Annual handicap review

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Results of our annual handicap review have been posted, and my names no on the list :angry:

I honestly thought my season scoring would have seen me into the review! Here's a snapshot of my season scoring:

null_zps80bd3fef.png

Only two, 0.1's back all season with the rest in buffer or better. I know I've dropped 2 shots over the season and perhaps this isn't enough who it comes to scoring per handicap that the review is based on.

I'm tempted to have a quiet word with the handicap secretary next time I see him, just to ask the question.

What do you guys think? Does my scoring warrant an reduction in the annual review? Should I ask the question of the handicap secretary or keep quiet and play on?

Being honest, I have no idea what the correct protocol is in situation like this so any advice is greatly appreciated :thup:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have to be honest I really dont get why you think you should be cut more. The best youve shot all year is 3 under, and youve been cut 2 shots over the course of the year. Seems to be a recent trend for people wanting to be cut for consistently shooting buffer scores, makes no sense to me, just implies you are correctly handicapped to my laymans understanding of the system

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks to me like you're just making steady progress Gareth, wouldn't try and rush it too much, it'll come down in it's own time

D

Deleted member 17920

You have only played in 8 comps as well. You have been cut through the card.

No need for another reduction. Have you won the singplayer doubles match play or am I missing something.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that the complete list of comps you've played Gareth? I'd guess I've played at least a dozen, if not more, and have come down 5 shots since Spring. I'm not expecting a further cut though, despite ESRs. No idea if our place even has an annual review mind, is it a CONGU compulsory thing?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
you can play off 5 if you want to Gareth, just means a lot of 0.1's ;)

the h/c will get there fella, just keep plugging away and enjoy any extra shots whilst you can :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

I can't see why you would expect a cut from a review

You have been cut from your scoring already and the scoring doesn't seen to suggest another cut is needed

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was under the impression, when it came to annual review, that it was your performance against handicap (computer model) which has a 'model' for each category of handicap.

In short if you constantly hit buffer or better then your handicap is inaccurate as you are playing to, or better than it too often.

Or is that not correct?

D

Deleted member 15344

From that list - 4 times you have played above your handicap and three times below it and you got cut for those

That suggests your handicap is correct currently

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
From that list - 4 times you have played above your handicap and three times below it and you got cut for those

That suggests your handicap is correct currently

The calculation, as I understand it, isn't based on something as simple as that. It's based on a computer model of the typical scoring per handicap. If you a better than that then you are flagged for review.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
The fella I know who got flagged rarely beat his handicap in a comp, maybe once or twice, but when he did he smashed it, otherwise he was always in the buffer. He came down 1.2 shots. He was a massive bandit off 25!! I guess the only way to be sure of a reduction is to shoot the lights out in a comp. thats the only way you can really be in control.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The fella I know who got flagged rarely beat his handicap in a comp, maybe once or twice, but when he did he smashed it, otherwise he was always in the buffer. He came down 1.2 shots. He was a massive bandit off 25!! I guess the only way to be sure of a reduction is to shoot the lights out in a comp. thats the only way you can really be in control.

Sounds very similar to a few at our track.

I know a cat 4 player, who is in the review, handicap increased by 0.4 over the season yet it has still been recommended his handicap be reduced by 1 shot as his performance against handicap was -3.63 (from memory).

D

Deleted member 15344

The calculation, as I understand it, isn't based on something as simple as that. It's based on a computer model of the typical scoring per handicap. If you a better than that then you are flagged for review.

Why do you think you should get another shot reduction ?

It's not like you have smashed past your handicap - a couple of three shot unders but nothing else though

D

Deleted member 15344

And you have already received cuts for the time you were under handicap

Cutting another cut for playing over your Handicap ?sorry don't agree with that

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cutting another cut for playing over your Handicap ?sorry don't agree with that

So what do you make of the scenario is post #13?

Handicap goes up and still get recommended 1 shot off.

As an example. If I were to buffer every qualifier I played in, would my handicap be right, or considered too high in terms of A/R?

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I was doing a report card It would say , done well to date
need to improve
talent is there
needs to work harder to get better marks

D

Deleted member 15344

So what do you make of the scenario is post #13?

Handicap goes up and still get recommended 1 shot off.

As an example. If I were to buffer every qualifier I played in, would my handicap be right, or considered too high in terms of A/R?

The person in the post you mentioned shouldn't IMO get cut

Also hitting buffer every time suggests that the handicap is right IMO