Another Handicap Question

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know what a handicap is I am not that silly but how is it worked out by the committee -

is your handicap-

A- an ideal round at your level that you will probably not hit
B- is it a number that you should hit no problem with a good day
C- A target you shoot should regularly.

I am asking because when playing with a group of mates we used B, but now I am a club member I feel that they hand out A's.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I know what a handicap is I am not that silly but how is it worked out by the committee -

is your handicap-

A- an ideal round at your level that you will probably not hit
B- is it a number that you should hit no problem with a good day
C- A target you shoot should regularly.

I am asking because when playing with a group of mates we used B, but now I am a club member I feel that they hand out A's.

Its all to do with the CONGU rules and Standard Scratch Score and that....this is not my definitive answer hahah I just wanted to say I feel the same as you - what is it with commitees handing out harsh handicaps?!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I believe it is a general C,
you are either capable of playing to a handicap or not, this figure is a number you can achieve in good conditions will generally be in and around +-3 shots. A handicap is a current figure and not one that you aspire to in my eyes.

B

birdieman

It is more like A than the other 2. I attended an SGU handicapping seminar and a category 1 player (handicap 5 and below) on average is expected to shoot 2 shots above their handicap. A category 4 (handicap 20-28) player will shoot on average 6 above their handicap. That is why the buffer zone is much less for cat 1 players than cat 4 players. That is from data gathered across all the home golf unions, not guesswork.
This is borne out by most players who can play to their handicap only every 3rd or 4th attempt eg you get three iffy rounds, each adding 0.1's followed by a good score and get cut 0.3 etc etc.

D

Deleted member 1147

I agree with Birdieman - you get punished alot less for playing over than you benefit by playing under if you're a higher category!

Therefore it should be a tricky to achieve target rather than a regularly attainable one!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Get the feeling that it's always 'A'. If you play to your h'cap regularly your h'cap will be cut. I have a club h'cap of 24 and yet in my last 4 games it has increased by 0.1 (not part of the plan), therefore I think that I have been unfairly penalised with my initial h'cap. Ah well, what can you do about it!? Incidently highest ever stableford score was 33, a one off, most of the time it's early to mid twenties, again why I feel that my official h'cap should be higher. If I can't play to it on my home course how am I supposed to achieve it elsewhere?

Guess that my inconsistency doesn't help as my lowest 'dream' round has been 8 over and my 'dream' worst has been 70 over which is double par!! I've only played the course 10 times.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
new handicap allocations should be fair to all - which in general means its harsh on the player to whom its being awarded!

as handicap secretary at my club I look at all merit cards in alot of detail to ensure I get the initial allocation as right as possible. I normally take the lowest of the 3 taking into account adjustments and use that as the foundation for my allocation.

I am probably guilty of being too harsh but if proved wrong I will give an adjustment to a more suitable level after consulting with other members of the Committee.

I find it tough sometimes but have had my fingers burnt in the past where I have awarded high handicaps to those who's merit cards have been nothing short of shocking then 3 weeks later shoot 11 under their handicap! Its not them that the lynch mob go after - its me for awarding the handicap in the first place!

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I find it tough sometimes but have had my fingers burnt in the past where I have awarded high handicaps to those who's merit cards have been nothing short of shocking then 3 weeks later shoot 11 under their handicap! Its not them that the lynch mob go after - its me for awarding the handicap in the first place!

I totally understand, thanks for a great reply. I was just wondering and was not having a go at anyone.

I put in 3 cards and was awarded a handicap (24.5), but then my old club eventually gave me details of my handicap (28 :() 28 is achievable - 24 might be by end of the year with work. Both can be called fair, as the 28 will get heavily cut when I find a bit of form - but I never seem to get enough points to win. To my it feels like the'cappers dangle the carrot a few % away.

I have a playing partner who 85% of the time shoots +13 or more gross, he holds a cert for 12 and it does not seem to change- IE he gets a fer=w 0.1's then he gets a half shaved. 12 seems to be his magic number- but it is achievable - just a bit confused.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I came across this the other day when browsing around for info on handicaps.

"A player's handicap is intended to show a player's potential, not his average score, as is the common belief. A player will play to his handicap less than 25% of the time...."

...which would put it in Ken_A's "A" category