Another Go-Kart thread!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just re-read my OP and as stated I didn't feel the need to re charge on the Saturday night as is a 36 hole battery.
Obviously the battery had been on trickle charge all week, so was fully loaded on Sat morning.

Or am I having a real senior moment here? :)

Golfmmad.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The thing with 36 hole batteries is they still have to be charged if they are going to be left over night. My Hillbilly is the same. It does the battery no favours being left half charged.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
What a load of crap.
So you buy a new car and the battery goes in 6 months.
Who's fault is it?
VW because it's a Polo you've got or Exide because their battery was shite?
Or the alternator pops it's clogs within 6 months. VW's fault or Bosch?
you are missing the point, do you care if it was vw or exide?
You bought a product which should be tested to exhaustion before being released to market.
Toyota did the same thing, ford and gm were suffering bigtime financially a couple of years ago, toyota hurried production against some engineers advice and look what happened there.
Cadburys knew about their bad batches of chocolate and recalled a load of them but decided that because Boone had fallen I'll from the last batches still out there, they would rather risk 50million in the odd case pay off instead of lost purchases mounting up. They ended up paying out something like 250 million because several people fell badly ill.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What a load of crap.
So you buy a new car and the battery goes in 6 months.
Who's fault is it?
VW because it's a Polo you've got or Exide because their battery was shite?
Or the alternator pops it's clogs within 6 months. VW's fault or Bosch?
you are missing the point, do you care if it was vw or exide?
You bought a product which should be tested to exhaustion before being released to market.
Toyota did the same thing, ford and gm were suffering bigtime financially a couple of years ago, toyota hurried production against some engineers advice and look what happened there.
Cadburys knew about their bad batches of chocolate and recalled a load of them but decided that because Boone had fallen I'll from the last batches still out there, they would rather risk 50million in the odd case pay off instead of lost purchases mounting up. They ended up paying out something like 250 million because several people fell badly ill.

:D :D :D :D

We're talking about a scorecard holder cover breaking due to a users cack handedness, and a battery going kaput
;)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
The thing with 36 hole batteries is they still have to be charged if they are going to be left over night. My Hillbilly is the same. It does the battery no favours being left half charged.

No...a lead acid battery should hold the charge overnight no probs......they should hold it for a good few days if it's in good nick. If you do 18 holes with a 36 hole battery it should do another 18 the following day.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
:D :D :D :D

We're talking about a scorecard holder cover breaking due to a users cack handedness, and a battery going kaput
;)
I know that Smiffy, Im just giving you examle of where a process broke down in quality, in those examples of mine it ended up costing more to put right than the process of changing the design in the first place. That would have saved the need to have to costly repair/replace afterwards. Nothing is ever perfect but GK seem to be a company making a name for itself in selling sparkly goods which fail and is backed up by good service, if you are in a position where you can afford for those goods to be away being fixed then you would avoid and buy a more reliant item.

I carry. :p

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
I've stated before that i think Go_Kart's fail less than their competitors models.
It's just that we all come on here and tell people when they fail because we get the extra service and are surprised about how well we're treated.
So I'm going to post about my Go_kart....hasn't broken down since I've owned it, and it works great.
BTW I think it looks cool, better than the Metal models (They all look like a bit of scaffolding someone has knocked up in their shed) My Go-Kart looks designed like it's had some thought put into it (Which it has)

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I'm going to post about my Go_kart....hasn't broken down since I've owned it, and it works great.
BTW I think it looks cool, better than the Metal models (They all look like a bit of scaffolding someone has knocked up in their shed) My Go-Kart looks designed like it's had some thought put into it (Which it has)

Couldn't agree more THJahar :cool:

Golfmmad.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
[/QUOTE]

Afraid you are having a senior moment you daft, grey haired old twonk!!
You didn't say anything about "recharging" it, just said that you hadn't charged it!

;)

[/QUOTE]

OK,OK, you almost as old as me, balding on top dork :eek: :D

I hadn't charged it because a 36 hole battery shouldn't need it after only 18, and as Tommo said, should be alright for the next day.

Golfmmad.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done Go-Kart....good to hear they are winning hearts and minds.

My mate bought an Audi when I got my BMW. About a year later, he told me that Audi customer service was second to none.

I asked him to explain why he thought his dealer/service centre was better than mine......

his reply....

"because it's been in 7 times in 12 months, they always give me a courtesy car and haven't charged me even £1....."

Then the penny dropped. :) :D :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hadn't charged it because a 36 hole battery shouldn't need it after only 18, and as Tommo said, should be alright for the next day.

Hmmm. Maybe.

