Annual handicap review

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm basing my opinion on what I read in the post

He has spent all year playing and his handicap has gone up by 0.4 and the computer has suggested an increase ( computer doesn't take BB or Matchplay into account )

So by that I suggest he shouldn't have his handicap reduced

The point was, as I read post 13 was he was given a reduction hence my suggestion that other comps were taken into account.

D

Deleted member 15344

The point was, as I read post 13 was he was given a reduction hence my suggestion that other comps were taken into account.

But the post was talking about the computer suggesting the reduction ( hence the -3.63 against handicap) . So how can other comps be taken into consideration

Last edited by a moderator:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
But the post was talking about the computer suggesting the reduction ( hence the -3.63 against handicap) . So how can other comps be taken into consideration

I think something has gotten lost in translation. Probably the way I posted :mad:

In post 13. The chap started the season on 27.0. He finished the season on 27.4 yet had a performance against handicap of -3.63 to which the A/R suggests a 1 shot reduction.

That's what got me confused.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think something has gotten lost in translation. Probably the way I posted :mad:

In post 13. The chap started the season on 27.0. He finished the season on 27.4 yet had a performance against handicap of -3.63 to which the A/R suggests a 1 shot reduction.

That's what got me confused.

And where has that performance been judged against ?

Is it the computer suggesting a reduction ?

Has he played below his handicap a lot but standard scratch has been low ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Im not sure that the post does say that just that he had a reduction however not knowing what his full record was for the year the report may indeed recommend a cut based on later results.

How can you work out -3.63 based on match play and. B&B

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
And where has that performance been judged against ?

Is it the computer suggesting a reduction ?

Has he played below his handicap a lot but standard scratch has been low ?

I have no idea to most of those questions I'm afraid.

All I saw was the computer print out suggesting a 1 shot reduction.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have no idea to most of those questions I'm afraid.

All I saw was the computer print out suggesting a 1 shot reduction.

Is your standard scratch normally lower than par ?

D

Deleted member 15344

If you do it would be nice if you were to share your experiences :thup:

There seems to be a general confusion about them, especially on my part :mad:

You're nt the only one - it confuses me as well.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunate you missed out Gareth iirc when foxy (I think) did the math on another recent thread your ratio was marginal so was always a bit touch and go under those circumstances I can understand under disappointment and got to be worth a question to the HS

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was rather surprised at some of the reaction to Gareth’s post – he was only posing a question, not demanding a cut. What a lot of posters failed to take into account when saying he shouldn’t expect to be cut more than was produced by his “better than CSS” performances is the way the system is designed to work.

In the June Medal he played off 16, played to 13 and was cut to 15
In the July Medal he played off 15, played to 12 and was cut to 14
In the September Stableford he played off 14, played to 13 and stayed at 14

So, on those 3 occasions he played to 13 twice, 12 once and his handicap reduced to 14 so he demonstrated his ability to play to 12 or 13. The Annual Review is designed to take those performances into account together with the occasions when he either made buffer or failed to make buffer and any other factors such as matchplay performances. The AR will take an overall view of whether his current handicap is as realistic and accurate as it should be. I agree with other stated opinions that it is probably marginal as to whether a further reduction is necessary but Gareth is only asking the question and the AR will be asking the same question.