Annual handicap review

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So what do you make of the scenario is post #13?

Handicap goes up and still get recommended 1 shot off.

As an example. If I were to buffer every qualifier I played in, would my handicap be right, or considered too high in terms of A/R?

My opinion as ive impled already is that AR would be wrong to cut you. Basically its looking for a cut based on consistency rather than beating handicap, for me thats not right (albeit there is probably some algorithm witrhin the current system that makes it so)

If you look at your 8 scores your average is a fraction under 16 yet youre looking for a reduction below 14, just doesnt add up to my simple brain

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People thinking they deserve a cut when clearly the computer says no yet moan an want to have a word with the hcp sec about it. Just go out practice more and then it will come down

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My opinion as ive impled already is that AR would be wrong to cut you. Basically its looking for a cut based on consistency rather than beating handicap, for me thats not right (albeit there is probably some algorithm witrhin the current system that makes it so)

If you look at your 8 scores your average is a fraction under 16 yet youre looking for a reduction below 14, just doesnt add up to my simple brain

Steve. I agree.

That's why I thought I may qualify, obviously not.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Gareth, At my club the annual review process includes a list that the Hcap Sec puts on the board inviting members to request handicap adjustments, either up or down. Does you club not do this?

Also, the list that the system provides regarding suggested adjustments is just that, suggested. The Hcap Sec can ignore it, use part of it etc. Who knows, you may have been on the list but he/she chose to ignore your entry.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth, At my club the annual review process includes a list that the Hcap Sec puts on the board inviting members to request handicap adjustments, either up or down. Does you club not do this?

Also, the list that the system provides regarding suggested adjustments is just that, suggested. The Hcap Sec can ignore it, use part of it etc. Who knows, you may have been on the list but he/she chose to ignore your entry.

A very good point, very well made TXL :thup:

I'll ask if I was on the list but declined. At least I'd feel better :mad:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A very good point, very well made TXL :thup:

I'll ask if I was on the list but declined. At least I'd feel better :mad:

My assessment of your scores would be that the system has handled any indicated improvement (in the abscence of any external indicators).

You may well continue improving, but there's nothing to suggest you are better than your current handicap - but you are obviously better than 16!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My assessment of your scores would be that the system has handled any indicated improvement (in the abscence of any external indicators).

You may well continue improving, but there's nothing to suggest you are better than your current handicap - but you are obviously better than 16!

Seems pretty much the consensus Duncan.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gaz old boy, if you want to get your handicap down why did you only play 8 competitions?

I played in half the comps I intended to this year yet still managed 22!

Looks more like handicap protection to me;)

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really have not been told I'm not the one thinking I'm better than I am

Like I say get practicing and the hcp will fall and you will feel better

D

Deleted member 17920

Gareth,

have you handed in any supplementary scores. The cat 4 golfers you mentioned may have put some in.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gaz old boy, if you want to get your handicap down why did you only play 8 competitions?

I played in half the comps I intended to this year yet still managed 22!

Looks more like handicap protection to me;)

The short answer to that Patrick is limited time and a young family.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The calculation, as I understand it, isn't based on something as simple as that. It's based on a computer model of the typical scoring per handicap. If you a better than that then you are flagged for review.

I am currently wading through our clubs and carrying out the reviews.

1. The computer model is only a guide and aid and is to be used with all other factors taken into account. I doubt if you would have appeared on the print out due to other cuts during the year.

2. It's not an exact science and subject to a human and his/her committee.

3. Handicap committees will be getting as much grief from those they put up/down/no movement so may not be a good move to hassle them for a week or two. :)

Pistol Peter

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think they might just think it was a couple of (Edit) good rounds you had, just suck it up and try harder next year remember you have a chance of an ESR. Don't think there is much point questioning the action of your HS on a forum, go out and prove you are better than you are and earn your handicap.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The person in the post you mentioned shouldn't IMO get cut

Also hitting buffer every time suggests that the handicap is right IMO

What are you basing your opinion on, do you know how he played in all other comps, B&B, matchplays etc, these are also taken into account. I have a similar person at the club who only plays 4 Q max in the year but wins a fair few other events which we, as a handicap committee, should also take into account. This may be the case for this individual.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think they might just think it was a couple of lucky rounds you had, just suck it up and try harder next year remember you have a chance of an ESR. Don't think there is much point questioning the action of your HS on a forum, go out and prove you are better than you are and earn your handicap.

A couple of lucky rounds ?!

Remember in the other thread when I suggested you had an attitude towards other golfers that isn't very nice - that post displays it perfectly !! Gareth no doubt worked very hard to get two very good scores and you just call it lucky.

D

Deleted member 15344

What are you basing your opinion on, do you know how he played in all other comps, B&B, matchplays etc, these are also taken into account. I have a similar person at the club who only plays 4 Q max in the year but wins a fair few other events which we, as a handicap committee, should also take into account. This may be the case for this individual.

I'm basing my opinion on what I read in the post

He has spent all year playing and his handicap has gone up by 0.4 and the computer has suggested an increase ( computer doesn't take BB or Matchplay into account )

So by that I suggest he shouldn't have his handicap reduced