Home of golf/dogs on the course

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Had a visit to the St Andrews Links Academy this morning, lovely day and once I'd hit my balls I had a wander across the short game practice area to watch some people playing the Old Course and took one of my proper cameras.

The gate at the Academy which leads to the path along the academy is level with the 3rd/15th green and when I was there last week I watched a guy take several shots to escape Cartgate bunker - I've been in Hell bunker and survived but this one really scares me - you don't really get an idea of the scale of it from this (it's massive).

DY3_9163.jpg

Coming down the 15th were a three ball and I watched them putt and then hit their drive on the 16th - and noticed how well behaved the Springer Spaniel (I think) which was wandering around with them was - here it is checking out why his master's putt hadn't gone into the hole - when the guy hit his drive the spaniel raced down the 16th fairway and waited next to his ball - a very good boy indeed.

DY3_9158.jpg

And here's a view of the 15th with the dunes of the Jubilee course in the background

DY3_9171.jpg

Next I had a wander across to have a look at the Balgove - it's a field with very nice greens and some tees and one of my favourite little courses - the turf is absolutely wonderful to walk on - as is most of the Links

DY3_9175.jpg

And another couple of good boys (or maybe girls)

DY3_9176.jpg

Been a while since I've owned a dog and I'm not sure whether I will in the future, but I love to see a well behaved dog on the golf course.

Last edited:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Nice pic's, you should think about taking it up professionally;)

As for the dogs, I love it but if it was mine there would be nothing left of any ball she got hold of. I swear she can destroy one in less than 5 minutes.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I have a cat and I absolutely love her. But I will admit that one day when I have a little bit more free time, I am definitely going to get a dog and take him or her on the course with me. Dogs are great :love:

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Unfortunately I can’t take my welsh terrier on the course as he wants to be chasing squirrels, savaging balls etc. He has good recall and does as he is told but he’s always wanting to scout out wildlife.

Not at the course I play now but my previous club there were 2-3 guys that would bring their spaniels during evening or early morning rounds when practicing. Never had a single issue, they’d all tend to follow and sit near the bag, non of them even went on the greens.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a members vote some years back about allowing dogs on the course and it was 'no' by a very big majority.

There was an amusing incident a couple of years ago when somebody let their 3 spaniels out of the car and it became a real 'Fenton' moment.

JohnF

Club Champion
Visit site
First thing in the morning or late at night then why not. If it’s busy or a comp surely you would think a dog owner would take their dog out, I know I wouldn’t