky with their tickertape logo's and don't game either.... so "burn in" not an issue for us.

And if the stand width is an issue for your TV cabinet, get one of these mate......;););)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1home-Universal-TVs-Height-Adjustable-Management-Holds-32-55-Height/dp/B075FN4GH5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=table+top+stand+for+49"+tv&qid=1583476875&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE0Q1AwTFQwMjQyOEsmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxOTYzNTAyUUFBVUpEWlNQSVMmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDg4MzY3MTE4RTRDOVhDRDFCWTgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Last edited:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a source of good info on TV as I'm a subscriber to Home Cinema magazine and follow Vincent Teoh* on YouTube! I love my TVs...you can spend peanuts, £300, or mountains, £90k, if you want state of the art 8k TV at large size :).

*expert in TVs and professional TV calibrator.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I don't know what the prices are like in the UK, but they're down enough here that you can buy the biggest thing that can possibly fit in the space that you have for it.

I've got a 70 in my man cave, a 55 in my study, and a 46 over the fireplace. None of them were much more expensive than vacuum tube (valve) console sets decades ago, and I'm NOT adjusting for inflation.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Anyone any experience or thoughts on a Philips 50PUS8804 (2019) LED HDR 4K Ultra HD?

Given that the sound aspect is important, a build in B & W sound bar has a certain appeal.

D

Deleted member 16999

Anyone any experience or thoughts on a Philips 50PUS8804 (2019) LED HDR 4K Ultra HD?

Given that the sound aspect is important, a build in B & W sound bar has a certain appeal.

Can’t help with that exact model, but we have this one as our main TV:
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/43PUS...ith-ambilight-2-sided-and-pixel-plus-ultra-hd

And it is excellent, I’d have no reservations recommending their TV’s. The ambilight is a great add on, but can be disabled, really good feature for some movies, programmes etc.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at replacing the mistake that was the 3D TV with a 43" or 49" 4K TV. 43" might sit better in the room size was but I understand that some of the better tech starts at 49".

Most important feature is picture quality, will be used primarily for sports, films & music. Prefer decent sound with it but understand I might have to add a sound bar (no sub woofer, nowhere to stand it).

Recommendations please.

Thanks in anticipation.

What 3DTV have you got? Some TVs did brilliant 3D and some, errr, not. So much info to discuss but here's my 2p and brain dump. Happy to answer any questions:

Rough guide is that serious top end TVs are around £2.5k plus, mid range are £1-£2.5k, and lower range under £1k. Guide only! More money means bigger size and more processing and features under the hood. The new 2020 range of TVs are starting to hit the shops now and will be complete by summer. Serial designation indicate year model; e.g. Sony are now on H range for 2020 => KD49XG9005 is a 2019 model.

If you want OLED, LG make most, if not all, the panels you get in OLEDs. The better OLEDs out there are from Panasonic and LG, with Sony not far behind. Small size OLEDs are coming this year from LG and Sony at 48". OLED are best at blacks, not great at whites yet (or 'pop' you get from lights and flames). Having said that, OLEDs are getting better at whites as their nit count is rising. A TV than can accurately show 1000+ nits without clipping is great but these will be top end TVs. Panasonic OLEDs are cracking the moment, with LG not far behind. Some TVs support different HDR modes (e.g. Dolby Vision, HLG, HDR10...) and a few do all. Only an issue if you have DVDs really that have one HDR mode.

If you want LED, Sony is the best in the main. Samsung do their QLED version and are very good. But note that they overbrighten their TVs to draw you in (e.g Q90). This means that the film director's intent is not necessarily shown on their TVs. As an example, Sony Master series faithfully represent. As you are a film man, this could be important. Note that some TVs will come out this year with Film Director (can't remember the exact phrase) mode readily available.

If you sit off axis, consider TVs that have great viewing angles. e.g. not most LEDs! Plus, if you have light in your room, think about reflective properties. Samsungs have the best non-reflective filters.

If you want best motion processing, consider a Sony TV.

All TVs suffer from DSE, dirty screen effect, in varying degrees. It’s called the panel lottery to get a tv that has low DSE. You notice DSE when the tv displays one main colour and picture pans. An example of this is football with a predominantly green picture, or snow scenes. Not much one can do, except reject a new TV that exhibits too much DSE. Its a personal preference whether this is something you notice or bothers you.

Strongly recommend you look at Rtings.com for ratings on individual TVs and comparisons. Pick out the TV features that mean most to you.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Visit site
What 3DTV have you got? Some TVs did brilliant 3D and some, errr, not. So much info to discuss but here's my 2p and brain dump. Happy to answer any questions:

Rough guide is that serious top end TVs are around £2.5k plus, mid range are £1-£2.5k, and lower range under £1k. Guide only! More money means bigger size and more processing and features under the hood. The new 2020 range of TVs are starting to hit the shops now and will be complete by summer. Serial designation indicate year model; e.g. Sony are now on H range for 2020 => KD49XG9005 is a 2019 model.

If you want OLED, LG make most, if not all, the panels you get in OLEDs. The better OLEDs out there are from Panasonic and LG, with Sony not far behind. Small size OLEDs are coming this year from LG and Sony at 48". OLED are best at blacks, not great at whites yet(or 'pop' you get from lights and flames). Having said that, OLEDs are getting better at whites as their nit count is rising. A TV than can accurately show 1000+ nits without clipping is great but these will be top end TVs. Panasonic OLEDs are cracking the the moment, with LG not far behind. Some TVs support different HDR modes (e.g. Dolby Vision, HLG, HDR10...) and a few do all. Only an issue if you have DVDs really that one HDR mode.

If you want LED, Sony is the best in the main. Samsung do their QLED version and are very good. But note that they overbrighten their TVs to draw you in (e.g Q90). This means that the film director's intent is not necessarily shown on their TVs. As an example, Sony Master series faithfully represent. As you are a film man, this could be important. Note that some TVs will come out this year with Film Director (can't remember the exact phrase) mode readily available.

If you sit off axis, consider TVs that have great viewing angles. e.g. not LEDs! Plus, if you have light in your room, think about reflective properties. Samsungs have the best non-reflective properties.

If you want best motion processing, consider a Sony TV.

Strongly recommend you look at Rtings.com for ratings on individual TVs and comparisons. Pick out the TV features that mean most to you.

The 3D TV is a Panasonic of some description, about 36" and with a relatively wide surround. Can't tell you the model without hauling the Q acoustics sub woofer off the back of it. :D

I'll be looking at the higher end of low range then :( I'm not up for spending £2.5k plus on a TV and the room will only take a 50" max because of fixed furniture. I don't particularly want LED or OLED, just a better picture than we've currently got. I do sit about 30-40 degrees off axis, Mrs BiM is pretty much on axis (not a phrase often used about Mrs. BiM :LOL:) so I'll have to look into that in store. Main viewing is sport, films & nature programmes so looks like the Sony is where I'll be looking first. Any direct experience of the Philips I mentioned; Mrs BiM is very much of a one box mind so that would tick a few boxes for her but if the picture quality is crap then she'll live with separate soundbar or box, probably from Q again.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. (y)

Blue in Munich

Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TVs can upscale SD and HD to 4k, so I think you mean you only get true 4k if the source is true 4k.

It is what I meant.

I do not have a 4k source and reading several reviews of some makes and the upscaling of HD put me off buying a 4k TV (as well as saving £200 as a major part of the decision)