Ankle length socks on the golf course.. yes or no?

Who's got the worst swing in golf

• Jim Furyk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lee Trevino

• Eamonn Darcy

• Mark James

• Paul Broadhurst

• Total voters

oasis90

Hacker
Visit site
I little while ago my club banned aknkle length sock or sports shoe liners. I'm a fan of them personally and see no reason for them to be disallowed. They look smart to me and are certainly more comfortable to play in. I can't see why golf clubs can't accept that the game is becoming more fashionable and modern and that the game needs to be allowed to move forward in terms of dress code. What do you think?

B

birdieman

oasis, the answer is to take your patronage to another club. Ankle socks are fine, if you wear shorts it is generally because it's hot therefore the last thing you need is knee length socks. As long as the shorts are a decent length and not like the Argentina 1978 football team then that's ok. Saying that I wouldn't wear any shorts on a golf course because loose white chinos will keep you cooler and help prevent sunburn.
Whenever I think knee length socks I get an image of Australian bus drivers who have to wear knee length white socks, navy shorts and blue shirts. They have the obligatory middle aged Ozzie beer belly and look, to be frank, utterly ridiculous. They look like men dreesed as primary school children. Adult men and shorts are normally a very bad combo -avoid!

GolfCanaria

www.GolfCanaria.com
I personally think knee length socks look ridiculous.

Yes Golf Clubs do tend to be the last bastions of conservatism, however many golfers are under the age of 50 and wouldn't dream of wering knee length socks in everyday life.

If the point of the rule is to make everyone look 'acceptable' then why have a rule that for a large group of players actually makes them look 'unacceptable'?

I would like to know the consensus. Please vote below:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree but I only wear the socks to stop my ankles rubbing on the back of my shoes. They are a necessity rather than a fashion statement. I suppose I could wear my rugby socks but I doubt that they would go down that well either.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's that dreaded 'fashionable' word again. If we followed fashion we would all be playing in anti-fit jeans, wearing earrings, tattoos, studs through our tongues, lips and noses, and sporting spikey haircuts etc. Please let's have some standards. There are only too many people wanting to lower the standards in the interest of fashion, but nobody seems prepared to raise them, or even preserve them.

Ankle length socks are fine so long as they are sports socks in white. Definitley not the sports shoe liner you mentioned. They appear as though you don't have any socks on at all. If your Club has made a rule that only knee length socks are acceptable then you must adhere to it. If you don't think you look good in them, then don't wear shorts. You don't have to. I applaud your Club for making such a rule. It's their way of saying 'don't wear shorts.'

I, like birdieman, would not wear shorts on the golf course, simply because I am like 99% of other men - we simply do not look good in them.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Let me open another ‘can of worms’ on this debate.

Why is it that Men are expected to comply by wearing either sports socks or knee length socks on the golf course, and yet lady members are happily permitted to wear ankle socks with no questions asked ?? It’s been going on for years.

I’m all for having standards on a golf course but really they do need to start using common sense. In the modern era you can’t have one rule for one and one for another. It’s just barking.

And another thing that gets my goat. Why it is that ladies are allowed to wear open toed sandals in the clubhouse, again no questions asked. And yet if a gent walks in wearing a pair of leather sandals without socks all hell lets loose.

:mad:

DHM.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You've lost all your romance, duck_hook_master. Nobody objects because mostly the ladies look nice, and they spend a long time over their appearance after leaving the course and entering the clubhouse bar. Men just go in the locker room, change their shoes, and head for the bar. They don't bother to wash their feet and put toe-nail polish on.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
mostly the ladies look nice, and they spend a long time over their appearance after leaving the course and entering the clubhouse bar. Men just go in the locker room, change their shoes, and head for the bar. They don't bother to wash their feet and put toe-nail polish on.

DAVE !!!!!!!

You are spendin' too much time lookin' at the ladies tootsies. ;)

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
If you do where shorts as I do to feel more comfortable than a fashion statement, then please do not wear Knee length or ankle socks (unless they are white sports socks)I always wear the trainer socks that come just to the top of my shoes.
Its like the common site of a Brit abroad with shorts, Black or Brown ankle socks and sandles how daft does that look.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You've missed the point blindpete. I'm not against people with tattoos piecings and spikey harstyles playing golf. My point was that it is 'fashion', and fashion is ephemeral and changeable. In a few years time the haircuts will be laughed at, the piercings will disappear and the tattoos will be am embarassment that people will do their best to cover up. Fashion is not a statement of individuallity, it is a statement of conformity, and conformity it seems, is what most oponents of a dress code appear to object to.

Yes I do admire the lady's tootsies, as you put it madandra. The ladies always look nice, take great care over their appearance and are generally a great asset to any Golf Club. Murththemog noted on another part of this forum that men are often 'wearing the same pair of trousers, sweat stained hat and moth eaten jumper that has been worn without washing for every round of golf in the last 20 years, and then stuffed into a locker to rot quietly, although not odourlessly.'

You won't see a lady doing that, ever.

blindpete

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry Dave 3498 but suggesting that my tattoos and piercings aswell as my skinhead (no hairstyle involved), that I have been carrying around for the last 20 years are a "fashion statement" makes me lol! If you object to the current fashion would you turn a certain Mr. Woods away from your course for not wearing a collared shirt? Would You turn Mr. Poulter away? I think not. Golf clubs and there patrons need to embrace the modern era, as well as fashion as it changes, or they risk becoming Old Mens Social Clubs.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
blindpete, please read my reply above carefully, and also refer to my answer to murthtemog's post of 12/06/07 about dress codes. They will answer your questions.

You don't say whether you are simply bald, or have a skinhead haicut by design, which is of course, a hairstyle, and a very good one I might say.

Batch

Visit site
dave!!

my god! do you walk through life with blinkers on then?..its people like you that gave me doubts in taking up the sport to start with..no earings tattoos ankle socks etc etc..yes i have tattoos on my forearms which are on show when i wear shorts sleeves..you a prime example of the pompous farts that play this lovely game..personally..i would rather see tattoos on men than shirts tucked in tight to shorts and knee length socks!!..
do us a favour and stay indoors dave,or at least play in the cave with which you so happy reside..

Batch

Visit site
oh and like blindpete i too have a skinhead cut..part balding so looks better short..but part cos i have had it that way for 30 years!! dont tell me you are of the balding try to hide it brigade too..!