Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Yes, anytiome including competitions

Votes: 24 24.0%

• Total voters

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Latest GM article.

A huge no for me.

Golf and dog walking are too different activities.

Dog poo - we all know not all owners are responsible, so let's not kid ourselves golfers would self police. And let's not think that "cleaning up" is removing every trace

Etiquette - Fido will sit there static and silent will he under all situations?

Not for me, thankfully one of my clubs has no dogs at all, the other banned them during medals due to the distraction

https://www.golfmonthly.com/feature...QtgsjZFIlYgus6dSqyY8zRgpgb-JFsBJdT9mlE6_oh-d8

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i'd love to take my dog out with me as i'd have a perfect excuse to play every morning!

the only drawback would be that he's a bugger for a golf ball so he'd need to be tethered to my trolley.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
my old course, though private, allowed people to use it to walk, and people did bring their dogs on. They were a menace, chasing after balls (biting through the cover) running in eyelines as you are trying to play. I remember one of them would not stop barking at top volume despite the owner pleading with them.

Dogs are animals so will not do what you want them to do all the time, so definitely a no from me

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Knowing how good golfers are at clearing up their own mess - pitchmarks, footprints etc - I have no doubt that they would be perfectly incapable of clearing up after Fido.
That is a generalisation, I know.
There will always be responsible dog owners and dogs but.....it only takes a few.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've gone yes, but with a proviso that they are trained like a gun dog. I would not take my dog for example as she is not well enough behaved. I have played with other golfers who have wonderfully behaved dogs and they have no negative impact. In fact the impact is positive as they make everyone else smile.

Perhaps there needs to be a test, within your club, before you can take your dog on a course? Play with a committee member for 18 holes and see if the dog is immaculate or not.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the course I’ve just left, one guy walked an impeccably behaved dog around with him which would stay out of bunkers, sit by his bag where ever it was left and I didn’t hear him bark in two years of being a member. Unfortunately this is the only dog I have ever seen behave in this manor on a course.

I would also question allergies, people’s fears of dogs and potential claims where a dog has been injured, has moved in someone’s line which has put them off etc etc.

We are in a society where everyone has to be pleased.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We always used to take ours on the course where allowed. Throw the lead over the powakaddy and he trotted along nicely.

He'd sit nicely on side of greens and tees too. He seemed to know he was some where to behave because we used to take him into the rough/woods to use the loo!

He's 15 now and 18 holes is more than he can walk. But on holiday, we stick his bed on the buggy seat and he's happy as Larry!

Dogs are like golfers. Some know how to behave on the course, some don't.

Would never have him on the course in a competition on case other players object.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
A very well behaved dog would be a great companion on the golf course.
He won’t moan walking to the first tee about the world.
He won’t moan about his sad life dragging you down before your round.
He won’t be a an expert Greenkeeper without any qualifications.
He won’t be whispering whilst your trying to play a shot.
He won’t walk on your line.
However a badly behaved dog would be a nightmare.
Saw a dog whilst playing Salisbury years ago and he was extremely well behaved.
Casual yes
Competition no

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A very well behaved dog would be a great companion on the golf course.
He won’t moan walking to the first tee about the world.
He won’t moan about his sad life dragging you down before your round.
He won’t be a an expert Greenkeeper without any qualifications.
He won’t be whispering whilst your trying to play a shot.
He won’t walk on your line.
However a badly behaved dog would be a nightmare.
Saw a dog whilst playing Salisbury years ago and he was extremely well behaved.
Casual yes
Competition no

Would this depend on the dog being an extrovert or introvert?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went no. I love dogs and wish I had one but haven't the time to look after one properly without farming it out to dog walkers, kennels etc so decided against getting one. A golf course is for golf, not for walking your dog - in my opinion. What next, footballers wanting to have their dogs with them when playing a match? :eek:

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I vote yes. I wouldn't take my dogs with me due to their size and them being spoiled brats.
I'm a member of 2 courses, one of them you can bring your dog with you, other one have strict policy no dogs.
Normally you see single golfers taking dogs with them as a company.
Don't see nothing wrong with that as long as they don't slow anybody and clean after theirs dogs

Bobthesock

Visit site
Anywhere children are allowed dogs should be as well. So yes dogs should be allowed on the course but not allowed to play In the competitions

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My home club doesn't allow dogs, but being right by the sea every other Tom dick and Harry does take dogs across the course and many don't pick up after their dogs along the seawall holes. Plenty of courses up here do allow dogs and ive enjoyed many a round with my last two dogs at Tain and Dornoch, they were both very well behaved. Baldrick (the pic in my avatar ) was a supreme ball hunter and was a real asset on tjr course, as you never lost a ball with him with you and he found thousands of balls. I don't take Rupert very often, way to badly behaved ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’d prefer dogs to people. Unless they were the dogs on the latest Golf Sidekick video ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
i'd love to take my dog out with me as i'd have a perfect excuse to play every morning!

the only drawback would be that he's a bugger for a golf ball so he'd need to be tethered to my trolley.

I took our Lab when he was a pup out for a casual 18 several years ago one Sunday evening when I knew the course would be quiet. Took a huge dump in the middle of the 6th f/way which as BB stated was a right bugger to clear up. Wouldn't come out of the ponds by the 4th and 5th holes and when I was over a ball putting on the 10th the ball was just about to drop from 20ft away when there came a mad scampering across the green and he grabbed the ball and ran off. I then tethered him to my trolley on the 11th tee whereupon I hit my drive and he proceeded to try to chase the ball down the fairway dragging my trolley off with him, pulling it over, spilling tees and balls everywhere.

I gave up on the 13th.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If a dog is well behaved and stays by the owners trolley, what kind of a walk and what fun is it for the dog?

It'd be torture, any dog worth its salt wants to go haring off, chase a few squirrels and have a good roll in something extremely smelly.
Dogs on the course is a big no for me, even if they're well behaved for the above reason.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes.

They are allowed at our place provided they are on a lead. Not that many folk bring them along but I've yet to see one that is poorly behaved or is a distraction. Don't have a dog myself but I'd happily play with someone who wanted bring one along.