Golf trolly batteries are NOT the same as ordinary lead acid car batteries and, according to every set of instructions that I have had with a new battery, they should be put on charge as soon as possible after use whether they have done 9, 18, 27 or 36 holes in a day with the full charging cycle being carried out.

Whether not charging the same day after doing 18 will affect the battery, I know not. But what I do know is that if you over-discharge a trolly battery (whatever you do, don't run it completely flat) it will never get full charge again. I had a battery that was easily good enough for 27 holes. Did 18, put it on charge but didn't know that one of the connections had broken so it didn't charge up, a few days later played again and it gave out after about 11 holes. I never got a full 18 out of it again.

Be warned.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I've had my GK since September and not had a problem with it. I broke the strap a few weeks ago and they replaced it straight away and where very nice about it.

I've heard many of my playing partners stories about PK or HB where the numerous manufacturing faults end with the user having to drop the trolley off at a repairer or the maker just offering poor service for a poor product like the FW2.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

Hmmm. Maybe.

Golf trolly batteries are NOT the same as ordinary lead acid car batteries and, according to every set of instructions that I have had with a new battery, they should be put on charge as soon as possible after use whether they have done 9, 18, 27 or 36 holes in a day with the full charging cycle being carried out.

Whether not charging the same day after doing 18 will affect the battery, I know not. But what I do know is that if you over-discharge a trolly battery (whatever you do, don't run it completely flat) it will never get full charge again. I had a battery that was easily good enough for 27 holes. Did 18, put it on charge but didn't know that one of the connections had broken so it didn't charge up, a few days later played again and it gave out after about 11 holes. I never got a full 18 out of it again.

Be warned.

My job in R n D means I test batteries of all types every day. The concept of a lead acid battery is the same the world round. If inferior production methods or materials are used you get an inferior product, so some are better than others.

By your own admission your battery connection was faulty. So how did you know it was charged fully before you found out.

When I get new LA batteries to test the first thing we do is discharge the battery completely. If that battery is worth it’s salt it will recharge fully, many many times from that situation. Most LA batteries give more volts, and work better, after a full discharge then recharge. Trust me. If they don’t there is something far wrong because thats what they're supposed to do.

My advice to all you guys, get yourself a small meter…they’re cheap. Check the voltage when your battery is fully charged and thereafter you will know if your battery is on song.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have 2 x 18 hole GK batteries. I use each of them in turn for 36 holes , usually 2 x 18 hole rounds on different days. I even went one step further one week and did an extra 9 holes with one. Never even got close to running out of oomph at any time. I'm also of the opinion that you discharge the battery as much as possible before re-charging

My strap that wraps around the bottom of the bag has broken but I just put a bungee on it instaed and tbh its tighter and stops the bag moving better.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
"By your own admission your battery connection was faulty. So how did you know it was charged fully before you found out."

The point I was making was that I thought (wrongly as it turned out) that it was fully charged. When it gave out after about 11 holes and the round was finished, I checked the charger leads and found the problem which I then fixed. That battery never did a full 18 again although a replacement battery, using the same charger, was fine.

You say "Most LA batteries give more volts, and work better, after a full discharge then recharge." So that's not all of them then.

You may well in your job have tested LA batteries to distruction, but have you tried this with batteries specifically designed for trollies? Batteries for trollies are designed and built to provide different discharge and charge characteristics to car batteries and maybe, just maybe, should be treated differently.

If the manufacturers and suppliers suggest that the batteries should be put on charge as soon as possible after use and should not be fully discharged, then that's what I will do.

:) :)

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If the manufacturers and suppliers suggest that the batteries should be put on charge as soon as possible after use and should not be fully discharged, then that's what I will do.

:) :)

You read the instructions ?

You big girls blouse, you. :p

( I'll bet you've never had a Snickers in your life, have you ? :eek: :eek: )

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I get new LA batteries to test the first thing we do is discharge the battery completely. If that battery is worth it’s salt it will recharge fully, many many times from that situation. Most LA batteries give more volts, and work better, after a full discharge then recharge. Trust me. If they don’t there is something far wrong because thats what they're supposed to do.

My advice to all you guys, get yourself a small meter…they’re cheap. Check the voltage when your battery is fully charged and thereafter you will know if your battery is on song.

Not that I know a lot, but I always thought "leisure batteries" were designed to work best fully discharged then charged and "car" batteries best not to let discharge. I'm presuming golf batteries are deep cycle = "a battery that is designed to store a lot of energy, which can be drained and then recharged over and over again."

Good tip about the hand-held meter too....I have one, it's invaluable.